UTC A-24 Transformer Physical Drawing Needed. Please help!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Hi all ... I am in a process of embarking on my LA-2A build, and need a physical drawing/dimensions of an UTC A-24 transformer.  I need to pre-drill my case to mount the A-24 and would like to do it right?  Can anyone help the noob please?

Thank you,

Winston

sahib said:
I am at home just now but I'll post it from the office tomorrow if nobody is able to post before.

Big thanks! I don't want to destroy the case by drilling the wrong holes ...

Winston

mad.ax said:
Hello,

here you are, from 1955 UTC catalog

Axel

Big thanks for your help Axel, but the machine shop that is going to fabricate the case for me (drill/punch holes, etc.) requires a physical drawing of the A-24 with dimensions (in mm) ...  Unfortunately, I don't have this transformer here to do the measurements myself ...

Winston

im a noob myself but something ive learned from years of carpentry experience. dont drill the holes,align or cut anything till you have the hardware. if your able to get the specs thats fine but you may decide on a different transformer for a currently unforseen reason. maybe a little overly cautious, but this rule has saved me a few times since ive started using it and i started doing things this way because i was burned a few times by not being patient. IMHO

Here is the template.

I thought I had some A24 but couldn't find them. Anyhow, all the A series has the same mechanical structure. I checked it with A10,11, 12, 16, 20, 22, 25, 35, 39 etc. all the same. I also have the UTC catalogue but it does not give a template.

Mounting hole centres are 29.6, I made the screw holes 3mm which is slightly larger than the original. This is good because it gives you few tenths of a milimetre for aligning. Centre core for the solder tabs is 33mm in diameter, and I have also been generous on the aperture of the ground tab. It is r4 or 8mm in diameter and 20mm from the centre. I indicated it that way because your engineer will always reference to the centre.

Good luck.

Attachments

• UTCtemplate.jpg
    UTCtemplate.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 97
Hello,

UTC advise a cutout diameter of 1 3/8" = 34.925 mm. if my maths are correct.
Mounting is 1 5/32" = 29.37 mm. Close enough...

Axel

Latest posts

Back