Any interest in remote controlled preamps?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me and Fabio have been working on one for a while,  the idea was to be able to control with multiple protocols.  We are kind of far from getting anything done, but we have the basics down.  Last time I spoke to him we were looking for someone with control protocol and coding experience.  I'll keep an eye on this thread and also keep you posted on our progress.

take care
Gil

Now I am thinking it would be better to make it MIDI controlled. This is what Aphex (over ethernet)uses, & they have free remote control software....and what Digi uses, & others, I think. It is easy to send MIDI over fiber, and there are so many cool, cheap ways to control it, automate it, there are 128 channels, & so on.
I'll see if I can find the MIDI implementation for Digi, it is probably MIDI volume for level & some realtimes for the switches.
If there can be one set up for the PGA, and one set up foe servo control, I think all the bases would be covered.
Is there anything like the PGA that is a controlled pot? (EQ, compressor, sends.....)

Very cool indeed.....is this waht you are using in your MIDI controlled compressor? It seems like a generaic MIDI interface to ?? would be useful to lots of us

Nah, the MIDI controlled compressor uses motorized pots.  I don't want the tube sound to pass through any silicon. Here's a link to a pic:

http://www.kenetek.com/Portals/3/img/2U_VM-1.jpg

Here's a link to a forum post with more detail about the project:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=31752.0

All the pots move on their own. During a mix, you can change the pots and switches just as you would any conventional vari-mu compressor. The microprocessor records the moves and sends them across MIDI as either continuous contoller messages or note on/note off messages. If you record the moves to a track in your DAW, during playback the pots replicate the moves. A snapshot mode using system exclusive messages is in development. The joystick is connected directly to the microprocessor and is used for selecting parameters. It can also be used to control two parameters simultaneously. For example, attack and release or input and output gains.

---Joe

nielsk said:
Very cool indeed.....is this waht you are using in your MIDI controlled compressor? It seems like a generaic MIDI interface to ?? would be useful to lots of us

Latest posts

Back