PASSIVE RELAY-BASED CONTROLL ROOM KITS BUILD/SUPPORT TREAD

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want the Display or at least a glass - cover to be plain with the panel, if I describe it right? Guess I have to wait until the material is here to figure out that.  ::) Thought I could already start with something so it get a bit faster as I need a CRM. At the moment I am working with the SPL one and I dont like it anymore. Hey thanks a lot for your help and files you uploaded!!! I appreciate that.

Janzoulou said:
I want the Display or at least a glass - cover to be plain with the panel, if I describe it right? Guess I have to wait until the material is here to figure out that.  ::) Thought I could already start with something so it get a bit faster as I need a CRM. At the moment I am working with the SPL one and I dont like it anymore. Hey thanks a lot for your help and files you uploaded!!! I appreciate that.

Well, I just mill both front and plexi insert at cnc at the workshop. What controller enclosure are you using?

Igor, as I mention before my controller works as a charm, but I have one tiny problem :/ Talkback latch. I made same mistake dozen times by commenting guy in studio. Wow, it's hard to be silent  :-X Is it possible to omit that function without reprogramming the PIC?

Haha :) I can understand.....
Sorry, it comes pre-defined. As I wrote here, program was written about 6 years ago, and code gone. I have only .hex of last version.

Well, I assumed  :-\ Anyway, do you or somebody have an idea how to achieve some signalization of "talkback on" ? Can I make some external light like old school "on air" ?

Igor,
Could you clarify how to install the 630-HRPG-AD16-56F encoder you recommended on the previous page as a replacement for the ALPS?
The 630-HRPG-AD16-56F datasheet shows these pins:
1:Ground
2:Channel B
3: VCC +5Volts
4:Channel A
5: Shield (housing ground)

Where should these be hooked up? Is +5V needed?

I did pin 1:Ground to C on the controller PCB, pin 2: Channel B to B on the pcb, and pin 4: Channel A to A on the PCB. But, my 7-segment displays don't light up - Encoder problem:?
thanks!

Encoder/7 segment display issues...

A follow up: I connected 5V to pin 3 of the 630-HRPG-AD16-56F encoder. Now when I power up the CRM it starts at 0 volume, and the volume increases no matter which way I turn the encoder. After it reaches the maximum volume the encoder stops working and the relays stop clicking. If I unplug the AC power and plug it in again everything resets and I can repeat the process.

Also, I used these green 7-segment displays:
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=HDSP-4603virtualkey63050000virtualkey630-HDSP-4603

They don't light up at all. I have 5V power at the controller PCB. Am I correct that these 7 segment displays should work in the CRM?
Any help is appreciated!
JS

SOLVED.
In case this happens to you....

The replacement encoder from Avago (630-HRPG-AD16-56F) works if you put +5V to the center terminal. But, I found it would only increase it's value unless you changed R13 and R14 to 1K as Igor put in an earlier post.

I tried replacing the red 7-segment displays I got from Igor with green ones, but it turns out that they weren't an exact replacement. I put the red ones in, wired up the encoder correctly, changed the resistors to 1K and now it is working great.

skidmorebay said:
SOLVED.
In case this happens to you....

The replacement encoder from Avago (630-HRPG-AD16-56F) works if you put +5V to the center terminal. But, I found it would only increase it's value unless you changed R13 and R14 to 1K as Igor put in an earlier post.

I tried replacing the red 7-segment displays I got from Igor with green ones, but it turns out that they weren't an exact replacement. I put the red ones in, wired up the encoder correctly, changed the resistors to 1K and now it is working great.
Thanks for sharing :)

I finished soldering my CRM yesterday. Short time after each powerup the relays start to click randomly and the relays don't react to the input/speaker switches any longer. The "volume relays" don't react if I turn the encoder.

I checked the 7805 regulator on the relay board. After powerup it gets very hot and the voltage slowly drops from about 3,5V down. I took out the A6833 chip on the relay board and checked the voltage again. Without the chip I have 5V after the 7805 and the regulator stays cool.

I checked all resistor values and chip orientations and everything seems good. I checked for cold solder joints or blobs.

Following functions seem to work:

- encoder changes the level and display shows the level change, but volume-relays don't react
- selector switches work and the relays click if I switch ins/outs until the regulator gets too hot

The control board seems to be ok as all switches, LEDs and displays work.

I also checked the relay board without the control board connected and the regulator still gets hot and the voltage drops.
The orientation of the A6833 should be right, the arrow on the pcb marks pin 1???

Any ideas?
I thought about exchanging the A6833 chips but I don't want to fry both chips.

Ben

update:

I tested around a little and tried the A6833 chip from the relay board on the control board. Now the control board LEDs dont work an the 7805 regulator on the control board gets too hot to touch and the 6833 gets hot, too.

After that I took the working A6833 chip from the control board, put it in the socket on the relay board and, tadaaaaaaa, volume relays work nicely.

That makes me think one of the A6833 chips is fubar.

Igor, as those chips are obsolete now, is it possible that you could send me another one?
Or does anyone else know where I can get my hands on one?

Update:

After replacing the faulty A6833 chip with a new one the CRM works and sounds great.
Thanks Igor

For anybody who got a kit without them included, these 7segment displays work http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=5082-7650virtualkey63050000virtualkey630-5082-7650 (*you have to trim off 2 pins)

One more question... I'm curious if the 9-pin serial port is to get the talkback mic signal output to send to a separate cue system (I have a Hearback system and need to feed the TB alone to it). If so, which pins does the signal come out on?

Thanks
-Jim

Hello...

I am stuffing the boards and just recognized that the resistor values, included in the kit are not exactly matching the BOM and the printed circuit. They differ like for example RA 22, 23,26,27 should be 1K98 and the ones I get are 1K92.
Is that causing any problems or can I use them? (most of the ones sitting besides the relays are like that)

And the question mentioned above (jimkeaney) is also from interest to me as I am also sending the TB seperate into HP and not need to combine it with any other signal.

Thanks a lot in advance! :)

Janzoulou said:
Hello...

I am stuffing the boards and just recognized that the resistor values, included in the kit are not exactly matching the BOM and the printed circuit. They differ like for example RA 22, 23,26,27 should be 1K98 and the ones I get are 1K92.
Is that causing any problems or can I use them? (most of the ones sitting besides the relays are like that)

And the question mentioned above (jimkeaney) is also from interest to me as I am also sending the TB seperate into HP and not need to combine it with any other signal.

Thanks a lot in advance! :)

Janzoulou, I believe somewhere else in this thread Igor tells someone it's 'close enough' (the provided resistors are supposed to be within 1%), but I wouldn't worry too much. Some of my values weren't spot on, but close enough for me to differentiate which pile they belonged in when sorting. I just turned on my CRM last night for the first time, haven't tried passing audio yet, but it looks to be functional so far. Although, occasionally when I turn the level control slowly turning through the 'steps', the value will jump up several notches. Wondering if my pot is bad...

If you haven't yet, I highly recommend reading this entire thread (at least once) there are little problems/inconsistencies revealed long the way. Most of my questions were already answered in this thread.

PS - be sure to cut pin #4 on your VGA. It will short to ground and keep your CRM from working. That was my last hurdle.

jimkeaney said:
If you haven't yet, I highly recommend reading this entire thread (at least once) there are little problems/inconsistencies revealed long the way. Most of my questions were already answered in this thread.

PS - be sure to cut pin #4 on your VGA. It will short to ground and keep your CRM from working. That was my last hurdle.

Thanks for your response! Yeah, I read it already twice.. And found some answers though.  :D

I wont use a VGA as my box wil be set into a 19" Rack all together with a Telefunken Meter - Section. (VU + Mono - VU) So I will connect it direct.

As i understand the TB- Combiner can be used also without feeding anything into the inputs and send the TB-Mic signal direct to where you need it. Thats how I will do it. Thought about leaving the whole OP- Amp section out on the PCB but decided to stuff it so I can use it whenever I want to combine TB with HP-Mix.

One question is: LED1 on TB-Combiner will be "on" as long TB is active??
If yes I will put it to the front Panel to get an indication of TB... Earlier this thread someone talked about that, as TB will automatically latch after being held more than 4-5sec?

Another Question: will this DC/DC Converter work?
http://de.rs-online.com/web/p/dc-dc-wandler-isoliert/3114821/ It has 65mA and 2W... Maybe this post is placed wrong here as it is more about TB-Combiner?  ::) Thanks again!

jimkeaney said:
Yes LED lights when TB mic is engaged. I'm putting mine on front too.

8)

Cool.. Regarding the DC/DC converter: Solved in my case as i anyway need +/- 15V for the Telefunken - Metersection.

Now i need to find a PSU - PCB for that but thats not a serious issue...  ;D

One question is: LED1 on TB-Combiner will be "on" as long TB is active??
If yes I will put it to the front Panel to get an indication of TB... Earlier this thread someone talked about that, as TB will automatically latch after being held more than 4-5sec?
Yes, make i visible and yes, it latch after 5 sec's

Back