Chrome Steel Panel Test Completed

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livingnote

Hey guys,

Finally finally finally, god knows what work we've been through to get this far...

For you who weren't in on the thread, we did a front panel test.

Disappointed by the lack of creative freedom available from Schaeffer, I decided to
develop a new method of making panels. I wanted to be free in what I design, any shape,
any font, without tooling constraints and proprietary software, hpgl and whatnot.

So here are the first public test results:

panels1.jpg

panels2.jpg

panels3.jpg

panels4.jpg

panels5.jpg

panels6.jpg

I have to optimize the process and change some things about it, so for example JD, we'll have
to redo your PM660 panel due to some imperfections...I can gladly send you this one to see
if all the holes fit, though...

Ruiari, I know we wanted to go negative and not positive as I did in the end, I was in some close
advisory from fab to try and stay away from full negative etchings and now I can see what they
mean, in essence it's a legibility issue but there's more, we can talk about it later.

Peter, well, there you go. DIN17SB and we actually managed to cram all that stuff in there :)

Thanks for your participation and your patience, guys. Here's to you.

Adresses, anyone? [EDIT: just noticed this is a bit confusing, it's pointed at JD, Ruiari and Peter - can you send me your addresses again, guys?] ;)

Merry Christmas,

Lukas

Thanks, Volker. Yeah, that's JD's custom PM660, he has his own design ideas in there.

We can now make custom everything, so there's nothing standing in the way of a "forum
version" for a chrome steel PM, all I need to do is get the pricing figured out.

Look out Schaeffer, here we come ;)

Hi Lukas,
I like your panels very much. Can you give me a ballpark figure, what these panels will cost (maybe via pm). I´m thinking about a Fairchild lookalike panel, that a friend of mine made in Adobe Illustrator. It was really nice to meet you in Berlin.
regards
Bernd

Yeah, sure, at the moment one-offniks are floating around 130€ and 5-at-a-time runs around 100€, always give or take around 10%. I guess certain things never change...if you like, you can gladly send me the Illustrator file and I'll have a look at it.

And same to you, it was great to get to know you.

Lukas

Cheers Lukas, very nice job you did.  :) Those two logo's look pretty neat! I like the other panels as well.
Finally a good reason to finish that (modified) filter-box.

Bye,

Peter

Looks great; can't wait to add meters & knobs!

[silent:arts] said:
I would suggest to go 3U with a dual PM660, 2U are a no no.
Thanks for the warning; I had gathered as much from the PM660 thread. I am aware of the amount of heat that's produced, but I have a cunning plan...

JD 'famous last words' B.

Anytime. Fab will be closed for the next 2 weeks for Christmas holiday, but atm I'm right around the corner from there so we can keep lead times down. Just hit mail  :)

By the way, thanks to Peter needing DIN font I discovered Myfonts.com. This is a really cool site, and
the fonts they have are great for getting really wild and artistic making panels.

Back