Help me identify ths board please.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slash14

A difficult question for experienced DIYers :)

I've been given an old mixing console, probably a DIY one. But I've got nothing about it: no schematic, not even its date of manufacture.
But the manufacture is really clean and components seems to be quiet good: big toroidal transfomers, SSM components, NE5534 , NE5532, ...
So I think the design may have been taken from a well known console (not sure but why not).

I took a preamp from this console and here is a description:
- 7 log pots. Probably gain / EQ / volume / ...
- 2 diodes : one red and one green

Now the most important part:
- active components are one SSM2016, one SSM2120, one NE5532AN, one TL072CP, one NE5534P and a few discretes transistors
- passive components are 5% resistors and few caps.
- the preamp board is powered by +15 / - 15 VDC

So finally here are my 2 questions:
- does anyone got the datasheet of the active components, more particulary the SSM2016 because I still haven't found its datasheet.
- the hardest question: does these components reminds you of a known design ? (SSL, Neve, ...) Or nothing at all, just DIY ;) ?

Good luck and thank you.

I'll post a few photos in a moment. Myabe they will help you.

Some photos have been posted here:

http://membres.lycos.fr/tacpafwawan/Slash/preamp/

Photos are nearly 500kb each.

There is a clue...
The writting style on the sticky approved tab iassumes the tester is Central Eurpean in Origin
It's certainly not US - as the date format is wrong
It's almost certainly not UK - as the figure 7 has a dash through it (I use a dash through it - but I am a special case!!!!)

The writing looks Germanic (check out the look of the figure 9 and the figure 1)...

Anybody got a 1993 Behringer catalogue?

Are all the boards connected using the molex type connectors? That is what is throwing me... at first I thought D&R - but I check their web site and the 900 series has those all in one big D sub type connectors

I would even go one further with the German connection and say suspect DDR, what was east germany. It's the front panel , it has that "you will not enjoy yourself when using" look. RFT produced lots of stuff that was then shipped to other parts of the USSR.
Steve

[quote author="uk03878"]Are all the boards connected using the molex type connectors? [/quote]
Yes they are.

I just got a stereo input from this console.
The PCB has the same size and same characrteristics but:
- only 5 double log pots
- no more SSM components but each input is plugged to a NE5534P, then goes through a NE5532AN an finally through TL072CP
- the PCB is referenced as S924

All the input PCB (mono or stereo) are then wired to a summing card based on an other SSM component but I can't see its reference right now. Some slots on the summing card are available in order to add some other channels.

Thanks to all of you who gave me some answers, keep posting, we'll maybe know what this strange thing is ;)

Well, seems that I have lost my last source of inspiration about these boards. :sad:

Anyway, does anybody got the specs/datasheet of the SSM2016 please ?

[quote author="microx"]I would even go one further with the German connection and say suspect DDR, what was east germany. It's the front panel , it has that "you will not enjoy yourself when using" look. RFT produced lots of stuff that was then shipped to other parts of the USSR.
Steve[/quote]

1993 no GDR anymore. :grin:

looks like you might have a compressor or gate there the ssm 2120 is a dynamic rage processor /dual vca acording to my PMI audio handbook Wil

WIlebee

Yes, that's what I thought when I saw the datasheet.

I'll try to get a 15/-15V PSU and test it.

Maybe some of you have the schematic of a GDR device.

I maybe could compare with one of the input card to identify it ...

Thanks for your time and patience.

just can't find my PMI book at the moment !!! :sad:

all I have on the computer right now is 2017 and 2019 stuff.
and a craplin circuit for the 2120 to be used in. ... level detector + VCA

I'll keep looking for that book.

Back