Headphone level to line level? Dumb question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Headphone level pretty much is line level, maybe a bit hotter but able to source more current.  A regular "iPod to home stereo" sort of cable should do the trick.

It works the other way, too.  One of my system troubleshooting tools is an adapter that goes from female XLR to female 1/4" TRS, so I can plug my headphones right into an XLR output.  It's not especially loud, but it works.

I usually have XLR ends on my headphones anyway as it keeps people from stealing them... At work, I have made several 1/8 inch headphone to dual 1/4 inch TS cables as well as to dual TT. This has allowed people to interface their ipod and other such players into our consoles with minimal to no problems. I also have a couple headphones to single XLR for test purposes as the signal ends up being a mono signal on those.

on the 1/8 to dual plugs wire the tip of the 1/8 to tip of one of the TT ends. The wire the ring of the 1/8 to the tip of the second TT. Then wire the sleve so that the ground is on both TT cables. I usually will wire the TT's as normal then on the 1/8 side drop(not wire) the ring of each TT then tie the grounds together. this works well for our consoles at work although on the SSL's need to crank up the line trims for healthy level. our Neve VR's don't need the line trims adjusted.

Back