Front Panel Standard Dimensions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onlymeeee

Are the four holes that hold a front panel to the case standard?  Can't seem to find the position dimensions of them.

Hello,

I supose that your questions refers to 19" type of case, but I don't know if you're talking about the holes that holds the FP to it's own case, or the one that permits the mounting inside a 19" rack.

Anyway, in both case, the answer is no. Each enclosure makers has his own way to attach the FP to the case, and I have seen different types and positions of holes for rack mounting....

You can try to look at some tech data from the sellers site to get an idea...

Axel

Though 19" mounting holes might not be 100% standard, I've never seen a 19" device that doesn't fit when the rails are placed like they should

Front panel mounting holes for the actual chassis rarely match another brand's chassis though.

If you're using front panel designer software (FPE or schaeffer in germany), you can check the measurements from a shroff or fischer case. The 19" holes will fit any rack, but the mounting holes will only fit schroff or fischer cases.

If you're not using FPD and just want to know the 19" holes: 465 mm apart and 5,95 mm from top or bottom for 1u and 2u (3U and bigger = 37,7mm)
The height of the holes may not be important on sliding racks, but it will matter on fixed nut rails

-arno

Ah ok, so the front panel to the case enclosure are not standard. Ok.  I'll try and source a supplier for cases first then before finalising my design.

Thanks.

From Adam Hall:
rack.gif

Rochey said:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a9/Server_rack_rail_dimensions.svg
Old topic I know, but thanks for posting.

For a 3U front panel (5 1/4") total height the spacing of the mounting holes is thus ±1.5" from top and bottom of panel respectively (depending on whether the panel leaves a small clearance of 1/32-inch or not), but in any case, resulting in exactly 2 1/4" vertical height between them.

Funny this thread got resurrected. I just grabbed these from the Hammond datasheets yesterday.

1RU is attached

Attachments

• 1RU.png
    1RU.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 36
Just noticed that the OP was asking about mounting the panel to the case, not the rack. Oi vey, maybe these will be useful to somebody.

3RU

Attachments

• 3RU.png
    3RU.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 27
Back