NYC Area DIY Group

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmygrimm

Hello All,

I recently made a friend who is interested in starting a group for DIYers / Audio Hobbyists here in NYC. Particulars have not been completely determined, but the general idea is to have bi-monthly meetings to "show and tell" in-progress and completed projects, discuss ideas, and have guest speakers. If you own / work at an audio company, or are one of our more knowledgeable folks, please contact me if you would be interested / available to speak.

He has found a meeting space in a public library in Manhattan which provides free space for technology-oriented meetings. We're looking to get 20 people to start with. Not sure on time / day-of-week yet. If you have any other suggestions, don't hesitate to post in this thread, or contact me via email.

Thanks, and please be in touch!

Tim

Why, yes! Is there a joke I'm missing?

Seriously, I know you've designed some great projects around here, and if you are available to participate (as a speaker or member) that would be fantastic.

Tim

might be interesting. speakers!!?? are we talking classroom type atmosphere. i was thinking more meet in a quiet (or loud) bar and B.S. with each other . open to anything though.  im located in long beach.
can I bring my laptop!!

The secrets to the universe are on it.  And some Roots Radics, I'm sure- OH, sorry, same thing :blush:
Can I bring my laptop?
No secrets, it is an old Compaq, 286/287 era, that I DIY modded into a smokeless bong (korean for soddering iron).
Seriously, I would put a flame under my bum to present bi-monthly.  That's every fourth fortnight, right?
Mike

My laptop is a treasure chest of schemos, simulations, data sheets...plug her up to one of the LCDs in the bar and we will be rockin. The bar would be more fun than a library, especially if we go to a different one each time (month) we meet.

The vibe my friend had in mind involved some actual listening, which might be rough in a bar, but there's always the after party.

Though I would love to see the reactions of random bar visitors when their ESPN is replaced with tube mic pre schematics.

I'll keep everyone posted on progress. It'd be easier to do over email than PM, so please send me an email.

Tim

timmygrimm said:
The vibe my friend had in mind involved some actual listening, which might be rough in a bar, but there's always the after party.

Though I would love to see the reactions of random bar visitors when their ESPN is replaced with tube mic pre schematics.

I'll keep everyone posted on progress. It'd be easier to do over email than PM, so please send me an email.

Tim

That just means we have to pick the right bar. Or we can quietly shake martinis in the library... That's the kind of diy I think we can all get into!

community center?  bar?  someones studio?  we dont have to have the same type of meeting or meet in the same place each time. i know i would gain alot from these meetings. dont have much to offer except some projects for head to head testing.  G7,Royer mics. hamptone LCMP, and soon a D-AOC(full wave comp, no other mods as yet).i think an informal(ok there all gonna be fairly informal) meeting might work for the first go round.no agenda just discuss what were gonna do and how we might go about doing it.
first we have to develop our secret handshake and elect the High Grand Exalted Puba. im only counting 6 members so far. enough to start with. Anyone else??

Sounds cool.  I'll cross the B or T if my time allows, which is getting slim.  Depending on how much planning you want to put into it, you could plan the meeting at the bar with a few "organizers" and then have it in a Library.  If anyone has connections to AES, those connections could be used to get speakers or maybe find a space. 

http://www.aes.org/sections/ny/

I tried to search NY public library's site for free meeting rooms without much luck.  A University may be a possibility if anyone has any connections.  I am friendly with the head of Steven's tech in Hoboken, who is involved with the the Moog Historical society.  He may be open to us using space if we let students attend.  Does anyone have any ties to New School, NYU or CUNY/Hunter?  Seems most places in manhattan what money.

Are you surprised...? I remember one guy who lived a few blocks away and he still couldn't make the time after he contacted me.

anyone up for a bar night without timmy's "Group"?? although tim your definitly welcome. im on long island but im thinking somewhere in brooklyn might be more central to the 5 boroughs,L.I., eastern jersy and westchester. yeah im pretty optomistic (naive)  any one game?  how about first or second week in april? fri,sat, sun, early eve? just throwing it out there to keep this going.

My studio is in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. There are at least five bars within 20 paces of my front door. Microphones would be difficult at my place because there is no recording space but the listening would be good. It would be as good as spot to meet as anyplace else. Especially for me.

Can I bring my (31) tube compressor. I would challenge a real Fairchild670 with it.

The service elevator closes at 5:00. The passenger elevator has a two ton limit. I think we're good.

Latest posts

Back