Do nothing?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1202426887859

I guess if someone is hurt the best thing to do is nothing?

That's quite a depressing read Gus !
As a "trained" first aider I would have to agree that doing the "wrong" thing can
cause additional injury, so an "untrained" passer by , should think twice !

I was in Portugal a few years ago and at the local "pretty" beach the weather and sea got bad
quite quickly, I'm a big strong guy but just in the water to "thigh" height - I was getting knocked down.
It was obvious that swimming was NOT a good option but an old gentleman was out and swimming around
a large rock around 400m from the beach.
There was some commotion and his daughter ( my age ) and grandchildren were becomming distressed as he
had gone from sight for some time - he was in trouble and going under in the now VERY rough sea.
Cut a long story short, the beach life guards did a "runner"  as did most of the beach occupants, my partner and
her mother stopped me from going in - even though I'm a good swimmer and "ex" lifeguard, we ended up alone
on the beach comforting the ( German ) children - as we speak the language a little, Police came and go to the
grandfather in a boat, he was dead and brought back to the beach, we gave a quick statement and the beach
life guards were later arrested.
It was a horrible couple of hours and I'll never forgive myself for not going in, but in that sea I may well have got
into trouble also ....
Watching a busy beach full of people "empty out" as the tragedy unfolded was quite disturbing, many of us are not
able to cope in these situations.

MM.

Feel for you there marty
even witnessing the average fight , it's hard to know
what to do , how not to make it worse
In this day of cell phones when i was in a car accident
someone must have called 911 cause they were almost
there before i got out of the car !
you cared enough to stay

now worrying about getting sued .........................

No surprise from Cali judges.  The State is supreme, even when the people vote against their divine laws and judgements.
At first read I thought a "runner" was to go in and do something.  That's totally sick that everybody split!
Mike

"Our position is that the common law still gives any rescuer protection," Brown said, "if they don't make the problem worse."

Priceless.

Yeah since we absolutely know that we will be completely successful at a rescue attempt before we do it.. 

No thanks, I'll wait for the medics to show up from now on.

There's the proof of what society has become and more support for my theory that it wouldn't be such a bad thang if California cracked off and fell into the ocean.

I'm not a big strong guy, nor am I the brightest bulb on the string, but I am a man of action.  I've rescued 2 drowning victims, one of which required CPR.  That changed me forever in emergency situations.  I will always stop at a traffic accident, even if it's just to say, "are you OK" or direct traffic.  I have sacrificed a T shirt and some electrical tape to stop the bleeding.  Nobody has sued me....... yet.

Back