CAPI-Gear; New CA-0252 (2520 Type) Opamp Kits and DIY Parts Galore!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi jeff,
if my earlier purchase of knobs has any refund from the differential pricing, please donate any difference to the forum (if it's not too much trouble).
thanks again for ALL your efforts!
kind regards,
grant

dissonantstring said:
hi jeff,
if my earlier purchase of knobs has any refund from the differential pricing, please donate any difference to the forum (if it's not too much trouble).
thanks again for ALL your efforts!
kind regards,
grant
Done Grant. It was $4.44 for your records!

I have addressed the refunds for everyone. The smallest was $0.66 up to $13.50.

Anyhow, I have more of the ACA's coming. Should be here around March 5th.

Also, a new project that will be the cat's ass when it comes to summing. Vintage style summing is more like it. It's a 5.5" X 6" board with 2-2520 style, discrete ACA channels including 2623 balanced outputs and 2-2520 style, discrete booster amplifier channels, 325 type with 2503 transformer balanced outputs. The configuration is precisely the same way it was done in my desk. The 325 circuits are a little different than what is on the stock 325 schematic. There is an N-channel chopper-switch for slate/talkback muting and also a talkback input. The chopper can be jumpered around and left out if so desired. The boards can be used and wired into an existing vintage API console, or for stand alone applications. Inherit to the design, there is an insert point post ACA and pre booster. This is also the location for the stereo fader. API used 600ohm faders in this location, which are rather hard to obtain and costly these days. I will experiment with a more common 10K stereo fader when my proto boards come in. I will have proto's in about 2 1/2 weeks. I will need these boards for the custom discrete monitor section on my desk. (Right Dennis?!!)

This will be very cool and probably put a few of Hairball Mike's awesome looking Nissei meter's to use :)

Cheers, Jeff

Thanks Jeff for the refund as well !!

Keep us informed about the NEW summing/325 style PCBs.
I'm very interested !!

I'l be shooting you another knob order next week when I get a grip
on my cash flow.

GARY

Hey all,

I just got some more of the 4 channel inverting ACA's in.

I updated the stock on the site.

More of the same to come soon... :eek:

Cheers, Jeff

Hi Jeff

Received my transformers today.  Nice  ;D

Thanks for the really fast shipping and great service.

Look forward to a bunch of input traffos soon.

Regards
Alex

gar381 said:
I have made 2 orders so far...
Received in LESS than [size=10pt]2 days each time[/size] !! :)

FAST

BTW.. GREAT KNOBS !!

Thanks Jeff

GARY
Thanks again Gary!!!

We are around 2-3 weeks out still on the EA 2622 transformers. I plan on having pricing complete and at least a temporary listing on the site in a day or 2. Pics and spec sheet will not be completed until I have one in my hands. Unfortunately, the 2622's will be our most expensive transformer on the site. That being said, they will be competitive with Cinemag and considerably less than Jensen. Not to mention, once in stock, they will be kept in stock for speedy order filling like Gary has experienced above. 8) I know that will be a few legs up over our competitors. I will post an update when I list the product info.

The proto 2-ACA-Booster cards are due in on the 10th of March. I'll keep you posted on that as well. They will be fun for sure.

I have added a new page on my site called "Reference Documents". I have started posting lots of cool documents I have acquired over the years and as of late. Most of these have not been posted on the web yet, so swing on by and check it out. A few highlights are a 17 page Owner's Manual for an API 2488. It's an interesting read even if you don't have the console. I put some APSI 559 graphic eq pages up that I got from Avedis. Kudos to him  ;) Over the next few days I will be adding some more cool stuff like a 6 page document on "API 325 Operating Instructions". I also have a cool little basic schematic sketch that Brent Averill sent to me quite a few years ago. It was drawn on Michael Jackson letterhead. Brent use to work for Michael. Michael's face is like a watermark background on the letterhead. Kind of cool and creepy at the same time.  :eek:

I have also posted a temporary special sale price on the 2503's and on the 1-50-2A knobs. So take advantage if you are in the market for them. I have already had a few requests about buying them now to get the sale price and holding them until the 2622's are in. That is no problem as long as you put the request in the comments box when ordering. What ever shipping is saved will be refunded after the 2nd order and new single box shipping is calculated.

Cheers, Jeff

Which insert type do I get for the "Pointer 1/2" Black Aluminum Knob 1/4" Thru-Shaft" – Seems like the x-50 ones but I don't see any in blue right?

zachs said:
Which insert type do I get for the "Pointer 1/2" Black Aluminum Knob 1/4" Thru-Shaft" – Seems like the x-50 ones but I don't see any in blue right?
Yes. The x-50 is the right one. There are not many colors available for the bigger sizes. I have spoken to my supplier about more colors but they are not interested in providing more. In their defense, they would have to get a 10,000pc minimum.

Cheers, Jeff

hi jeff,
got my transformers and knobs in the mail yesterday.  that was seriously fast (as was my previous order delivery)!  don't know how you do it.  thank you for the awesome customer service!  can't wait to try the 2503s in my 312 circuit with my first generation EA2622 inputs. ;D
cheers!
-grant

jsteiger said:
zachs said:
Which insert type do I get for the "Pointer 1/2" Black Aluminum Knob 1/4" Thru-Shaft" ? Seems like the x-50 ones but I don't see any in blue right?
Yes. The x-50 is the right one. There are not many colors available for the bigger sizes. I have spoken to my supplier about more colors but they are not interested in providing more. In their defense, they would have to get a 10,000pc minimum.

Cheers, Jeff

zachs

Try spray painting the insert any colour you want
before inserting them into the knob.. ;)
Works great and saves Jeff that 10000pc minimum !! ;D

GARY

Hey what's up everyone,

Just a note for those who have not seen, I am running a special on Ed's EA 2503 transformers. Currently priced at $32, which will expire this coming Sunday, the 22nd of March.

Ed is still slaving away on the 2622 input transformers. I am hoping he will be satisfied with his results soon. If not, I guess he will keep at it which is cool. I'm sure we all know by now, If Ed's happy...we will be happy!

On another note, I have the proto boards for the 2 channel ACA with the 2 channel 325 boosters here. I should have a chance to get one stuffed and checked out over the next few days. The ACA channels of the board are designed for the EA 2623-4, which Ed is almost done with. Those are the PCB mount version. I will do my initial board with a pair of vintage 2623-4's just to check it out. It should be set by the time Ed gets me the first batch of 2623-4's.

Another iron in the fire is another damned friggin' preamp! I figure the world doesn't have enough of those in it now!  :D Anyhow, this one is little different from what I can tell. It's in the API family of course. It will be a 500 series kit based on the mic pre that's on the input channels of my console. It is sort of close to a 312 card but not exactly the same. Should be a fun one with a little twist here and there. I'm 99% sure it will be the first board and circuit designed around a 2622 input transformer in 30-35 years! I will be doing 2 versions of the board due to the output tranny options. My proto board will have a 2623 as the output. When I am satisfied with that, I am gonna do the same PCB only with provisions for the physically larger 2503, for those who wanna be more 312-ish. But again remember, the console pre's used the smaller 2623's anyhow, not the 2503 found on the 300 series cards. This pre will sound as close as possible to plugging a mic into a vintage 1604 or 2488, and take the "preamp out" signal. I am in the process of getting the metal work quoted now. The screen printing will be the biggest PIA to deal with. Did I mention it's a 500 series pre?

Later and happy DIYing!
Jeff

The Classic 2-ACA-Bo is a rockin'!  ;D

I finally was able to spend some time running this new PC board thru a few of it's paces. I decided to use some of Ed's current 2623-1's instead of the vintage AP2623-4's as I mentioned earlier. I didn't feel it would be a fair comparison to use the vintage ones to compare to vintage ones. I must say I am quite impressed. I think one would be hard pressed to blindly pick which is the new board and which was the original ACA and 325 cards.

I don't have Ed's pcb mount EA2623-4's in yet, so the board looks a little sloppy but it was only for testing purposes.

So, here's a brief wiring description. As most know, I have 2 of my inverting ACA boards feeding my original stereo ACA's. I disconnected the original boards there. I made up a pair of cables to get me from the output of the inverting boards up to the front where I had the board under test. I wired in a 15 pin Cinch type connector so I could insert the stereo fader between the ACA and the input of the booster amps. The same way it was originally. I took the booster amp outs back to the card cage where I removed the original 325 stereo booster cards. I had some old blank 300 series cards that I used to jumper the new booster output to the card edge connector which essentially gave me full monitoring of my new signal.

The 2 left channels are the 325 booster amps. The 2 right ones are the ACA's.

Here's another view.

My original 2-mix fader is a 600ohm API fader. It is wired conventionally just like a rotary pot would be. Seeing as how 10K is more readily available, I jumper wired a stereo P&G 3222-D (10k) in place of the original API fader. I ended up with about 1.5db more gain with the fader wide open, which I compensated for by increasing the series resistor on the booster amp inputs. Bottom line is the 10K fader is perfectly fine in this application. Very minimal if any difference in noise and the frequency response is near exactly the same as with the 600ohm API fader. One could use a stereo fader or 2 independent faders/pots depending upon what your use is. IE Cue/Echo sends or group buses.

Testing isn't always pretty is it?

So, I will be ordering some stock for the store on Monday. The boards will be $17.50 each. I will have a BOM and schemo that I zip and send out when you complete the purchase. I will have them in about 2 weeks.

I have contemplated keeping the BC caps in stock for purchase with these and other boards. If you have looked already, then you know they are damned expensive in the smaller quantities. Let me know what you guys think about that. I'm just trying to make it easier and cheaper for you in the long run. Probably the little L brackets that I used to hang the 2503's vertically too huh?

These boards are pretty unique from what I have seen. You will not be disappointed. Classic vintage summing exactly as it was done in the vintage API boards. Enough said.

Cheers, Jeff

We had to move back the date expected for the EA 2622 input transformers. Following is an excerpt from an email I received from Ed today (Sunday).

…sorry again for how long this is taking.  just to recap, i had a batch
of these made in late 2006.  when i came back to the winder last year
to have them make another batch, they told me they still had the
winding info, but that they had recently purchased new winding
machines that would have to be programmed fresh.  i had them make me a
sample, and it was close to what they had made in 2006, but not quite
right.  i asked them to make a few changes to better replicate the old
process, and send me a second sample.  unfortunately, the second
sample was a worse match than the first.  it took a while to clear
that up but i should have a third sample on monday, which i expect to
be correct.  assuming that is the case, the transformers should be
available about two weeks later…

So, I have moved back the “date expected” to May 1st. If they come in any earlier, I will let everyone know. BTW, the first batch in will be 50pc with another 50pc to follow right after that.

At least you can count on the fact that they will be done right!  8)

Cheers, Jeff

jsteiger said:
At least you can count on the fact that they will be done right!  8)

No doubt!  Jeff and Ed are first class guys.  I know these 2622's will be nothing short of awesome.

I suspect I will be building some pre's in the near future!

Good news for my studio...bad news for my bank account ;)

Mike

Echo North said:
No doubt!  Jeff and Ed are first class guys.
Thanks Mike. I know Ed is 1st class, I'm not so sure about me  :p

I know these 2622's will be nothing short of awesome.

I suspect I will be building some pre's in the near future!

Good news for my studio...bad news for my bank account ;)

Mike
Yes. Yes and double yes.

Anyhow, I just got a shipping confirmation from Ed. He has approved the EA2622 prototype and it's on it's way to me! The large batch has been ordered, so it's officially a matter of counting down days now.

Cheers, Jeff

Latest posts

Back