I'm a noob, where do I start???

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NYDave: I've always wanted to build a Fuzzface clone, just to have. I may look into that, but I've decided that I feel confident enough to stuff a board. Thanks for the advice!

Scenaria: I have decided to go for a Green amp. I already own a decent Fluke clone (by Craftsman) DMM, and a dual wattage Radioshack soldering station.

Peter emailed me all that I need to get the BOM together, and I'll be ordering 2 channel boards and one PSU board from him later this week.

I'll certainly be looking into the bench power supplies, as one of my best friends is right now trying to restore a Grommes integrated streao amplifier, and he has need of such a thing as well.

Thanks!

I would totally reccomend a fuzzface as a first project, its a lot more work than you think, stuff a board is a very small part of it. The nice thing about a fuzzface is that if it doest work when you turn it on, it has a very limited parts count, so its not very hard to figure out how to make it work. Plus, the support you can get for a fuzzface is great online. If you get so frustrated that you want to throw it away, its not going to cost you more than $30 in parts, so its not the biggest deal to abandon, but when you make it work, its an excellent confidence builder and a great perspective on what is fully involved in a DIY project. Plus they sound awesome. Getting into a prefab kit is a great idea, but the cost is high, and while they tend to be very paint by numbers affairs sometimes, its still easy to make a mistake and for me the most frustrating part STILL of any project I do is finding the mistake I made SOMEWHERE within the often hundreds of solder joints it takes to complete a project. A fuzz face has like 7 components and maybe under 100 solder points and really basic and exhaustively documented wiring which you can also duplicate for any stompbox you build in the future. ALSO, RG keen has written a more or less totally definitive paper on how a fuzzface works so if you are so inclined, you can even try to learn how it works in the process. Look at www.geofex.com for more info. Im sure there are people that sell boards for a fuzzface but you so completely dont need to go that route, get the smallest piece of perf board from radio shack, hang the caps off the pots, its really simple to do one of those point to point. Ive been building them for a while now, but I can usually do an entire one point to point including drilling the box and all that in probably 3-4 hours or so.

dave

I designed a booster petal for a beginner built Aron stompbox page http://www.diystompboxes.com/forums/stompboxforum/ has it in the beginners project. IMO its a cool lttle booster it a a little different than the rest. I can use almost any npn Si transistor.

And like Dave said a FF is a good first project

Who here built the rocket?

Hi i'm new here too.

I've been reading the forum and it seems like a great group of people. I just built the booster petal from diystompboxes.com and thought it was a great begginer project. I had made cables and wired guitars before, but making the boost pedal helped me learn how to solder to perfboard. I'm glad I didn't start with a bigger project involving a pcb. I would of had solder traces all over.

I just got my pcb's for the green pre from peter and am now gathering info to order the parts. I'm sure I'll have some questions when I get to building that.

HI!

Welcome to the lab! ( i'm a newbie too,and everyone has been really helpfull!)

One project i recommend as an starting one is the hamptone JFET pre,the article that appeared in tapeop(is posted around here)
Other one that saved my life last weekend was the countryman DI project...three transistors,works on 9v,and i used just a cheap ground isolating transformer,Sound Barrier or something like that bought at a local electronics shop...i used it to play live last sunday,it was a big concert,20 bands and 130k people! the countryman DI took care of sending the output of my foot operated sampler to the PA and monitoring mix...sounded perfect!

You'll also find that project by searching here...

BTW,some shots of the concert:

http://community.webshots.com/user/manecolooper

Back