Anybody seen where to get decorative metal grille in the US?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbira

Looking for this stuff.  I see it in the UK but holy cow it is expensive!!  Just looking for about 2 square feet of it.  I feel like I have seen this stuff on cheap toys or hobby places...any ideas?  I went to Michael's, but they don't carry it.  THis piece below would be something like 3" across.

interwoven%20diamond%20reeded.jpg

I just realized why I think I see this stuff all the time...I just looked down at my AKG mic and saw the grill cover... ;D

How about "Arts and Crafts" outlets ??
They should have some of that stuff, or DIY stores who may have this as decorative
heating radiator covers ?

MM.

consider the process required to manufacture the stuff, weaving that stuff in and out.  That's why it's so expensive, the material is next to nothing.

Yes, I have considered what the process is...I'm not complaining about the price, I 'm saying that I know I have seen this stuff around on inexpensive products, so I know I don't need to spend upwards of $200 for a couple of feet on it...

I need it out of metal.  I can probably find some down at a demolition site off of an old screen door or something...

I meant, what kind of metal?  ;D

Aluminum is nice and cheap, easy to work with but can't be soldered easily.

Stainless is pretty, a little more expensive, impervious to spit and food(for mic grills..  ;D  ) but can't be soldered easily.

Steel is cheap, rusts, and can't be soldered easily without some kind of nickel coating.

brass/copper are pretty, fairly expensive, can solder and be worked easily but corrode quickly.

tin is cheap, flimsy, can solder easily and be worked easily.

did you check mcmaster carr? LOTS o'choices--nothing is too much bread for a few square feet --unless nickel plated-- in a you-47 thread someone mentioned phosphor bonze(?) as a much more rigid mesh

Mbira said:
Yes, I have considered what the process is...I'm not complaining about the price, I 'm saying that I know I have seen this stuff around on inexpensive products, so I know I don't need to spend upwards of $200 for a couple of feet on it...

I need it out of metal.  I can probably find some down at a demolition site off of an old screen door or something...

That's cool, I was just thinking out loud. 
Have you tried McNichols?
http://www.mcnichols.com/products/wiremesh/architectural/#
We buy all our expanded metal, perforated sheets, diamond plate and stuff like that from them.  I'm assuming you need a very small piece for a mic grille.  It really cant hurt to call them and ask if they have a drop of something laying around that you could use, or if you're willing to wait a spell I can check around some vendors of ours to see what I can find for you.  There is absolutely no reason to spend that much money on this.  Since my company purchases thousands of tons of steel every year, I'm sure I can get you some samples if I ask nicely, but it would probably take a week to get it to me.

pm me if you're interested.  People here have been helpful enough to me, I can only try and return the favor when I have a chance.  Follow that link first and pick out the one you like.  If I can't get a sample I can buy it for alot less than you could.

Hey guys,
This is going to be metal sheeting to cover holes in a guitar amp head that I'm building...something to keep curious fingers from burning themselves on hot tubes.  This stuff looks really nice to me:
itemdetailcane.gif

$65 for the smallest they offer (40" by 36") not too expensive but more than I want to spend and way more than I need. Don't need to solder it...
Thanks for the offer Josh.  I'll take a closer look at those guys.

Joel,

That kind of material is sold at the home depot for radiator covers.  I imagine it's much less than $65/sheet.

-Chris

Good to know...I can't find it on their website, but I'll poke around there tomorrow...not even sure how many radiator covers they need here in Austin..they might not carry them here ;D

And check your local sheet metal or metal working shops.  They should have something that has some patina if you are looking for a vintage vibe, or junk they will give you.
I have used the HD metal for psu's.  It might not fit for you, but they sell aluminum screen gutter covers, 10"x36" I think, that I have also used for equipment screening.
At the least it is a good excuse to check some cool metal places!
Mike

No-you're not invisible.  Also all the pics I posted are advertised as being used as such.  Problem is, I don't see anything on the Home Depot site advertising any such thing.  Most people here in Austin don't have radiators...

Joel,

I'm going to the Home Depot tomorrow.  I'll let you know what I see.  If you can't find anything locally, and they have it cheep here, I'd be happy to buy and ship a sheet for you.

M.M., I did miss the radiator mention, sorry.

-Chris

Hey Chris,
If you have a cellphone with a camera, just take a snapshot or something.  If it is at another homedepot, the could probably just ship it to one of the ones here...

Yup...Just spent about an hour walking every isle of Home Depot-nothing like that at this one...THey have 'pet screens'  which are kinda close.  I think I'll call McMaster carr and see whos the manufacture of the metal they have there.  Maybe they'll send me a foot as a sample.

Back