NTI Recording console ? NIGHT eq. Any clues...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barclaycon

Whilst looking at the patents for the NIGHT Eq recently I noticed that one of the designers was Lance Parker and the fact that Night Technologies was based in Utah.
I remember reading an article in MIX many years ago about a console that was designed and built in Utah and I think it was designed by Lance Parker.
It looked unique. Had LED's round all the knobs, utilized Valley Audio Transamps in the Mic Amp. and had Linear Phase EQ. I was so intrigued by it at the time that I phoned the guy up to ask him about it.
Now this was probably about 25 years ago so I might be wrong but I think this was Lance Parker.

Can anyone else clue me in ?
Was the console called NTI ?
I used to have a brochure about the thing but must have lost it over the years.
The other designer of the Night EQ was Cliff Maag, who I believe is going to build somthing similar soon, although his website appears to 'under construction' a the moment. I hear that Lance died in tragic circumstances.
Anyway, anybody have any info about NTI ?

really interesting,
I'm also trying to find some information on NTI.

maybe someone can fill the gaps...

you can hardly find any information on their products on the web

I just spoke with Lance Parker, he was the principle designer of the EQ-3 equalizer and the Pre-Q3 preamplifier. I was a technical support person on these Night Technology Inc projects. I did the printed circuit layouts and helped with the package/case engineering. I helped get the switching power supply noise out of the preamplifier.

Glad to say Lance is still very much alive and still designing.

He is currently working on a tape-dubbing system that has noise reduction circuitry of his own design: It removes noise when going from vinyl to tape, without using any Dolby or anyone other noise reduction.

I haven't spoken with Cliff for several months, but I think he is doing ok and still working with the EQ3's.

If anyone is still interested, I can get the skinny on the console you were talking about.

Lance Parker console history:
In the early 1980's, Lance teamed up with Sam Foster (Provo,UT) to build what they called the "3000" recording console.
Lance was the circuit designer, and Sam the "bucket" designer. They called it a bucket because of the module
concept Lance developed. All circuitry was placed in plug-in modules that plugged into a main chassis or "bucket".
There were approximately 8 modules in this console system.

Modules allowed what Lance called "plug-in-perfection". As newer and better circuitry was developed, it could replace the old
modules with updated designs. This also made repair easier. He also designed it so that aftermarket companies could make their own designs to plug into the 'bucket'.
A novel feature of his module design was you could easily see the EQ settings while watching your performers during a recording session.

They were probably the first users of light emitting diodes "LED's", (for use in consoles),  in that era. They worked with Fairchild Semiconductor
to get leds that were of the same brightness and color quality.

The console was shown at two conventions. At the convention at the Waldorf Astoria in New York, their display was standing room only. The console was quite beautiful with
Lexan top surface and solid walnut end panels and of course, the modern looking LED's. A big hit with the patrons.

Around 1983, Lance designed and built a console in Sun Valley, Idaho. He refined the module technique so that more circuitry was on a single module.
Patrons of that recording studio included Barbara Streisand and the Steve Miller Band.

In the early 90's Lance designed and helped with construction of two more consoles for Cliff Maag at his studio in Provo, Utah "Record Lab".
Later, Cliff obtained the console from Sun Valley, Idaho.

In the mid 90's was when I got involved with Lance and Cliff on the "Pre-Q3" preamplifier and the "EQ-3" equalizer. This equipment was sponsored by
Night Technologies , or "NTI". One notable user of these devices was the "Tonight Show" with Jay Leno.

While at NTI, Lance designed some circuitry for a console designed by the late John Mosely (England). I did the printed circuit layouts for this console.
This console was used on-site at the Mormon Tabernacle to record the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's "The Messiah". Cliff Maag and Kent Pendleton did the last-minute
troubleshooting in a tiny room in the tabernacle used as a makeshift studio.

Now Lance is designing another console with the "bucket" concept, but uses more passive circuitry. Strong peak signals like bass drums, are often distorted on a subliminal level.
His new design is intended to reproduce such sounds more accurately. His goal is also to dramatically bring down the cost associated with building a console, and to
encourage 3rd party designers to use his chassis for their own designs.

Next time I see Sam Foster, I'll ask him where the console ended up.
Neither Lance nor I know its whereabouts, but Lance did say that he would like
to update its circuitry. Module concept would work even near 30 years later!

Hi,
I think the console in the attached picture might be one of Lance's designs. The owner (in Gothenburg,Sweden) states that only five of these boards were built
(around 1979) by a company in Utah called International Custom Consoles (ICC), presumably ran by the same people as NTI. This model was named 'Blackbird'.
It's fully modular with 25 Valley People Transamps and 26 5-band fixed frequency EQ //opto-limiter modules. Routing capabilities seem endless.
In/outputs are unbalanced and there are no electrolytic caps in the signal path. It has the LED's around the knobs, P&G faders and gates on all channels.

A very interesting console!
Peps

Attachments

• ICC Blackbird.jpg
    ICC Blackbird.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 254
Yep. That's the one.
Thank you for finding all the information on that, I was beginning to think I'd dreamed it!
I'd love to see some of the circuitry.

Hi my name is Philip Granqvist and I'm the owner of the ICC console. I bought it from Utah some years ago and I've used it until recently when I sold my 2" MCI.
I don't record anymore and wish to find a good place for the console. If someone is interested, please let me know  :)
I'm not happy to sell the console cause it's a lovely sounding and beautiful, but I feel I can't keep it for the sake of it.
Two more pictures http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gearslutz-secondhand-gear-classifieds/367329-nice-vintage-console-24ch-more.html

Best Regards, Philip

www.grandqvick.net
www.organic-acoustics.com

Latest posts

Back