9-pin SIP to 8-pin SIP or DIP?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

living sounds

I'm thinking about replacing the 9-pin 4560S opamps in my old Mackie 1202 with better ones for several reasons. I've been trying to find out the pinout for some time now but there seems no documentation availible, just a few rather inconclusive posts on online boards. Could someone point me where to look?

Thanks!
Gregor

from a ueri thread this place may have something

RC4136 Upgrade Adapter
http://cimarrontechnology.com/rc4136upgradeadapter.aspx

9 pin SIL package op amps are quite rare - but they simply have pins 1 and 9 commoned to the +ve supply internally. This is presumably done to make PCB track layout a little easier? All other connections are the same.

So - you can easily use 8 pin SIL's by simply leaving pin 1 on the PCB empty!

Do check that the supply is actually connected to pin 9 via PCB track though - if not, you will have to put a linking wire from pin 1 to pin 9.

clintrubber said:
living sounds said:
I'm thinking about replacing the 9-pin 4560S opamps in my old Mackie 1202 with better ones for several reasons.

Just curious, what are those reasons ? Again, just curious.

Bye,

Peter

One is the sound. I bought the Mackie (the old original 1202) because some producers (Daft Punk among them) were praising it for the "puchy sound". It's sorta punchy, but it's also got a really ugly high end. Veiled, intransparent, and with very unpleasant harmonics. So now I'll make a good, no-nonsense mixer out of it by replacing the opamps and all the caps in the signal path (and upgrading the PSU). The other problems are the headphones output (see http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=31719.msg384778#msg384778) and an imbalance of ca. 1 db between the channels on the master bus, so I'll have to try and change opamps anyway.
I just put in a 5532 in one channel and compared it to one of the other ones - sounds very useable now. I wish manufacturers wouldn't cut important corners all the time.

I am, me too, a big fan of these little MS1202 .
They are indeed very punchy and especially very customizable

I already solved the very common left rigt problem by redoing the power supply.
I replaced  the 7815 and 7915 by lm317 and 337 and rised the voltage to +16,8V/-16,8V. I changed the caps for panasonic FM.
On the main board, i replaced all the caps with Panasonic FM of the same value and all the 22uf (mostly in the signal path) with 47uf.
After few hours of work i have now a perfect left/right balance, a bit more headroom and a much more silent and better sounding mixer.

The second mod was a insert on the master bus and a mute switch on every channels

I am now working on adding a sub group with insert.

Living sounds..... i am very curious about swaping ic's.
How do you like the sound of it now you have replaced the 4560 by 5532 ?
I must say that i quite like the dirtiness of the 4560.

Best
Greg

I have one that's been in the closet for a decade, but after I ran across the schematic a year or so ago, I've been planning on taking it back out for a recap and swapping of the IC opamps. I've breadboarded adapters for the single opamps in the old Yamaha's but I haven't been inpired enough to do this one! Eventually I will, I've always wanted to put some pretty hardwood sides on it and set it on my desk!
8)

Oh yes !!!!!! Please do the opamp mod and tell us how it sounds. :p
I am also planning to change the master section opamp for gar2520 i have around.
There is as well enough room to fit at least 2 stereo compressors. That would be a killer compact mixer. ;D ;D ;D

It is actually easy to build a SIP/SIL to dip adapter board the only problem I have ever found is space problems.

Gregory Pecary said:
Living sounds..... i am very curious about swaping ic's.
How do you like the sound of it now you have replaced the 4560 by 5532 ?
I must say that i quite like the dirtiness of the 4560.

Well, I never compared the modded one to a stock unit directly, but it sounds pretty nice.  It's not dirty, but still punchy sounding. I installed bigger caps in the PSU and the whole mixer gets pretty hot because of the higher current draw of the 5532s.  I used Elma Silmic II caps in the signal path and polypropylene and polystyrene caps in the EQ. The EQ sounds much nicer than it has any right to.

Latest posts

Back