PASSIVE RELAY-BASED CONTROLL ROOM KITS BUILD/SUPPORT TREAD

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's read protected afaik.

A friend of mine ended up ditching the control board, and setting up an arduino or similar for directly controlling the relay board from computer.

I'll see if he can be persuaded to share the needed code

Jakob E.

Hi guys.
Can someone explain to me a bit about this eeprom? What is it's function, what is the chip etc etc. Any useful information?

Cheers!

PS I should add that I'm a programmer by day, so coming up with a new code might be a possibility. I just don't know anything about it yet.

It controls the relay network for input select, speaker select, volume etc on the monitor controller.  Momentary tactile buttons and a rotary encoder are used to control al the functions.

I'm not sure about the model of the EEPROM that is used. 

As well as simple relay control, there's some basic programmable stuff whereby you can set your own level for the Dim button and that kind of thing.

Here's the schematic of the control board :

http://s251.photobucket.com/user/diy33609/media/contr_SCH.gif.html

It seems like the EEPROM is the weak link in this unit.  I also had to organise a replacement with Igor at one point.  That was a few years ago and fortunately my unit has been rock solid ever since.  It really is an excellent box (when there's a working EEPROM!)

rob_gould said:
It controls the relay network for input select, speaker select, volume etc on the monitor controller.  Momentary tactile buttons and a rotary encoder are used to control al the functions.

As well as simple relay control, there's some basic programmable stuff whereby you can set your own level for the Dim button and that kind of thing.

It seems like the EEPROM is the weak link in this unit.  I also had to organise a replacement with Igor at one point.  That was a few years ago and fortunately my unit has been rock solid ever since.  It really is an excellent box (when there's a working EEPROM!)

The EEPROM used is an A6833SEPT from ALEGRO. And there are two of them, one on the control board and one on the circuit board.

http://s251.photobucket.com/user/diy33609/media/pcb_audio.gif.html

It controls the switching of relays and lightning of LED´s.
Best, Fredi

Hi Fredi,

Those A6833s are LED drivers.  The EEPROM is labelled as CRM v2.00 in this pic :

http://s251.photobucket.com/user/diy33609/media/contr_btm.gif.html

Janzoulou said:
rob_gould said:

The EEPROM used is an A6833SEPT from ALEGRO. And there are two of them, one on the control board and one on the circuit board.

http://s251.photobucket.com/user/diy33609/media/pcb_audio.gif.html

It controls the switching of relays and lightning of LED´s.
Best, Fredi
As far I know 6833 is driver not Eeprom. We are looking for the 40pin chip

Edit: oops, sorry rob_gould was faster ;)

Hi,

mine is hooked into the console right now and I am in the middle of a production. As soon I am able to open it I will have a look.

@ rob:

Oh, I my fault, sorry to confuse.  :-[
I right away thought this must be the programmed item, as I had a faulty one. Igor sent me another one and pointed out to me that this was one of his last ones and he cant do new ones again because he has no contact to the programmer anymore...

When it was faulty nothing worked in the controller and wherever the faulty was sitting (either on the audio-circuit or the controller-board) the relays where not switching... I assumed this would control the relays and not the E-prom.

Also if you look on the board from the circuit it could mean that the A6833SEPT is switching the relays, not the eprom?

But I have no glue about these things.. more into analog world. ;-)

ramshackles said:
PIC16F887 could be a likely candidate
(Or any/most 40 pin PIC's)
also the PIC18F452, PIC16C77X, PICAXE-40x, PICAXE-40x2... are 40pin and the same Vdd (11+32) pinning as used in the CRM. We are maybe hunting the ghost here  :(

Mine it's working fine but will be nice to help and also to have one spare. I'll see on my unit that it's used the PIC18F4620.
Hope it helps and someone can program one.

Hi All,
I have found the problem that cause the instability problem in my unit
the problem is the temperature of the IC5 MM5540 , when the chip is cold the encoder of the unit not responding correctly but when the chip goes in the temperature the unit start to work perfectly !!
i redid the solder joints on all the control board but some points are not reacheble because hidden by the three 7 segment display
anyone have idea of how reach these points ?
maybe with a hot air gun
Let me know
Thank you All
Fabio

I've been kept up to date from audiocommand. Thanks!
I have two units completely built with chassis but missing the CRM v2 chip as well. I hope a solution is reached :/

I've been looking through this thread multiple times, but having a hard time finding a transformer/psu to fit the 1U chassis in the US. Anyone have a lead?

Hi All,
After checking an double checking on all the components of the remote control of my control room unit i discovered the problem of stability of my unit :
The problem is the temperature of the OS eprom , if is cold the encoder gain only and when is reach the zero on the display stop working
if you put the soldering iron on the eprom for 2 seconds the unit start working perfectly
I don't know how to solve this problem
If you have any idea let me know
Thank you all in advance
Fabio

Just one thought: i solved some malfunctions of my CRM simply by pressing the Ics into their sockets. Some of the ICs on the bottom pcb side can slip out a little over the time, when you use a desktop case (like me)...

@JAkob
do you have any news about the software of the eeprom of the control room ?

@ramshackles
the Eeprom is PIC18F4620 this one
http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/Devices.aspx?dDocName=en010304

and After checking an double checking on all the components of the remote control of my control room unit i noticed that
the problem is the temperature , if the unit is cold the the encoder gain only and when you reach the zero on the display stop working
but if you send hot air for 10 seconds on the back of the remote control (with an hot air gun) the unit start working perfectly !!
I don't know how to solve this problem
If you have any idea let me know

gyraf said:
It's read protected afaik.

A friend of mine ended up ditching the control board, and setting up an arduino or similar for directly controlling the relay board from computer.

I'll see if he can be persuaded to share the needed code

Jakob E.

@damianschwartz

the pcb/kit you get from member igor but he is out of buissnes .... and we have build problems now with out igor...!
igor send a lot of kit's without the software eprom....

Hi Guys ,
Problem finally solved !!
Today after reading again al the post of this thread i found the solution to my problem, i changed the two resistors R13 and R14 from 4k7 to 1K and now all is working flawlessly !!
Thank you all for support !!
Fabio

Latest posts

Back