POLL - Transformers on PCB ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POLL: Transformers on PCBs ?

• Total voters

[silent:arts]

working on a new PCB, and realized there are at least 5 PCB mount input transformers which could be used ::)
(Edcor, Haufe, Sowter, Lundahl, OEP)

PCB size (and costs) for the main PCB will increase putting them on the main audio PCB ...
there are other options, like an additional PCB - but you have to drill more holes, do more cabling etc to fit this option in.

??? ??? ???

what do you think we should do ?

Half the time I have an existing transformer that won't work with ANY plan, so the PCB space is wasted.  I've thought about cutting the transformer mounting portion off of a few PCB's to create more room inside the chassis.  Very handy for many people though.  You'll have to pick an option, and there will always be someone unhappy about it. 

emrr, valid point, and this is the reason for this poll :)
the layout right now is nearly like you could cut up the transformer section ;D
will think about it

I've learned through experience not to mount transformers directly to the PC boards without additional structural support. Several times I've had PC boards cracked around transformers by rough handling by FedEx/UPS/USPS.

joe-electro said:
I've learned through experience not to mount transformers directly to the PC boards without additional structural support. Several times I've had PC boards cracked around transformers by rough handling by FedEx/UPS/USPS.

True, and some of the scariest repair work I've seen involved old PCB's with long-term (20-30 years) gravity based damage due to transformer weight. 

true, but at the end we are talking about shipped PCBs - and you have to mount the transformers :)
btw, how can I seen the poll results without voting myself ?

[silent:arts] said:
true, but at the end we are talking about shipped PCBs - and you have to mount the transformers :)

I know you're just kidding  ;) but just in case, are you one of those mean persons that never let their gear outside ?
It's not unlikely that stuff gets transported and the worst can (& does) happen then.

Most problems like this with power-TXs obviously, but on a smaller scale signal-TXs could cause damage as well.

Bye,

Peter

clintrubber said:
I know you're just kidding  ;) but just in case, are you one of those mean persons that never let their gear outside ?
Haven't had any PCB mount (audio) transformer issue yet :D
btw, I'm in DIY since I had to set up a german band for playing live in the world, and first thing what went wrong was a 32A blowing fuse due to a not that cheap balancing amp. ;D ;D ;D
now I know what transformers are worth ;D ;D ;D
that was in 2000, and I learned.
anyway, I did some gear which lasted more than two years on the road over the world.
transformers all PCB mounted ... :D
interesting discussion, let us keeping this one on

(anyway we are only talking about a 1:4 input transformer and some space)

you didn't put that option in the poll , separate mounting pcb ?

it's equally a problem i have , how other to mount the transformer
and i like being able to solder .
When using the Jensen L brackets , i make sure i have it
Wedged again something
My vote  , separate pcb  or main pcb

Hi Volker,
it´s always nice to have footprints for the input transformer (Lundahl, OEP, Sowter, Edcor or Haufe would be nice). In my opinion the output transformer can be mounted off board. I can imagine that it is quite difficult to design a pcb with so many options, but I think there is no need to hurry, since there are quite a lot of interesting projects atm. Take your time. Looking forward to your new project.
regards
Bernd

ChrioN said:
What project are we talking about here? I'm so curious!!
ditto!!

As for trafos, small (like cinemag inputs) on board, smaller outputs onboard is OK, but large heavy ones bolted to case.  And since you are considering so many trafos, is cinemag a possibility? (A bit easier to get on this side of the Atlantic). 

ChrioN said:
;D ;D ;D
we will see next year :p
schematic from analag, but it won't compress this time 8)

mitsos said:
And since you are considering so many trafos, is cinemag a possibility? (A bit easier to get on this side of the Atlantic)
it is not easy to purchase them here, waiting for an invoice since three weeks now :-\
I have asked for doing the specific transformers, if they want to do them their footprint will be added.
they signalized some interest, but nothing for sure yet.

output transformer and PSU transformers will be of course off board.

[silent:arts] said:
ChrioN said:
;D ;D ;D
we will see next year :p
I was afraid you'd say that!

mitsos said:
And since you are considering so many trafos, is cinemag a possibility? (A bit easier to get on this side of the Atlantic)
I have asked for doing the specific transformers, if they want to do them their footprint will be added.
they signalized some interest, but nothing for sure yet.
output transformer and PSU transformers will be of course off board.
[/quote]Are they custom jobs? You may want to contact Altran.  Very nice quality trafos, just not as "popular."  The first time I emailed, I got a quote from Dave next day, then, when I bought some audio trafos from them, he quoted me over the phone.. Really nice guy.

My preference is transformers on board...besides Volker does a splendid job as usual.

analag

Latest posts

Back