SSL "Talkback" Listen Compressor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geetar_king

Does anyone have a layout made up for the SSL talkback compressor?

I've been taking a look at the schematic on gyraf's page.  http://www.gyraf.dk/schematics/SSL_82E33_Talkback.GIF 
And the copy on nrgrecording's site http://www.nrgrecording.de/temporary/talkback_limiter.pdf

From nrgrecordings schematic, is T6 a TL081, it has a holepunch through it in the scan :p

What I really need to find out is what the capacitor values are for C2, C10, C13, C14, C21, C22. They say 10/35V on nrgrecording-hosted schematic.  Is this 10uF or 10nF? is there a way to tell????

There's also a zener diode in the schematic, which ones will work? It just says 10V

Awesome thanks, I'll go with uF there.

I wont need the "talkback" section and only need the "listen" section.  What can I cut off there?  Can I remove T2 and everything connected to it?

And for T3, can I just use a 5534 setup similar to the input on the GSSL with a potentiometer there across pins 2 & 6? What do you think Gyraf?

sorry for all the questions, I'm a noob :( but I learn quick... so cope with me..

what transformer works for the talkback as shown in the schematic. says 4:1?   

is the input balanced or not?

I cut out the one section to just use the listen mic section... is this right? Also chopped pin "D" used for the talkback mic as well i think?

talkback_mod1.jpg

Schemo says listen mic input uses A & C.

I think more can be cut out too? I was thinking cutting out the bottom left section that has the zener in it cutting it to the right of the 10K pot. is that section for powering the electret talkback mic?

Input transformer is originally a standard 1:4 microphone input transformer. If you want to use this comp with line levels, try maybe a 4:1 line input transformer in stead (or possibly try with a reversed mic transformer)

The Zener is part of the bias for the FET, and the circuit won't work right without it.

Jakob E.

i will keep posting for sure.

hopefully this thread will help others with the build. i'm mainly interested to see how it'll sound.  i'm going away for christmas but this will be the first project I do when i'm back! I'm going to do a dual mono so i can run it on a drum buss or somethin.

i still need to figure out that 10K pot near the Zener. is it for the talkback mic gain or something? or is the 10k pot near T3 for input gain and the other near the zener to do with the compressor?

Hi mate I'm with you,
I've been dreaming of a dual mono version os this, or stereo.

Really interesting project.
I feel bad that I'm a newb and can't help with the technical stuff, but I will help in what I can and I want to build one also.

you can cut r9 r10 and c2  (from the second schematic) if you don't want the mics, but maybe the mics are part of the sound?
the 10K trimpot sets the bias trim for the transistor T7
just like in the 1176 it sets the point where compression starts...
T5 and T6 are the sidechain amplifier so- given some unknown test signal-
you would adjust T7 to find the point where it starts compressing, you could do it by ear but it would help to be familiar with the sound of the real thing.
Read the 1176 calibration procedure for more info.
The schematic doesn't tell you which FET to use does it? oh wait Gyrafs' does, a 2n5486
Sleeper

clintrubber said:
FWIW and not to spoil the fun, but it was this circuit that SSL gave a away a free plugin for a while back, right ?

Bye,

Peter

Yep,
and it was nice from SSL.

But Digidesign also gives away the 1176 plugin, and we still do a real one!!

;) and being honest the Bomb Factory 1176 is quite good, but ..... and but....

also theres the SSL bus comp from waves, the Neve comp from URS .......
the list goes on and on.
But Plugins is something that is better to discuss on Gearslutz.  ;)

Lets do an hardware Listen Mic Compressor!!!!!!!!!!!
I would be interested in the Mic amp also, since I trully believe its part of the sound. Anyway it wouldn't be that hard to have a Mic input and a Line input.

;)

Whoops said:
clintrubber said:
FWIW and not to spoil the fun, but it was this circuit that SSL gave a away a free plugin for a while back, right ?

Bye,

Peter

Yep,
and it was nice from SSL.

But Digidesign also gives away the 1176 plugin, and we still do a real one!!

Sure sure, hope you guys didn't get me wrong  :D
I just thought I'd add that there's a plug of this one as well, for those that didn't knew.

Bye!

gyraf said:
Input transformer is originally a standard 1:4 microphone input transformer. If you want to use this comp with line levels, try maybe a 4:1 line input transformer in stead (or possibly try with a reversed mic transformer)
Jakob E.

So try doing it with both mic and line inputs using only 1 transformer and 2 relays...

Hi everybody,

any news on this project?

I would be really interested in a hardware listen-mic comp. We upgraded to an intel-mac a few days ago, and unfortunately the ssl-lmc-plugin only works on ppc-macs, and ssl has no interest to port it to universal binary..

I'm fooling around with eagle at the moment for the first time, but i think it would take months to have a fully working pcb...

anyone had success with this?

cheers.

Latest posts

Back