SSL "Talkback" Listen Compressor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry guys, I have been busy lately and haven't finished the combined board yet.  I'll try and get this layout done in the next few weeks. It won't take too much time to put together, I just have to sit down and do it.  The combined board will really free up a lot of extra between-board wiring that went into my unit.

I have a few drum samples as well that i'll post as well

thanks for staying with the thread guys

yes here is another project that is a nice different addition to the standard stuff out there so again Nice work and I am in for this project yes please!

Hmph. Why would anyone want this compressor? The plugin sounded like crap and it barely sounded good on Phil Collin's song. This is one i could do, without.  :D  ::)  8)

helterbelter said:
I agree that the normal LMC sounds like shit, especially when solo'ed........ but,  with a CNB integrated, this compressor will be very cool for certain applications !

With or without crush n blend, this is a really cool compressor.
Like the Shure Level loc, it can be used in many different ways if you are a creative person.

can't wait for some updates from geetar_king

beautiful work!

i'm curious

what would you charge for:

pcb
kit
completed unit without enclosure
completed unit with enclosure set up and verified?

fucanay said:
Wow, this looks really cool. I'd love to build one once you have a finalized board.

So, you have it setup as Mic/Line. Does that mean it has actual mic pres in there? Maybe similar to the 9k pres?

Anyway, I like original and quirky stuff more than clones of old studio standard gear. Even if I use them less.

Matt

For Mic, it has the original & simple 5332 opamp gain stage. Line mode should allow you to run a preamp like the 9k before going into the comp

I apologize to those who were following this thread. It has been months since I have been on Prodigy, but I am back and I am not dead!  I changed jobs and have had next to zero DIY time  :-[

I still have very little time for DIY, but I would like to try to keep this project going and can find a few hours a week for this project.

I have designed a layout for a single board that combines the talkback compressor with the blend. The board is designed for balanced input and balanced output, and is set up in the same way I did my build, with relays to optionally invert the input transformer to make it useable for mic or line level applications. An external power supply of +/- 18V (and +48V for phantom if desired) will be required to power this baby up. The board is about 4" by 4" and the layout I did is a dual layer board, which I know makes it tough to DIY etch, but I don't have the brain capacity to do this on a single layer and the board would have to be much larger.

I would like to perhaps get a few prototype boards etched.

Would anyone be interested in populating a board and testing it out? Before I get a bunch etched it might be a good idea in case there are modifications required. If you have access to cheap dual layer etching AND are interested in doing a build let me know too!

If you are still interested in the project, please let it be known here as well

gK

I'm interested and would be happy to be a beta tester. Send me a board and I should be able to turn it around within a week.

geetar_king said:
Would anyone be interested in populating a board and testing it out? Before I get a bunch etched it might be a good idea in case there are modifications required. If you have access to cheap dual layer etching AND are interested in doing a build let me know too!

If you are still interested in the project, please let it be known here as well

gK

I'd be up for testing a board.

Mark

Ok, 4 proto boards made up at Silver Circuits for $20/ea  :p The board is a dual layer layout.

I've talked to a few people already who are interested in building a unit to test out.  I will put together a bill of materials this talk-n-blend board to help with the parts and lead spacing for the caps etc.  The schematic for the v1 board is attached below. The board is one channel for balanced in and out and can be set up for phantom power. A power supply of +/-18V is required (and 48V if you set it up for phantom).

The board layout has the audio input/output, input transformer and power supply input on one side of the board. The opposite side has locations for switch and pot hookups, which should allow for cleaner wiring within the enclosure. The board measures roughly 4"x3.75".

If you are interested in one of these boards let me know. There may be a tweak required on resistor R18 to set it up for unity gain when in line mode, but this may not be required or a necessity. The value in the schematic may be close enough.

Attachments

• Talk-N-Blend_v1.pdf
    159.1 KB · Views: 117
Board Image (must be logged into view attachments remember!)

Attachments

• talk-n-blend-v1-board_web.gif
    talk-n-blend-v1-board_web.gif
    220.9 KB · Views: 229

Latest posts

Back