Matt clearcoat in UK?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr nEon

Hi everyone!

I have been having a lot of success with SSLtechs "super77" method of toner transfer , both on raw aluminium and painted panels.

However , the only clearcoats I seem to be able to find are high gloss. In daylight they look fine , but under studio lights the shiny glare doesn't look so good , and makes it rather difficult to read the panel lettering..

This method of adding lettering/graphics really is superb , and on the right background colour it looks close to silk sceen .I can imagine how a matt clearcoat would be the perfect way to seal it , but I can't for the life of me find anything in the uk.

I tried the plastikote matt "clear sealer" which is water based , but that was horrible , I think it's mainly for paper/card etc..  , and plastikote stuff in general can give weird results over other acryllics anyway..

Anyone know of a good spray matt clearcoat ,that is available here in the UK??

Cheers

nEon.

Yes... it is called 1000 grade wet'n'dry. Grab a sheet or two. Make sure your laquer is fully dry, wet the paper and gently take the shine off. Be careful not to go through the laquer.

peter

Thanks Peter!

What kind of pressure do you apply to get an even result , and do you use a block or by hand to get the right feel??

I've tried this approach many times , admittedly with 1500 grit , and the results were pretty bad , scratchy looking , under studio lights . Maybe I didn't sand for long enough ?

Under the sanded attempts I've made so far, the graphics always seemed to lose their sharpness ,which is why I've just been leaving the gloss finish intact , instead.

But I'd rather have a matt finish, and I'd like to try the matt spray,if I can find a uk supplier... I suspect it is easier to get it in the states , since it gets mentioned a lot on here.

Peter , I'd love to hear more about how you get the sanded gloss to look right ...because in some ways , if I could perfect that ,it may be better. I like the toughness of the gloss clearcoat,and after experimenting, I've found one that works well with the other paint layers,glue, and toner, without any nasty reactions.

many thanks

nEon.

neon,
If 1500 isn't getting you what you want, then 1000 will be no forgen good to you either.
Maybe try a rubbing compound to take the edge off instead.

peter

Ahh..ok I'll try rubbing compound..

I know nothing about that stuff , so I can see some googling will be in order...

Ska1 , do a search for ssltechs ( or ssl keef's) "super77 method"...lots of posts , but u can check out a discussion here:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=27107.20

Halfway down the page , check my post ...tips to getting it to work properly..

Thanks for all the help , guys..

Would still love to know of a brand of matte spray that anyone may recommend..??

cheers

nEon.

Latest posts

Back