Condensers, what means: 250VDC, 100VDC, 63VDC 20,

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotbaby

Hi,

do i mind on something shopping wima condenser for pultec eqs?
there are different types with 250VDC, 100VDC, .....

what does the voltage influence and what need i to choose?

Hi!

The voltage in the capacitor is the maximum volage it could work without get your capacitor burned...:)
So if in a specific point of the circuit you need to work with, as an example: 25V, you'll need a capacitor with more than that...like 35V, 50V, that means your capacitor can handle voltages under that values... got it?
For the Pultec, you must read at the META and consulting the BOM (Bill Of Materials) for the capacitor's voltages! I think you'll need some 63V and other with higher values like in the PSU part, that runs 230 to 400V... I don't remember very well... I did mine long ago.
Ps.: please take care with the Electrolytics caps orientation (+ and -)... don't fit them backwards! they just can explode!!!

Hope it helps

Cheers,

Eddie  ;D

In the Pultec passive filter, the caps must be able to take 10V.

And all the caps should be "film" (or oiled paper, but that's very old-tech).

The thinnest plastic film can take 50V, and many types are not offered in any less than 250V or even 600V.

Get the right value of capacitance, and a size/shape which fits. Be sure it is rated for more than 10V, actually 50V.... if you are looking at "16V", it is probably an Electrolytic which is cheaper but not the best choice for a passive EQ.

Latest posts

Back