pultec transformer substitute for the peerless s-217-d?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesmer

Hey guys, Just came across this:
(TA) TMJ-217A
Altec Lansing scrumptious audio coupling transformer. 15 KHz frequency response. Sealed transformer measures 4-1/4" by 4-3/8" by 5-1/8" high. Bottom terminals. New. 26 available.

http://www.surplussales.com/Transformers/AudTrans-1.html
what do you think?
Peter

the price is kind of high but it would work.
a little low on the turns, 2.6:1, compared to UTC A-24, etc.
Who knows, that could be a Peerless transformer in there as they were affiliated/owned by Altec.
For that money I would probably get a new transformer from Jensen/Lundahl/Sowter.
You want a good db rating, around 30 if you can find it.
Triad HS-50 also a very good choice.
cj

Hey CJ,
I was just thinking of the output transformer, the peerless s-217-d. Since they have the same number and the affiliation, wondering if they were the same. I'm trying to find originalish parts. does the triad hs50 spec the same as the peerless s-217-d?
Peter

triadhs50.jpg

peerlesss217d.jpg

$56.50 was a lot for one transformer 50 years ago! :shock:

Have you seen this:
http://www.groupdiy.com/specs/pdfs/Sowter-9530-Data.pdf

the catch with the original pultec output transformer is that it has a tertiary winding for feedback. most output transformers do not have a tertiary winding. that's one of the reasons the gyraf pultec has a different output amp design (also no interstage).

i dont want to discourage anyone from buying the sowter 9530, because obviously they have gone to a great deal of trouble to get a very close match with the s-217-d. however, another option, if you aren't stuck on an exact match, is the cinemag CM-9600-T. it is also 15k:600, with a 26.5:1 tertiary winding, and i bet you could get it made as 25:1, like the s-217-d. the CM-9600-T is the output transformer for the groove tubes vipre, and it costs $100 in small quantities (considerably more than the sowter). just another option.

ed

Thanks for that Fazeka.
BTW, do you have the whole Peerless catalog? I would like to put it up on my transformer site if you do.
Winston o Boogie has the blueprint to the 217 D but has not located it in his giant stack of docs.
Magnequest also has the prints but does not want them public.
You would have to open up that altec to see what the real deal is.
I could do that for you!
I have the 9530 in my Pultec and it sounds fine.
The 217 I have never seen on evilbay, so it's quite rare.
There is a Freed x-former on that surplus site if you scroll down for 50 bucks.
Used in the Lange eq, not sure if it's the same model.
cj

Did the Lang units use the same iron or other hard to find/replicate? Strikes me as a good alternate path to take. That, and along the lines of that clone naming thread, you can call the box you make your Wang.

Bear

Back