NYD-1B (one-Bottle) FINISHED!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khstudio

NYD-1B (one-Bottle) FINISHED!

THANK YOU DAVE!!! ;D this is one of my favorite pre-amps, I really love it.

I'll add more comments & info after I get some sleep  :p

A Few notes:
Yes , the Power TX's are Big but they're what I had... I will replace them if they cause too much HUMMMMMMMMM to other equipment around them. The unit is ridiculously "Quiet"!!!  :eek: There is a strip between the Power section & circuit where another divider plate should be but just for kicks I left it out to hear how much hum there was... just a smidgen on the right channel but nowhere near a problem, even with Volume on 10.

All voltages are perfect.
Input TX's are old TRIAD 150,600:60k - set up 1:10 = 600:60k
I had a ZOBEL & Loading resistor on my prototype but wanted to leave it off for now so I could set up the ZOBEL with the TX "IN the Circuit"  ;)  I'm going to make the ZOBEL & Loading, EACH, Switchable on/off.

I DID NOT have to reduce R1 = 4.7k or R13 = 10k... to get the voltages correct for 2 channels.
It MAY have to do with the Phat PT I've got.
I also had to use 2, 1 ohm resistors on the Filaments to cut the Heater voltage down to aprox 6.2v (AC). They were areound 6.75v before + the pre had faint "rice-crispy sounds"... which went away with the lowered heater voltage.
Heaters are AC but "Floating" like on the MILA Schematic.

Front28.jpg

Front21.jpg

Inside-F48.jpg

Back37.jpg

Side42.jpg

Switches41.jpg

nice and clean. In fact, clean enough layout to be readable almost like a schematic, which is rare to me.

since you're running the out put unbalanced, and heaters are AC (and biased like MILA?) I'd be interested in some noise figures.

My dual two-bottle was always slightly too noisy at max gain, and I'm going to redo the layout. You pictures are certainly helpful with that in mind.

looks nice does it have low gain to your ears???
i ask cuz mine is using a Cinemag 1:10 input and i have really not enough gain to be used on quiet vocals....
or guitars!!

Thanks

Looks very nice... looking forward to more commentary..  I like how you mounted the input trafo.. What is that plastic piece? Just bought some tubes and I can't wait to build this or the MILA soon...

NewYorkDave said:
Beautiful job, Kev.
Thanks everyone for your comments.

To answer a few questions:
Kingston said:
nice and clean. In fact, clean enough layout to be readable almost like a schematic, which is rare to me.

since you're running the out put unbalanced, and heaters are AC (and biased like MILA?) I'd be interested in some noise figures.

My dual two-bottle was always slightly too noisy at max gain, and I'm going to redo the layout. You pictures are certainly helpful with that in mind.

Almost ALL the wire is TEFLON & I spent a LOT of time with the layout to make sure NOTHING important "Crossed" + kept the Heaters "Shielded" BEHIND the plate.
I will be making a nice "Layout" & will run sweep & noise tests & post them when I get a chance.

3nity said:
looks nice does it have low gain to your ears???
i ask cuz mine is using a Cinemag 1:10 input and i have really not enough gain to be used on quiet vocals....
or guitars!!

Thanks

Mine has PLENTY of "Clean" gain... not sure what is up with yours?
::EDIT::
I have some Cinemag Inputs & did want to try them just to hear what they'd sound like but don't think I'll have time anytime soon.
Like Dave says later, does your have an OT?

What is that plastic piece?
The "Plastic piece" is just a Ring or C-Clamp I had laying around to hold the input TX's.

I couldn't use the original mounts because of "Where" I wanted to mount them + I wanted the Pins facing UP.

Gain with output xfmr will be 12-14dB less than without. Perhaps 3Nity built his with an output xfmr.
Nevertheless, I still think the output xfmr is a good idea unless you're absolutely certain that the preamp output will always be running into a high impedance.

NewYorkDave said:
Gain with output xfmr will be 12-14dB less than without. Perhaps 3Nity built his with an output xfmr.
Nevertheless, I still think the output xfmr is a good idea unless you're absolutely certain that the preamp output will always be running into a high impedance.

Not sure if he has an OT but I DO want to try an Edcor 10k:600 just to see if I like it...

As of now... the only 600 ohm input devices I have are my 1176's so I should be safe.
I had a thought of an "External - Step-Down" when connecting to those... but the 220k Load resistor would still be in the unit... so I'm not sure.

I just hate to lose what I love about it now by adding an Output TX & loosing gain.  :(

Hey... I made the :::::::::::::::::DIY OF THE WEEK:::::::::::::::::::

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=21094

:D

Just got done my session & will be running a few test... Hopefully I'll be able to post some results soon.

One thing I did see after a quick sweep today was a BIG rise starting around 18k & shooting up. :eek:

This was no doubt due to the "lack of" ZOBEL & Loading I didn't install yet.
I was only able to sweep up to 22k but later I'll sweep up to 48k with my better converter, which should show more detail of what's going on up there.

NewYorkDave said:

How "High" are we talkin here... 10k or above, 5k or above
Or can it handle lower loads...  like 2k?

The reason I'm asking is I just found out that my Universal Audio 2192 AD/DA Converter has an input impedance of 1.5k (I actually measured it at about 2k)
Normally I would hit another device/comp first that has a higher input impedance but last week I was tracking BASS thru my 1b-pre straight into the 2192. It didn't sound bad... just maybe not optimal.???

I'm shocked that UA designed it so low... but it does sound GREAT!

After I found out about the UA's input being too low, I just ran it straight into my RME converters that ARE 10k input... just to be safe.

The BIG question is - How LOW of a load can the NYD1B-Pre drive?

& What will driving too low of a load do to the Pre-amp or Tube?

I Don't mind a little distortion or even low end loss if that's all that will happen.

Hey Kevin

That construction is a thing of beauty.  8)

I'll bet she sounds good as good as it looks.

Craftsmanship. Right there.

Well done.

I've found some line stage with modest gain after the 1 bottle
[ compressor set with high threshold ] works well so you have
some choice of where you run the 1 bottle gain ,
makes a difference

Kevin,

Can you show a close-up on how you wired the heaters? I'm trying to understand how you have the twisted filament leads on one side? Did you drill a small hole for the wires to come through the bracket and attach on the pin side, or is there something else going on here?

Mason

Latest posts

Back