Missing Total recall

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonsez

Hi, After building  a few outboard (LA2A, Pultec, G1176), now i realized that it's much better compare to plugins version, it's like adding body n' soul to the track. Very good result, now the problem is i missed the total recall capability in my protools, is there any way to make motorized potentiometer controlled in protools via MIDI? i think that will be fun...many thanks..

That's what recall sheets and assistant engineers are for :)

I found a guy, maybe on this forum, who took pictures of all his outboard gear and made "passive plugins" that he could store positions in.  Like a "virtual recall sheet".

yeah....but unfortunately i'm only work in my little studio, no assitant , doing mixing for major and indie label in my country...but you know....I live in Indonesia... :( , you know what i mean....The point is i think thats will be very usefull to make the outboard gear controllable via DAW...and i think it will not be a complex project....thanks..

I have been toying with that idea for some time too. But it will be a lot more complex project than you think.

Motorized potentiometers are readily available. I have some various length/value faders in stock. I also have few rotary ones that I used in R&D. I also made a lot of my own over the years.

However, you will need a hardware interface between the potentiometer and the controller. To send the potentiometer to a position you will obviously need a closed loop servo mechanism. In a servo mechanism you will need a component that carries out the feedback duty, to enable the system to know the position of the potetiometer. This could be done either using another potentiometer or an encoder, coupled to the potentiometer of the audio equipment that you want to control.

You will also need a mechanism to read the position of the feedback potentiometer/encoder and store the positional data. When you want to send the potentiometer back to that position, you send that value back to the servo and the potentiometer moves to that position.

These will all be incorporated within the controller that the control software (Protools) can communicate with.

I have no idea if Protools has that sort of control facility but a friend of mine used to work for Digidesign and in fact at that time he wrote the de-esser plug in for Protools. I'll ask him and report back.

Thank's Sahib for replay....well..i think that's beyond my skill... :-X, but that's still my dream project i think....

Latest posts

Back