calculating a console's total current draw?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outoftune

i know this is a simple question, but I am a little simple myself.

what is the easiest way to calculate a console's total current draw? my console runs off one set of +/- 17.5 V rails, and I want to know the total current consumption now, and then measure it once I start to swap opamps.

anyone able to help me out?

> easiest way to calculate a console's total current draw?

Not simple. Life is way too short to calc that.

Anyway it is low when idle and rises with signal. Which do you think you want to know?

Chips may idle at 2mA-5mA, and rise to 10mA, per opamp. So find out how many opamps per chip, count the chips, multiply by 10mA.

Then look what ELSE may be sucking power. Lamps, relays, and Phantom usually have their own supply, but headphone amps are often tapped on main audio supply.

No music mix session could force maximum current, but it is wise to have that much available in case some busy-boy technician runs extensive tests on all channels and paths at once.

> measure it once I start to swap opamps.

Why?

The idle power may be higher or lower as you change chips. The large-signal all-channel power is more about level and load than what chip is used.

If you are figuring your electric bill: good sound is worth any likely increase of electric bill. A humongous console with 100 quad amps, ab-max 144W in box, ~~200W from wall, costs 4 cents an hour to keep warm. Less than your coffee/donut table costs.

Latest posts

Back