La2a RI t4 cell

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeerzee

I'm currently collecting parts for a LA2A P2P that I want to build
and would like to know if the T4 cell in the current UA LA2A reissue
is worth  using for my project.

I have tried unsuccessfully(PM and EMAIL) many times to contact Greg
What's the best way to converse with him?

I think he is busy so keep trying. Are you using private messages? If so his box may be full so try one of the threads where he is the author (his new tube preamp for instance).

Jim

A big thumbs up here on Greg's T4's!  ;D

I've purchased several things from him in the past and he's always gotten back to me when I've contacted him.
Greg is way cool and a straight shooter.  He's probably, as Bluzzi said, just busy especially with all the projects he's got going at the moment!  Give him some time and I'm sure he'll get back to ya.  ;) 

CroatianSensation said:
+1 Greg is great to deal with. Just give him a little while as he's probably busy.

Oh and sowter in the UK do all the iron for the LA2A.

Rob

mitsos said:
www.groupdiy.com

I think they stopped carrying Sowters sometime ago - at the very least they don't have the ones needed for the La2a.
I got mine directly from sowter - ordered on line.

I've also got a pair of Greg's T4s and they work great.

I've built 2 LA2As with original UTC XFRs. If I would do it again I would use Sowter. There is way too much gain with the UTCs and I'm not the only one who has noticed that. I had to resort to changing a tube and some resistors to tame the gain a bit and its still more than is needed.

Jim

Hi ...I dont no much about the LA2 transformers but read the original like yrs is 1:9 ratio & Sowter do two for the LA one is 1:9 like orig & other is 1:4 just changing yr input tran would make a lot a difference I think outputs are the same not sure tho, input tran over here is fairly cheap dont about where you are tho....are you using 12AY7 in yr la knocks level down a bit and sounds nice too

I wish you luck

Yes 12AY7 on both and I changed 2 of the resistors. Smoothed out the sound a bit and lowered gain a bit too.

The thing about the high gain is that the pot is very sensitive and does not have a lot of usable range.

Yes the output does not suffer so if you at least go for a lower ratio (UTC is 1:10 !). Something like 1:4 up to 1:6 would be perfect.

Mine are finished and work 100% so I don't need luck but thanks anyway (despite the high gain they sound fantastic). Its just one of those designs that works no matter what.

Jim

Bluzzi said:
I've built 2 LA2As with original UTC XFRs. If I would do it again I would use Sowter. There is way too much gain with the UTCs and I'm not the only one who has noticed that. I had to resort to changing a tube and some resistors to tame the gain a bit and its still more than is needed.

Jim
Bluzzi, Im thinking of using UTC in my build La2a Drips Version 3. How about if I use half Sowter and half UTC, like UTC input and Sowter output transformer or vice versa. Is there alot of mucking around if I go UTC part way or all the way?

Have you compared a Sowter versus UTC version La2a. Whats the difference sonically?

Im worried that I might be lining myself up for a headache if I use UTC instead of Sowter.

No headaches whichever way will sound good. Having built 2 with original UTC I would recommend using Sowter on input at least. Your gain will be tamed by the lower ratio. Ouput doesn't matter as much but you wil get a cleaner sound with the Sowter from what I've heard. Wiring the Sowter is slightly different and you will need "gridstopper" resistors. I think Drip's board already has accomodations for them.

But if you already have both UTC just go ahead and use those first. If you so desire later you can try the sowter. I can't know which you will prefer.
Either way you will have a great sounding compressor. I've never heard anyone give a negative impression of the LA2A whichever way they build it.

With drip's board you have nothing to fear (except maybe the hundreds of volts!). But seriously just verify your component values and polarity etc. when placing and everything will work. Most people seem to get the meter switch wrong so pay attention to that part more. If you are not sure ask before proceeding.

Start soldering and enjoy. Cheers.

Jim

Back