Guitar ReAmp box (again...)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b0b

Hello,
I'm looking at building a guitar ReAmp box like this http://www.459audio.com/cce.htm#GIMP but the link to the GroupDIY thread where this was discussed is not working (and now this link is not working either). I have the Jensen schematics listed on the previous page and also found this http://www.muzique.com/lab/patent1.htm. Also have the NYDave schematics.
So schematics wise I'm pretty ok but I have a few questions.

1. Would you build something like this on a PCB or not?
2. What kind of switches would I need if I want to make something like the GIMP which combines two schematics using only one transformer.
3. I'm not sure what posts to get. I don't want to get crap pots but I don't have any idea what's good or bad.

Then I also have a transformer shootout going. I'm looking at the Jensen JT-11P-1 that's mentioned in the schematics. I'm also looking at the Sowter 3575 and Edcor WSM and XSM 10K transformers. Andy advise?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Andy

[EDIT] some amendments [EDIT]

Forgive me for my simple questions in the previous post. I'm a complete novice and I don't fully know what I'm doing most of the time when it comes to electronics. I'm trying to get better....

After looking at the schematic for a while I think I can answer my first question. I don't see a need for a PCB, at least for just the reamp circuit. The input pad could be soldered to the XLR connection, the Zobel network to the transformer and the RF filter (I think) to the ground lift switch. Or is there something wrong in my reasoning... Below is the complete schematic of just the reamp side of my project.

reamp2.gif

Ok, looks like I'm going with a Sowter transformer as it's easier to get here (Ireland).

Next thing I'm looking at is pots, Q3 in my original post. I figured out that audio taper is the same as log, right? Will carbon track pots (Tyco Electronics) be fine for this or should I go for something else?

Again, any help and advice is really appreciated!

Cheers,
Andy

Log->audio taper.

If you're rock'n'roll, punk, p-funk etc. carbon is perfectly OK.
If you're snobby r'n'b, get conductive polymer (bourns etc.)

The "Impedance" pot won't do anything. The input impedance of a guitar amp is several hundred kiloohms (typ. 1 Meg) so varying the source impedance from a few k's to 25k's will produce inaudible difference. I assume this pot is there to try to emulate the source impedance of an electric guitar, but for that, it would have to provide much more variation (up to 250k) and it won't even take into account the inductive effects of guitar pickups. If I were you, I would replace it with a fixed resistor - subject to trial.

Thank you very much for that! Found Bourns polymer pots. About 5 times the price of the carbon ones. Might go for them though the power rating is only 0.25W on the only 10K log pot my local dealer has.

More questions... Will 0.25W components be enough? Looking at Ohms law I gather I can get my power rating by checking Ohms second law P = U^2/R. U would be max +4dBu right, so 1.23V? For 0.25W P I get a min R of about 6 Ohms which is well below anything in this schematic so it should be ok..?

And earlier I posted an incomplete schematic. Here's the complete one of just the ReAmp.

reamp6.gif

The impedance pot will make a difference if going into an effect like a fuzz face.

Whoops said:
Fuzz Face pedal circuit has a very low input impedance
Yes. I don't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, so I don't remember what I was thinking at the time.  :-[
Anyway the best FuzzFace tone is when it is driven by the pick-up's inductive impedance, which rolls off treble even more than a resistance and damps the intrinsic pick-up's resonance peak.

Yes I also prefer the sound of a face fuzz when it receives the sound directly from passive guitar pickups,
but the impedance switch on this reamp will have a noticeable impact on the sound when connected to a fuzz face pedal, maybe not so much if connected to a guitar amplifier input (1Mega input impedance)

I will build the NYD reamp box circuit, there's mods for that circuit to make the impedance switch to have a more usable range for guitar amplifiers

best regards

Whoops said:
the impedance switch on this reamp will have a noticeable impact on the sound when connected to a fuzz face pedal, maybe not so much if connected to a guitar amplifier input (1Mega input impedance)
I guess that's why some reamp box include an LC circuit.

abbey road d enfer said:
I guess that's why some reamp box include an LC circuit.

Well you know the answer for sure.  ;D ;D ;D

It's so simulate pickup source impedances, so instead of using a purely resistive source impedance you have an inductive one.

Back