Minimalist kegerator - Peltier cooling?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1820656349_b67fcfb582.jpg

...THAT'S a noyfe!

The 'D' comes from phonetic similarity to the words 'Ridge', 'Bridge' etc. couple that with some potential for havoc if you take the 'D' out of "fridge"... it's then only one 'e' away from a fairly horrid word.

Then there's the awkward rule in English that an 'e' at the end of a word tends to lengthen the vowel... 'Rid' becomes "ride", 'Sid' becomes "side", in which case "frige" would be pronounced to rhyme with "oblige". -The 'D' is therefore a handy indicative courtesy to point towards a kinship with 'bridge', 'ridge' etc.

-A fridge too far.

It's always been -to my mind at least- a more strongly American than English tendency to lean towards such phonetic association... rather like the past tense of 'Dive'. Ask any Brit and they will ALWAYS say "Dived". Usually, only an American will ever say "dove"; and this is a phonetic association with strive/strove, drive/drove etc.

Keith

FWIW...my DIY peltier experience....
I built a temperature stable environment for my voltage standards and standard resistors.
Built my own wood box, with a smaller shielded box inside....and a poured polyurethane foam filled the 1" gap between (all around).
All Electronics sells a peltier w/heatsinks attached ......and is nestled in a hole at the top, hot side out, with fans on both sides.
(btw, the All Electronic specs say -55*....they probably tested it themselves, with no fan on the hot sink side.....it goes much colder.)

Temperature control....
I messed around with smaller PID temperature controllers from Omron, and then some 1 watt laser temperature controllers, and also tried DIY H-bridges.
I ended up going to eBay for a 4 amp controller, similar to this 2 amp used temperature controller (~ $1k new)......and with a good glass 10k thermistor suspended in the inside air, this gets me to 23*C stable to .01 degree, over a 20 degree ext. temp swing.

However I'm shooting for stable room-temperature, you want colder. I believe my final success was due to using a controller with enough amps to prevent the outside temp from affecting  the inside temp (thermal lag / overshoot/undershoot).

=FB=

> All Electronics sells a peltier w/heatsinks

Good find.

Agree that it should not be 190F on the hot-side, it NEEDS fan-blow. If you can double the heat removal rate and get 1/2 of the way back to room-temp, 60F cooler, the cold side could frost-over. But if it too is fan-blown, it tends to just above freezing. That's an on-thumbs analysis, not precise; but there's some coolth there if you use it right (with fans).

I think the gizmo in the Galaxy is twice the area and has the necessary power and fans on both sides. So two $35 Pelts plus four $7 fans, plus a $25 12V 10A power supply... unless your load is very small (such as a small calibration cabinet) the $75 Galaxy seems a better buy even if you discard the box/door assembly. (Convert it to a cigar humidor?)

Sears posted my review.

Back