POLL - Transformers on PCB ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POLL: Transformers on PCBs ?

• Total voters
trannies on board is nicer and easier but i think that sometimes the weigth of the tranny might be a problem after some time. But you always glue it on board after soldering and everything works fine.

For that reason i voted 'doesn't matter' but on second thought maybe as much as possible.  ???

Something I like to do is drill two or more holes(depends on size and mass) in the board and use tywraps to hold things down to the board even if soldered in like transformer this is easier to remove then glue.

ok, over 50% votes for transformers on the PCB.

the prototype PCBs I will order in january will look something like this:
preview-audio-01.png

output transformers off board.
options for different output caps and as much compatible input transformers I find.
the missing Molex next to the tube sockets are for off board input transformers.

now back for doing some PSU and control PCBs to complete this project ;D
looking forward to hear it :D

[silent:arts] said:
no custom jobs - input is 1:4 and output 3:1
but both are not in the cinemag standard product range
Just saw this..

Back to plugging Altran... The Altran 3402-2 (API type input) is 1:1:8 ...  1:4 with primaries in parallel. It's a standard model for them, comes in a shielded can, pretty inexpensive ($35 each, discounts for 9+) and sounds nice in my 312s.. Same pinout as the Cinemag 75101APC... I think the hamptone also uses them(?)...  Altran also have a quad-filar steel API-type output that I would think they could do as PCB-mount, and could then be wired as 3:1.. But you said the output is offboard... never mind..

mitsos said:
The Altran 3402-2 (API type input) is 1:1:8 ...  1:4 with primaries in parallel
we don't need a mic input transformer here, we want a line input
ioaudio said:
electrolyts dont like heat too much - probably add some space between them and the tubes
thanks for the tip. 105C caps should work great in my opinion.

I voted "no tx on pcb" before reading this thread. But I would agree that small input transformers are OK on board.

Excited to see what this is!!
(But in no hurry whatsoever.  I'm still working on PM660...)

Lets guess what this pcb is?

I say its a tube line amp!?? for a active summing tube type of thing?

lol...

Latest posts

Back