Elam 251/C12 Diy questions.......

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary o

A while back I soldered a point to point circuit of the Elam 251 with the 6072 together in the body of dead AKG solid tube along with a T14 transformer borred from a C28A.....I shelved the project for some reason tho it did work ok with solid tubes electret capsule....Elam is in cardiod mode.....

At that time i think I tried to wire up a Violet design Lollipop capsule I have...Vin67 I think it is called, a copy of a Neuman U67 I believe.
I wasnt sure how to connect lolly to the amp & am still not sure, the lolly has one centre terminal the other is the metal body, results at the time was it didnt sound as good as the way I usually use the lollipop which is on a AKG C28 A, wich Im told is the same circuit as the AKG C12.......

Anyway Iv bean fiddling today and have connected it up differently .....it sounds better but has hi output....

My main question is should it have more level than the C28A /C12 circuit?....if so how much ?

I have DIYed all my pres & limiters .....I was testing using a DIY Mccurdy valve pre A300 or U300 cant remember ....dont know if anyone knows that prob not much help .....the combo of the Elam & the Mccurdy seems to overload my DIY Ba6a and my paint by numbers Diy 1176....tho the 1176 squashes it a lot & sounds great.....but I have no choice to squash the sound.....

When the C28A is used, its a lower level & I can control it without squashing if I want....the C28A sounds slightly sibilant & not a warm as the Elam.....nightmare tryin to discribe sound.

Thanks for reading.

just add a pad switch. look at the brauner vm1 schematics, I think you could do it the same way. I think you put a 270pF to ground with a switch, on the way capsule to grid

nicholas

Thanks nicholas didnt really wanna use pads due to noise level...I was just wondering if the Ela 251 should be much louder than a C28A/C12....Cheers :)

Latest posts

Back