SSL "Talkback" Listen Compressor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
geetar_king said:
If you are interested in one of these boards let me know. There may be a tweak required on resistor R18 to set it up for unity gain when in line mode, but this may not be required or a necessity. The value in the schematic may be close enough.

Hi geetar_king,
how is this project going on?

I would be up for populating a board and tested it.
Do you still have any boards to test out?

Anyone tested the other boards that you've sent?

if anyone has more info please show your results here

thanks a lot

I know this is an old thread, but I've had a few PMs about this and so I figured I would post responses here instead of limiting to PM exchange.  Whoops  - your inbox is full, couldn't PM you back.

Anyways, I did finish this project a while ago.  I was building it for another producer and no longer have the unit.

I ended up making a mono board from an original Talkback board, and then added a blend board to mix between dry and compressed signal. I posted a picture of this board in a prior post in this thread.

The unit I built was dual mono, enclosed in a 1U rack case.  I did not add any metering since the compression is so extreme. I ended up using 3811f transformers from Sowter to match the original SSL talkback card. They are about 36 £ each.

I had a few extra boards made up when I had mine made, these were sent to 2 other GroupDIY members, and I have not followed up with them to see if they were used.  I believe mushy and matthew jacobs took the other proto boards, or maybe they were just looking for BOM, I forget....

I don't have any boards left, nor am I fabricating or selling any boards.

I will see what related files I can dig up.  The BOM and eagle files should be in an earlier post here.

Cheers

EAGLE files and BOM in zip

change extension to zip

Attachments

• Talk-N-Blend v1 EAGLE 2010_06_18 (change ext to zip).lbr
    116.1 KB · Views: 118
geetar_king said:
I know this is an old thread, but I've had a few PMs about this and so I figured I would post responses here instead of limiting to PM exchange.  Whoops  - your inbox is full, couldn't PM you back.

Anyways, I did finish this project a while ago.  I was building it for another producer and no longer have the unit.

I ended up making a mono board from an original Talkback board, and then added a blend board to mix between dry and compressed signal. I posted a picture of this board in a prior post in this thread.

The unit I built was dual mono, enclosed in a 1U rack case.  I did not add any metering since the compression is so extreme. I ended up using 3811f transformers from Sowter to match the original SSL talkback card. They are about 36 £ each.

I had a few extra boards made up when I had mine made, these were sent to 2 other GroupDIY members, and I have not followed up with them to see if they were used.  I believe mushy and matthew jacobs took the other proto boards, or maybe they were just looking for BOM, I forget....

I don't have any boards left, nor am I fabricating or selling any boards.

I will see what related files I can dig up.  The BOM and eagle files should be in an earlier post here.

Cheers

Hi, thanks so much for the info and documents.

Your build looks great congratulations for that.

I opened the files in eagle, I think I will do some boards and try a build myself.

Thanks

just finished two CAPI vp26's with red dot DOA's

The build went great.  Fast and easy even with the stepped gain. 

The only thing that isn't working is the Phantom power light.

They sound great and seem to work fine.  I haven't plugged anything that requires phantom just in case.

Has anyone run into this before or does anyone know what I missed?

Not sure how this relates to this thread, but I would first double check you dont have the LED backwards. If its good then trace your power from component to component to see if you have a bad solder joint somewhere.

Bellico said:

just finished two CAPI vp26's with red dot DOA's

The build went great.  Fast and easy even with the stepped gain. 

The only thing that isn't working is the Phantom power light.

They sound great and seem to work fine.  I haven't plugged anything that requires phantom just in case.

Has anyone run into this before or does anyone know what I missed?

Latest posts

Back