It's offical new 6386 tubes. Here is the data sheets on them from JJ tesla tubes

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rob - I'd advise caution if you see any Westinghouse-branded 6386. I was told by someone who worked for GE that genuine 6386 were only branded RCA, GE and Raytheon, and that Westinghouse were typically re-badged 5670. In fact, I even bought a compressor that contained them.

$45 is pretty steep, but I suspect it's because the market is small and they have to recoup tooling and R+D.

edit - has anyone seen JJ / Tesla tubes that match original RCA for noise?

A lot of original 6386 are microphonic - that's something to be weary of when you see them on Ebay.

Justin

I'm holding on to my stash.  When Neumann U47 copies flooded the market it didn't adversely affect the price of the originals, did it? Telefunken smooth plate 12AX7's aren't any cheaper these days, are they?

-Joe

thermionic said:
Rob - I'd advise caution if you see any Westinghouse-branded 6386. I was told by someone who worked for GE that genuine 6386 were only branded RCA, GE and Raytheon, and that Westinghouse were typically re-badged 5670. In fact, I even bought a compressor that contained them.

$45 is pretty steep, but I suspect it's because the market is small and they have to recoup tooling and R+D.

edit - has anyone seen JJ / Tesla tubes that match original RCA for noise?

A lot of original 6386 are microphonic - that's something to be weary of when you see them on Ebay.

Justin

Justin I have 2 different Westinghouse 6386, one is definitely not a proper 6386, because the anode is just wrong & like a 5670 & the other is a proper 6386, that looks like the GE & RCA ones tha I have (although strangely I can't seem to find that particular one right the moment).

You will be pleased to know that I didn't pay for the duff one, I was sent free by the Chelmer valve company to try out, but it just wasn't right when I popped it in a sta level.  But respect to Chelmer for sending me it for free !!

Has anyone gotten a price on these tubes?  I emailed the manufacturer and they quoted me $85 ea. which seems quite high.  Just wanted to compare notes if anybody has gotten a different price.

Thanks,

---Joe

I spoke to Watford valves yesterday who are a JJ Tesla supplier in the UK.  They were unaware of the new 6386, since they had not received any information about it from JJ Tesla.  After I had given them the heads up they said that they intend to stock it.

This may well get round having to buy 30 from JJ Tesla !!

Hi!

jj answer to my question was:

"thank you for your interest in JJ tubes.

The price of 6386LGP is 90 EUR/pc. The shipping charges via EMS to Estonia for two pieces is 55 EUR."

Rob Flinn said:
Did you enquire about bulk pricing ?  They must do price breaks for larger quantities.

The prices JJ quote on small quantities are quite high. It has always been cheaper for me to buy their tubes in the US rather than direct...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Surprisingly, buying quantities of JJ's from the US generally works out cheaper than buying direct. A friend of mine who owns Ceriatone (tube guitar amplifiers) in Malaysia, consumes approx 600 tubes per month and he finds it cheaper to buy from US distributors than direct. JJ are not geared up for dealing with one-off customers so they are not so flexible unless you happen to be a distributor who will keep coming back.

Michael

TubeDepot.com tells me they have no definite plans to carry them at this point.  No other info forthcoming there.

I'm generally with Dave, except for the Collins 26U that's about to show up for service work.  Either the owner supplies me with a good 6386 or there's a new one on the market to buy.  Hell if I'm tracking one down for anyone. 

Seems like Tubeampdoctor are carrying the new 6386 tube:
http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/product_info.php?products_id=1794&language=en

Very expensive at 90 Euros per piece. I don't think we will see clones of 670 now pop up because of availabilty of the 6386 tubes.
I wonder if the tube is so expensive because of development/setup costs or if they just want so much money because the original is so expensive.

Flo

Infernal_Death said:
I wonder if the tube is so expensive because of development/setup costs or if they just want so much money because the original is so expensive.
Certainly both !!! If you've got a Gates or a Fairchild, 90 euros isn't really expensive... If you want to build a 670 clone  :'( :'( :'(

SUPERMAGOO said:
:eek:  120 usd per tube?  are crazy!.I prefer to continue my superpoorman 6ba6 or pcc189
Yes, price is high... but go on JJ TESLA web site and look at the specs of their tubes: triodes are matched at less than 3dB and this tested with 8 different bias points :eek:... You pay for a really great tube... a lot  ;D ;D ;D...

2009, year of Fairchild madness...

Yes! is a year of madness by Fairchild.
I am eager to start a version with 8 6ba6 and 2 6V6 per channel.
Maybe w/ this test is not as expensive. but with 8 jj6386 money you could buy 100 6ba6 and a curve tracer ! (joke)  :D.
I am waiting to hear from your scamp mod pm670 on drums!!!

greetings

Back