Your childhood dream car

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andy,  I used to live on Taylors Mills Rd, which is when I owned the '64 Valiant I mentioned previously.  I had some good times in Manalapan, I lived there with my band.  We even named one of our songs "Gordon's Corner" after the other highway 9 exit.  We had a couple of acres of property with a wooded lot and a brook behind us, a ride on lawn mower (for drunken lawn jousts), a rehearsal room, and a pool that we would use to entice girls from New Brunswick to come over for a dip (sans swimwear of course  ;D).

-Chris

The P1800 is what I wanted as a kid.

1964-Volvo-1800-red.jpg

Andy Peters said:
LOL! I'm from Manalapan, which is right up the street* from Raceway Park's Old Bridge location (it's actually not in Englishtown). My dad told me that when in high school (the 60s) he and his buddy took his Opel to RWP and blew it up on the dragstrip.

Of course as the area got more developed, more homes were built closer and closer to RWP, and of course the new yuppies who moved in there complained about the noise. I mean, how could they NOT know there was a racetrack there?

-a

* The "street," of course, is the "Highway Nine," mentioned in Bruce's "Born To Run."

Suuuuuunndayyyyyyyy.....  ;D

JR

I've given it some thought, and I want to change my whole approach.

No more "super-sportscar" desire... I think that I realistically may one day like to own the most graceful, the most elegant, the supreme machine built for "wafting' along the motorway... The Citroen DS.

800px-1974_Citroen_D-Special_02.jpg

Unorthodox. Innovative. Characterful. Bloody Nightmare. ...-and I swore I'd never buy another French car!

The DS saved Charles DeGaulle's life on one occasion.

Keith

Emperor-TK said:
Andy,  I used to live on Taylors Mills Rd, which is when I owned the '64 Valiant I mentioned previously.  I had some good times in Manalapan, I lived there with my band.  We even named one of our songs "Gordon's Corner" after the other highway 9 exit.  We had a couple of acres of property with a wooded lot and a brook behind us, a ride on lawn mower (for drunken lawn jousts), a rehearsal room, and a pool that we would use to entice girls from New Brunswick to come over for a dip (sans swimwear of course  ;D).

Wow, a small world indeed! I graduated MHS in 1984 and never went back, 'cept to visit my folks.

-a

Rob Flinn said:
Roddy do you mean a Renault 5 gt turbo or a Renault 5 Turbo 2 with the massive arches & the rear mounted engine.  A mate of mine had a Turbo 2 & that was a beast, massively quick for a 1.4 litre !!

I've seen a Turbo 2 a couple of times. Totally ridiculous. On a par with the Metro 6R4 I suppose..... But I was originally thinking about the domestic Renault 5 GT Turbo. The problem with them was that the chavs loved them and they seemed to have all been (excuse the pun) driven into the scrap yard.

SSLtech said:
rodabod said:
Renault 5 GT Turbo.
Widowmaker.

Hah!

rodabod said:
Rob Flinn said:
Roddy do you mean a Renault 5 gt turbo or a Renault 5 Turbo 2 with the massive arches & the rear mounted engine.   A mate of mine had a Turbo 2 & that was a beast, massively quick for a 1.4 litre !!

I've seen a Turbo 2 a couple of times. Totally ridiculous. On a par with the Metro 6R4 I suppose..... But I was originally thinking about the domestic Renault 5 GT Turbo. The problem with them was that the chavs loved them and they seemed to have all been (excuse the pun) driven into the scrap yard.

SSLtech said:
rodabod said:
Renault 5 GT Turbo.
Widowmaker.

Hah!

Roddy they were terrible if it's the GTII turbo you're talking about.

They used develop oil leak onto the exhaust manifold.  I have a friend who had one, he parked it outside his house & 5mins later it went up in flames.  Not to be put off he bought another, which he rolled going round a bend & wrote off.  Even that didn't deter him & he got another !!!!  It never felt very solid when I went in it.  Glad I was never in an accident in it !!

the turbo II however was an animal, & it really handled well.  We used to take it round Goodwood, & the Countaches & ferraris would only get away from it on long straights

sodderboy said:
 The 940 is, uh, much cooler!  
The .... positive was racking a kayak on a roof lower than my pecks.  
Mike

My 17' kevlar canoe rides on my 940 volvo wagon. Thumbs-up for the rain gutters !!

(a canoe in Los Angeles ??? Don't ask.)

=FB=

Several of the Renault 5 Turbos also had another attribute which earned them their "widowmaker" reputation.

I forget the precise reasoning, but they would fuel starve on a hot day if the vehicle came to a standstill and the flow of cooling air was interrupted... -was it a sticking carb chamber float valve, I wonder? -I wish I could remember the precise details but basically, if you drove the car in a spirited manner to build up the underhood temperatures (this is a turbo, after all!) then held the vehicle stationary for 30-60 seconds, for the heat to build up, then suddenly demanded lots of fuel, it would use up the fuel in the float chamber, and then stop dead.

-Emphasis on the "dead", for several people.

The worst thing that you could do would be to take it for a spirited drive down a country lane in the summer, come to a complete stop at an intersection, and then decide that there was plenty of room for you to pull out in front of that large articulated lorry which is doing 70MPH towards you.

The car would indeed spring forward out of the side-road (using the fuel in the float chamber), and only when it was in front of the truck would the engine actually fail... Not BEFORE you moved off.

Apparently solvable with a heat-shield, which was later introduced if I recall correctly... but that car apparently filled a few coffins when the driver didn't in fact do anything "wrong".

Keith

Rob Flinn said:
I have a friend who had one, he parked it outside his house & 5mins later it went up in flames.

Exactly the same thing happened to a friend of a friend of mine. Sounds bloody awful! I remember standing, chatting to my dad outside my '68 VW camper and suddenly smelling a strong whiff of petrol. One of the fule hoses had started a bloody leak and there was petrol pissing down the road! My dad ran into the house and grabbed some spare that we had and managed to cobble it together ina  few minutes.

Oh, another car I'd like to add is the Lotus (Talbot) Sunbeam. I saw one at a hill-climb once and it was amazing.

SSLtech said:
Several of the Renault 5 Turbos also had another attribute which earned them their "widowmaker" reputation.

I forget the precise reasoning, but they would fuel starve on a hot day if the vehicle came to a standstill and the flow of cooling air was interrupted... -was it a sticking carb chamber float valve, I wonder? -I wish I could remember the precise details but basically, if you drove the car in a spirited manner to build up the underhood temperatures (this is a turbo, after all!) then held the vehicle stationary for 30-60 seconds, for the heat to build up, then suddenly demanded lots of fuel, it would use up the fuel in the float chamber, and then stop dead.

-Emphasis on the "dead", for several people.

The worst thing that you could do would be to take it for a spirited drive down a country lane in the summer, come to a complete stop at an intersection, and then decide that there was plenty of room for you to pull out in front of that large articulated lorry which is doing 70MPH towards you.

The car would indeed spring forward out of the side-road (using the fuel in the float chamber), and only when it was in front of the truck would the engine actually fail... Not BEFORE you moved off.

Apparently solvable with a heat-shield, which was later introduced if I recall correctly... but that car apparently filled a few coffins when the driver didn't in fact do anything "wrong".

Keith

keith I think all Renaults had this problem at the time. My mate inherited a Renault Savanna (I think) that did exactly what you are saying & it wasn't turbocharged.  Weird since They were doing quite well at F1 at the time ???

rodabod said:
Oh, another car I'd like to add is the Lotus (Talbot) Sunbeam. I saw one at a hill-climb once and it was amazing.

I would bet that only the really well looked after ones haven't rusted away.    But a great car, like the sporty chevette that I can't remamber its name.

Of course you know what lotus stands for ?

LOTUS = Loads Of Trouble Usually Serious

Maybe they should stick to Olympic championship winning track bicycles !!

I think the first car to catch my eye when I was just a nipper was the Ferrari 250 LM which I saw featured in a TV programme about Ferraris. My Dad's been mad about Italian cars for longer than I can remember and, even though I don't have a driving license, I think I've caught the bug!

The 250 LM still has to be one of my favourites...

250lm2eg4.jpg

Off topic but fast

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/carroll/bal-md.fastcar07feb07,0,787895,full.story

Latest posts

Back