Man this place is crazy

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbira

I was looking through the Black Market, and I just can't believe how much this community has grown in the last few years.  For those that have been around for a while, to look back at the number of projects we were working on compared to what is readily available to build now...it's just nuts!  I hope there are ample backups going on these days because the amount of info here is just amazing.  I'll never be able to build all the things here!  I'll tell you what, though...I'm still waiting for a good DIY reverb solution (other than the DIY plate reverb!)

Mbira said:
I was looking through the Black Market, and I just can't believe how much this community has grown in the last few years.  For those that have been around for a while, to look back at the number of projects we were working on compared to what is readily available to build now...it's just nuts!  I hope there are ample backups going on these days because the amount of info here is just amazing.  I'll never be able to build all the things here!  I'll tell you what, though...I'm still waiting for a good DIY reverb solution (other than the DIY plate reverb!)

Sure a great place here, too much to grasp...

About that DIY-reverb, how about a nice spring reverb project ? If you can find a nice tank then rest will be easy....
and can be quick, unless you want to add all bells & whistles.

I assume at least you don't want to do a DSP project, although people here are doing exactly that.
If you do go this route then be sure to add a 'kick-for-boooiinnng'-function for the spring-emulation  :D
I haven't seen that for a rackmounted DSP-box yet (IIRC a Danelectro-pedal has it).

Bye,

Peter

Yeah that plate project was awesome. some serious DIY if you remember.

I too am surprised at what has been done around these parts. Everytime I see the 2254 stuff I become envious! I will definetly be trying that one!

one used to go broke buying gear.  one can now do so buying parts for projects!

Yea, I have been working on a DSP project. Someone suggested making it a DIY, and it could be. The issue is that it is all SMT, fine-pitched (0.5mm lead pitch), which is a bear to solder even if you're used to doing it. Also, a 4-layer board which is needed for a reliable 120 MHz bus is beyond all but the most seasoned DIY etchers out there. A 'kit' is an option but I'm not so sure that you couldn't buy a PCM81 or 91 for the price of a box, pre-stuffed PC boards, transformers, jacks, etc.

There is a possible DIY reverb is using the Wavefront AL3201 chip. It's still all SMT but the narrowest pitch is 1.27mm - you can even DIY-etch a board like that. I don't use the original 'Picoverb' preset algorithms - I load in my own software in there, and I use the loop Lexicon-style algorithms.

For interest's sake, I'm using a MCF51AC256 host controller (the user interface and all of the presets live here), a DSPB56366, and the prototypes have 512k by 24 bits of 10ns SRAM - the next revision will have double that. I wanted to use cheaper DRAM but getting EDO RAM is exceedingly difficult. You don't need more than maybe 64k or so to do a convincing reverb, I'm equipping this to do multiple digital delays. The RAM costs almost $60, and the DSP is about $20. DRAM would have been about $5.00 but most DSP's don't have SDRAM controllers.

-Dale

I'm fixing to start a reverb project.
http://www.butterylicious.com/Verb/index.htm

Note:  The schematic shown is incorrect for that "original" Hammond spring.  It's supposed to be an AO-15.  I'm not going to recreate a tone cabinet but rather a stand alone reverb..... that is if this spring still works.  I plan to breadboard something this weekend to see if it will still pass audio.  That tank predated 1959 when they went to the "necklace" style.

Butterylicious said:

Note:  The schematic shown is incorrect for that "original" Hammond spring.  It's supposed to be an AO-15.  I'm not going to recreate a tone cabinet but rather a stand alone reverb..... that is if this spring still works.  I plan to breadboard something this weekend to see if it will still pass audio.  That tank predated 1959 when they went to the "necklace" style.

Buttery, You can get those Hammond reverb amps already built pretty cheap. Were you planning on building one from scratch?

I have plenty-o- broken thangs, but thank you. 

I intend to build from scratch.  My plan is as follows:

1.  Build a stand so I don't destroy the springs, fill the tubes with oil.
2.  Breadboard a simple "safe" circuit to check out the driver (which does ohm out at 6.5 ohms) and check the crystal pickup with ohms out in the high megs.
3.  Grab some clues from the AO-15 schematic and design a line level fully differential circuit.  I have some vintage UTC iron I intended to build a LA2-a with but I lost interest.  I'm hoping to be able to use them for this project.

Funny thang is, this is the 2nd little project in a row that involves 6SC7's.  I've had several of them laying around for ages with nary a thought as to what I might do with them.
-Richard

Butterylicious said:

Here's a spring reverb project that's been revived:

http://www.picocompressorforum.com/forum/php/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=213

I'm with emrr. I get broke buying parts now. lol Second biggest cost is maintenance on a lot of different things. And I always put off cables and connectors too. So when needed they hurt too. But I just need 1 more Transformer or case!!

Latest posts

Back