Your childhood dream car

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewYorkDave

A co-worker and I were talking about this recently. What was your dream car when you were growing up? Mine was the 1957 Chevy Bel Air Nomad. I wanted one so bad, but the closest I got was building a '57 Nomad plastic model kit ;)

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z9228/Chevrolet-Bel-Air-Nomad.aspx

I never really had a childhood dream car. As a teen, though, I wanted a 1968 Mercury Cougar. These days, I'd have to take that Cougar body and make it a hybrid or convert it to electric in order to afford to drive it. Heresy, maybe?

The General Lee!

ev_general_lee_070517_ssh.jpg

My childhood dream car was (pause for snickering) a 1960 Plymouth, complete with truly awesome tail fins. (Also complete with the worst quality control of any major manufacturer of the era; I'm told the QC manager embezzled the money and gutted the department. They got back to making reliable cars by 1962; my dad's Board of Health car was a 62 Plymouth which was a reliable winner. But it didn't have tail fins.)

Peace,
Paul

The only dream car I've ever had was a Suburu impreza wrx fully converted to rally the hell out of. I'm not into nice looking cars at all, but I am into driving.

Watch these, they are incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDi0MZJZ-w0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av0VsTxJd78&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs-jAImScms&feature=related

i'll throw this one in too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4qVFgwEjbs

My first word was carcar.  I could tell you what kind of car was parked across the street, before I could get my alphabet out correctly.  I love all cars.

I loved early 70's Barracudas until I was about 8.  I would draw them all day.  Around that time, my parents subscribed to a really cool club for me.  It was called Wheels and Wings.  They sent you a 3-ring binder in the mail and it had divider tabs in it.  There were tabs for cars, racecars, truck and planes.  Every month they would send an assortment of pages to fill the book.  Each page would feature a car front and back and give you the performance specs and pictures.  One day a pack came in the mail and changed me forever.  I opened it eagerly, and there inside was the Porsche 959.  It was like peering into a portal to the future.

Then there was a Road and Track special that was a collection of all their late-80's Porsche tests.  One of which was the Porsche 959.  I would stare at that road test everyday.  Dreaming about it.  I did see one in 1989 at the Meadowbrook Councours d'Elegance.  I just wanted to hear it run, but I never did.
http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/452/porsche959silversaspeedbv5.jpg

Looks relevant even now.

bad.jpg

I never grew up, but I'm aging.  :'(

I wanted a brand new 427 Cobra... When Carol Shelby stopped making them I was bummed out and figured there was no reason to continue with college (thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it).

I have been recently thinking it might be cool to pick up one of those cheapo Chinese electric cars, that look like a shoe box on roller skates and drop the drive train into a cobra kit car.

I kind of like the Tesla, but not the price tag...

A tidbit missed by some is that electric motors are far less complex than conventional IC engines etc, so the barrier to entry into that industry will be much lower. As the big three sink into the sunset (if the government stops throwing our tax dollar life savers to them), a new crop of car companies could emerge.

The Chinese electric car company started out as a battery company, and for the near term batteries may be the threshold technology to make or break new car companies.

YMMV

JR

I was a bit of a car nerd when I was short.
Though the first car that caught my eye was this one:
Amb77pf.jpg

After seeing Cannonball Run I really wanted a Lamborghini Countach....but looking back now I think I was more interested in Adrienne Barbeau than the car!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT1pxzoi90E

I'd have to think about it...

I used to play "Top Trumps" back in the 1970's, and I loved the 'Supercars' deck... I was king of that deck, in fact! (well, -I suppose everybody makes that claim about their favourite deck...)

c120_1.JPG

I remember the Porsche 930 (the image was silver, a rear 3/4 view) and I also wanted the Lotus Elite (boy... what a dog THAT turned out to be!) but the Bitter CD, the Maserati Merak, the Ferrari Daytona, the Laborghini Countah and the Porsche 930 were the stand-outs for me.

When the Porsche 928 was launched, I thought that it was the way of the future, and I drooled over the launch-edition car magazines for a year or two, before moving on.

Right now, I'd love a BMW Z8 or an Audi R8. -Basically if it's German and has the number 8, I'd probably be very interested in one! ;)

Keith

JohnRoberts said:
A tidbit missed by some is that electric motors are far less complex than conventional IC engines etc, so the barrier to entry into that industry will be much lower. As the big three sink into the sunset (if the government stops throwing our tax dollar life savers to them), a new crop of car companies could emerge.

I'd hate to derail this thread, but you just hit one of my sore spots about this entire "bail out Detroit" crap. For the record, I live in Port Huron, about an hour outside Detroit. I also live in St. Clair County, which is the single hardest-hit county in this bad economy in the state.

I have just one thing to say: Detroit has a great deal of the smartest and most talented mechanical engineering talent in the United States. There are lots of problems, many of which could be profitable, that need attention from just such talented engineers. If only the morons would get their heads out of their asses and start thinking about something other than CARS! Apparently, that's all anyone around here knows or cares about at all, and it has become their undoing.

That is all. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

I don't have a particular childhood dream car but in Istanbul where I grew up we had all these Chevies, Plymouths and Dodges working as what we call "dolmus" whic is really a shared taxi, and I loved them. I also loved that they all had valve record players. Hence my love specially for big American cars. I took the attached picture, if I am not mistaking in Monterey. At the time there was a motor show and it was a visual feast. Whenever my wife and I were on holiday in US the car museums were always on the list to be visited.

Attachments

• Big_Americano.jpg
    Big_Americano.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 194
I don't know what car that would be.  I grew up not far from raceway park, a few towns away.  As a kid the older guys had cool cars one house a few houses away had a split window vette another two doors away had a early vette.  Then there was the hemi cuda a block away.  My friends and myself were in awe when we moved out of the street from playing ball to watch a superbird drive by.  I saw GTOs judges, Demons, Darts, Chevys Mustangs all kind of cool cars.  I guess a split window Vette was what I thought was the coolest at the time

;D
I donno, maybe I'm so much younger than ya'll, but...
lamborghini-countach-lp400-s.jpg

I think it's the "dreamiest" car ever...

A Nitro Funny car - any one.

Then my dad took me to the drags and I got a nose and ear full and that stopped that dream but fast.
My lust turned to healthy respect.

I switched to the electric guitar.
;)

Raceway Park! Nitro-burning funny cars! Man, the memories from the '70s are flooding back. I never actually went to Englishtown, but I used to love the TV commercials with the crazy "chipmunk" voice.

Sahib, I thought "dolmus" was a grape leaf stuffed with rice. Oh wait, that's a dolma. Either way, I'm hungry now. There used to be a great Turkish restaurant down the street from here... I miss it.

That's a gorgeous '47 Caddy! I used to be a big Caddy man myself, at various times I owned a '58 Sedan DeVille and a '70 Coupe DeVille. But my days of messing with old cars are long gone; I just don't have the time, money or expertise.

Didn't everyone want a Mustang [ i did , i gave up a long
time ago as i spent too much money on gtr & recording stuff ]

But for a sleeper , How about a Ford Falcon
that'd be in my lotto winning list [ tweaked of course ]

Latest posts

Back