For Sale: Gyraf SSL 4000 compressor ...$2500 (no joke)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owel

Found this in an audio store based here in Nashville. I'm not kidding. $2500

Is this different from our SSL project clones?

http://primalgear.com/gy40sslstco.html

Primal Gear WGA???
http://store1.yimg.com/I/primalgear_1811_11898252

Yep, these are at least a bit legit. They're altered quite a bit from the originals - specified by WGA, built by us. But it is certainly NOT a Gyraf product as they claim.

Jakob E.

man, they even used the same jpeg and just stuck new text in...cheeky foks...

I say a 1U to the side of the head is called for!

Jakob said they were "built by us", so why do you want to attack them? I think the Gyraf name is the only problem.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

eh, it seemed to me theyre selling a gyraf diy project for retail no? aint that a bit rude considering they seem to be a distributer for the gyrafs retail stuff?

or av i missed summin?

I think what Jakob was saying was that Gyraf built it according to WGA's specs as kind of an "OEM" deal. Which renders it not exactly a Gyraf branded product. I could be wrong but that's what it sounded like.

o right, i could only see the jpeg pic of the front panel and not the page which give deats on the box (found now from theyre home page)...I thought jakob was being politely sarcastic and didnt see the 'built by us' part...

I retract my 1U to the brou then :grin:

[quote author="Ethan"]I think what Jakob was saying was that Gyraf built it according to WGA's specs as kind of an "OEM" deal. Which renders it not exactly a Gyraf branded product. I could be wrong but that's what it sounded like.[/quote]

Exactly, Ethan.

These boxes were built for WGA to their specs, and even though they share the front panel with the DIY-project, they are quite different from that one..

Jakob E.

they also have the G9 in the line up
http://primalgear.com/gyg9dumipr.html
Details coming soon! ... I wonder what the price will be ??

as with everything ... the buyer has the final choice on whether to buy or not buy, no matter how the product is supplied.

This is what they told me:
Our compressor uses a slighlt different design. The autofade has been
removed and the outputs are transformer balanced. It sounds 10 times
cooler than the SSL or the C2.
Does that mean it sound better in hot climates!!!!!!!
Stephen

[quote author="StephenGiles"]This is what they told me:
Our compressor uses a slighlt different design. The autofade has been
removed and the outputs are transformer balanced. It sounds 10 times
cooler than the SSL or the C2.
Does that mean it sound better in hot climates!!!!!!!
Stephen[/quote]

ohhh yeah..marketing..deparments has not lived for nothing :-D Its amazing to me the "buzz words" people come up with..

Hey you should buy this preamp..it sounds "10 times coooler" than the other one..and my dad can beat your dad..anytime dude..''LOOL*..Jesus Christ..ohh "load" have merzy *S*...

Kind regards

Peter

Look at it this way,

For everyone who has one of their own, you have a really expensive unit in your studio now! Great I can now point to this unit for Insurance purposes. Since Insurance companies need to know the "actual" replacement cost.

Of course minus the 150 bucks for the tranformers and a few dollars on "other" components.

Great !

-ChuckD

I added transformers to the output stage of my SSL clone. I understand the outputs of the SSL is already balanced.

What I did was took the hot and cold outputs and connected it to the primaries of the audio xfmrs and use the secondaries as the output hot and cold.

Honestly... not really... or at least, none that is obvious to me. But again, I don't have golden ears.

But theoretically, I would think it helps in the noise department... since now it is physically isolated from the opamp outputs, and from other gear.... kinda like having an isolation transformer you know.

I've tried my SSL with its output connected directly to the audio inputs of a minidisc, and also using INSERT cables connected to my Mackie mixer. No problems on either of these situations.

I do find the makeup gain of the SSL lacking when the compression threshold is set really low. I'm thinking of adding a DPDT for a "turbo-boost" (a'la Knight Rider) in the gain. :)

Back