CAPI-Gear; New CA-0252 (2520 Type) Opamp Kits and DIY Parts Galore!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi jeff,
that's great news!  thank you ed for making this happen and to you jeff for being the pusher (and i mean it in the nicest way)! ;D

i have a question about the new production 2622.  what is the turns ratio?  i seem to remeber it being 1:10, but i've seen notes from CJs hack and it mentions 1:7 ratio (bifilar primary with CT) which confuses me.  are the new EA-2622s 1:10?

also wondering about the primary/secondary impedance (150/15K?)

thanks!
-grant

dissonantstring said:
hi jeff,
that's great news!  thank you ed for making this happen and to you jeff for being the pusher (and i mean it in the nicest way)! ;D

i have a question about the new production 2622.  what is the turns ratio?  i seem to remeber it being 1:10, but i've seen notes from CJs hack and it mentions 1:7 ratio (bifilar primary with CT) which confuses me.   are the new EA-2622s 1:10?

also wondering about the primary/secondary impedance (150/15K?)

thanks!
-grant
Hey Grant, Yes, we are very pumped about this as well. It is a fantastic thing Ed is doing. Pusher is OK, I'm happy to be a part.

Ed's new 2622 is a 1+1:7, like the original AP2622. According to Ed, after the 2622, API switched to a now obsolete Jensen 6110k-a which was a 1:8 ratio. Next to a Jensen 75101 which is a 1:10 and now another 1:10.

I have the specs near the bottom of the page by the bullets here. I have a pdf spec sheet with all physical and electronic details that will be up on the site in 1 or 2 days.

Cheers, Jeff

doh!  should have known you'd have some specs on the webstore.
thanks for the info jeff!  absolutely looking forward to some in the future.
-grant

dissonantstring said:
doh!  should have known you'd have some specs on the webstore.
thanks for the info jeff!  absolutely looking forward to some in the future.
-grant
No problem Grant.  ;)

A pdf spec sheet has been added to the site for Ed's 2622. Physical dimensions are there plus silk layout and hole size for those interested. Link is near the bottom of the product page.

Carry on, Jeff

Ed thought it would cool to label his transformers. After all, when somebody opens up all of our DIY builds in 35 years or so, we don't want them guessing on what the heck transformers are in there:)

Brand recognition is key  ;D

This is not Photoshop work, BTW.

I hope ya like them Ed!

Cheers, Jeff

jsteiger said:
Ed thought it would cool to label his transformers. After all, when somebody opens up all of our DIY builds in 35 years or so, we don't want them guessing on what the heck transformers are in there:)

Cool!  My pair are from Ed's original run so no labels here.  This will add vintage mystique in years to come, they will be part of the legendary "first run"!  That said whoever opens up the pres will probably be wondering why they were soldered together by a five year old (or someone with the same apparent skill level  ;D )

Your store is going from strength to strength.  I hope you consider adding full parts kits for the pres.  I'm so short of time recently and working on BOMs is so slow for a newb like me (but granted essential to getting to know your parts).

Cheers,
Ruairi

ruairioflaherty said:
jsteiger said:

Cool!  My pair are from Ed's original run so no labels here.  This will add vintage mystique in years to come, they will be part of the legendary "first run"!  That said whoever opens up the pres will probably be wondering why they were soldered together by a five year old (or someone with the same apparent skill level  ;D )

Your store is going from strength to strength.  I hope you consider adding full parts kits for the pres.  I'm so short of time recently and working on BOMs is so slow for a newb like me (but granted essential to getting to know your parts).

Cheers,
Ruairi
Ruairi,
Yes, the "vintage mystique of the legendary first run". That is awesome.  8)

I will be having multiple kits available. All of the individual parts will also be available...well individually. From there, I will have multiple levels of kits depending upon someones needs.

Like, PCB, metalwork and mounting hardware bundle.

Above with input and output transformers added.

All the above with all switches, switch caps, 25K CCW log pot and output attenuator.

All the above including all passive components.

Of course we have the knobs available for finishing touches and the option to by a printed face plate or a raw one for user finish.

It is so much work to structure the site like this and add all the options. It will be well worth it though. I'm trying to make sure my store is super unique and user friendly.

Cheers, Jeff

Hi Jeff

Sorry if you've already answered this, but do you have any plans for DOAs?

Looks like you're able to get a whole lot of things going (like those amazing monitor boards  :eek:)
so I'm hoping that you would one day include some DOAs in your lineup.

Great store and service.

Cheers
Alex

alexc said:
Hi Jeff

Sorry if you've already answered this, but do you have any plans for DOAs?

Looks like you're able to get a whole lot of things going (like those amazing monitor boards  :eek:)
so I'm hoping that you would one day include some DOAs in your lineup.

Great store and service.

Cheers
Alex
Hi Alex, thanks for the kind words.  :)

I have not answered the DOA question in public before, so good one. IMHO, there are many of these 2520 "clones" already in existence. That being said, I don't want to reinvent the wheel as they say. I have had a few conversations with different members about "stocking/carrying" their PCB and design/kit on my site. Nothing has been set yet but I'm confident that I will have a very respectable 2520 version available in the not to distant future.

BTW, the monitor boards will also be available on the site in the future. They are mainly aimed at someone who has an old API console who wants to upgrade that side of their desk. However, they can absolutely be used in a stand alone application as well. A motherboard and required metal work for the bucket, would be quite easy for me to put together. The first run of these will be 84pc to be divided between myself, Dennis (API) and Dennis' friend who also has a 2488. Like I said, Brent's concept was right on track...

Thanks again and cheers, Jeff

Fantastic!

I for one am somewhat 'backed up' for 2520 style DOAs and a reliable, ongoing source for them would be just great.

I wish I was one of those guys looking to upgrade his old API board!

Not looking to cause any uproar here..... There are plenty of reliable and on-going sources of DOA's. There are kits which are fairly inexpensive but require assembly and testing. And then there are fully-tested modules. The thing to remember is that they are not cheap. That's just the way it is. John Hardy 990c's are like $45 each and are always available. Scott Liebers' SL-2520's are about $60. each and are probably always available. Forssell JFET-992's and 993's are always available. They are $65. and $80. each respectively. Seventh Circle SCA-25's are about $80. each I think. They are always available. Avedis doesn't just sell his 1122's to anyone anymore. Purple Audio has his discrete opamps. I believe they are always available. Contact Ptownkid at diypartssupply.com for the SGA-DOA kits which are very affordable. He has them most of the time but not all of the time. He's a good dude and he's dependable. Joe Malone's JLM99V's are about $56. USD and are always available. Shall I go on? I'm sure Jeff will add a DOA to his line-up at some point in time. But DOA's are out there and available already so maybe he prefers to stock other stuff which isn't. Thanks, DANA.

Parts update...

I've just added the 600 ohm t-pad output attenuators to the store as I now have them in stock. Mike from Hairball Audio and I have grouped our buys together and worked a better quantity discount. This discount is being passed along in the pricing because "that's how we roll"  :)

This is the main reason why I did not go with PC mount pins for my output attenuator. It was all about trying to keep the cost down on the parts. I think its worth a couple of jumper wires.

So, big thanks to Mike who is a real stand up guy.

Cheers for now, Jeff

Tubemooley said:
Not looking to cause any uproar here..... There are plenty of reliable and on-going sources of DOA's. There are kits which are fairly inexpensive but require assembly and testing. And then there are fully-tested modules. The thing to remember is that they are not cheap. That's just the way it is. John Hardy 990c's are like $45 each and are always available. Scott Liebers' SL-2520's are about $60. each and are probably always available. Forssell JFET-992's and 993's are always available. They are $65. and $80. each respectively. Seventh Circle SCA-25's are about $80. each I think. They are always available. Avedis doesn't just sell his 1122's to anyone anymore. Purple Audio has his discrete opamps. I believe they are always available. Contact Ptownkid at diypartssupply.com for the SGA-DOA kits which are very affordable. He has them most of the time but not all of the time. He's a good dude and he's dependable. Joe Malone's JLM99V's are about $56. USD and are always available. Shall I go on? I'm sure Jeff will add a DOA to his line-up at some point in time. But DOA's are out there and available already so maybe he prefers to stock other stuff which isn't. Thanks, DANA.

Yeah, I have used a number of these and I would say my favorites are the Scott Liebers SL-2520 DOA's.  I have replace all of my other ones with those now just because I love what the do.  I use the Vintage designed (red dots) for most of my pres and use the (blue dots) for summing.  I do still have a pair of 990's in my J99's of course but those are total different then API.

I got all blue dots from Scott. But he told me how to turn the blue into the red. It's like two SMT caps I think. I prefer clean blue over vintage red. DW.

Tubemooley said:
I got all blue dots from Scott. But he told me how to turn the blue into the red. It's like two SMT caps I think. I prefer clean blue over vintage red. DW.
I actually got one of Scott's vintage red dots coming tomorrow in the post. I'm anxious to check it out in my new pre. We got a few to check out side by side. Some Huntingtons, Avedis 1122, SL-2520 red and a custom proto built by one of our fellow lab buddies.  :)

Plus, I've added some new components to the site lately.

I got stock in today of some fine C&K 7101 toggles. I got a pretty good deal on these on that shows in the pricing. I don't think new stock can be found anywhere cheaper.

Cheers, Jeff

nielsk said:
I got some very nice knobs in the post today.... well done!
Hey thanks Niels. I'm glad you are happy with them.  :)

I'm currently working on putting all the "kits" and "bundles" together on the site for the pres.

Stop by, check it out, and let me know what you all think. I'm trying to make it easy to navigate which is a little difficult when there so much stuff/options being added.

Cheers, Jeff

Jeff, I must say this looks like to be of an incredible value for the audio community, I really appreciate the developement of this and what you are doing.

And 2 questions, will you ship internationally? Will rest of the components be included in the kits?  :)

Thank you!

Osse said:
...And 2 questions, will you ship internationally? Will rest of the components be included in the kits?  :)

Thank you!
Thanks Osse and in short, yes and yes.  :)
Most of the orders are going Internationally right now anyhow. I know some don't like to deal with this but it is not that bad really. Shipping is a little expensive but USPS is pretty reasonable considering.

As for the rest of the components, I have populated most of the kits over this past weekend so, check it out and let me know if you have any other questions. Everything has been accounted for with the exception of the DOA...but stay tuned...

Cheers, Jeff

Latest posts

Back