251 clone w/ relay pattern swiching works!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nielsk

Here is the 251 clone I have been working on, built in a Apex 460 body, with relay based pattern switching. It has a Peluso capsule and a Cenimag tranny, and is working wonderfully.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33479004@N02/?saved=1
All that was needed to mod the existing power supply was to replace the 2 68 volt zeners with a 120 volt, remove the voltage pattern switching and replace with a 3 pos (center off) switch, pulled to ground. I freed up pin 4 on the mic cable so there were 2 lines for relay control. The relays use the heater V for common power ( the power supply uses a 7806, with the ground leg tied through a 4007 diode, this brings the voltage up to 6.3 Volts...)
I did fab up the capsule mount, as the factory mounts put the capsule too high, and removed the inner screen layers.
I will use the relay switching on my U47 clone next, much easier than trying to fit switches in the mic body

It sounds great! Very present & big.
I will work on getting some sample clips.... I do not have an original to compare with, but sofar I like it better than the C12VR I have access to.
It seems to me that the simple pattern switching circuit is what makes the big difference in sound between the C12 and the 250. This is why I have persued relay switching instead of just using the bias voltage.

Latest posts

Back