CAPI-Gear; New CA-0252 (2520 Type) Opamp Kits and DIY Parts Galore!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Svart said:
anyone know where to get a cheap lunchbox type case? I think these kits might be too good of a deal to pass up..
Svart, I can sell you the 1U case I did for my BA 312 a few years ago, hand wired with a JML PSU ;D
(but I'm sure you can do this on your own, any need to publish the FPD file ?)
don't need it anymore, and will work with Jeff's preamp too ...
or just wait until Sahib finished the metal work prototypes ;)

Just a quick note to let anyone interested
In gar2520 DOA boards and kits.... 

The first round of PCBs should be available at clasicapi.com
for separate sale around the first week of June and full kits about a week later.  Full kits will contain PCB, Millmax pins and all parts for stuffing.

The pricing has not been finalized as of yet but will be
VERY REASONABLE.  Please keep checking this thread
and classicapi.com for updates! :)

GARY

Like little soldiers waiting for marching orders.  :eek:  ;D
EA2622-soldiers.jpg

geoff004 said:
Got mine today
And in the time it took for my daughter to watch Dumbo I basically got 1 put together - easy build!
thanks
Wow Geoff! Amazing you got that so quickly. Not on my part, I mean USPS. My wife got a letter today that was mailed from downtown Chicago on March the 3rd!  ???

So, fire it up. How's it sound?!? Keep us posted.

You saw my note on the 1/8" space between the 25K pot and the board right?

Thanks, Jeff

jsteiger said:

Basically got it together.  I don't have an op amp for it yet (although I may borrow one from another pre).
But I've got 1 question (this isn't it) - is there an official build thread yet?

The space with the pot actually seems logical - that is, the leads of the pot don't stick out any farther than anything else.
I'm excited to try it out.

geoff004 said:
jsteiger said:

Basically got it together.  I don't have an op amp for it yet (although I may borrow one from another pre).
But I've got 1 question (this isn't it) - is there an official build thread yet?

The space with the pot actually seems logical - that is, the leads of the pot don't stick out any farther than anything else.
I'm excited to try it out.
Hi Geoff,

Yes, I have a build thread started here.

I wanted to keep both pots centered in the face-plate, hence the reason behind the 1/8" space.

Cheers, Jeff

just to let everyone know. jeff sent my (2) 2622's out saturday and I got them this morning. I finished putting my 325 together about 11am, I wired it with 1&2 and 3&4 tied for 150 ohms. got it fired up and it rocks. I'm not a audiofile but I a/b with my older pair of OSA pres and my original api with the ea2622 sounds pretty freaking stout. anyway thanks jeff. Arty  

I got my pres Monday night and put both of them together in about 2 hours. Last night I plugged them into a friends API 500 series lunch box and wow these kill the orginal API525s that were in the box already.

Nice work!

Thanks

Chuck

ChuckD said:
I got my pres Monday night and put both of them together in about 2 hours. Last night I plugged them into a friends API 500 series lunch box and wow these kill the orginal API525s that were in the box already.

Nice work!

Thanks

Chuck

To my knowledge the 525 is a compressor, how can you compare a pre to a compressor?

Osse said:
To my knowledge the 525 is a compressor, how can you compare a pre to a compressor?
I assume he meant 512's and had a typo. I sent Chuck a note asking him to clarify for us.

My god I need a 500 series rack!

Needless to say I am pretty excited for Volker's 500 rack project jammed full of these pre's.

Awesome work!

Mike

Echo North said:
My god I need a 500 series rack!

Needless to say I am pretty excited for Volker's 500 rack project jammed full of these pre's.

Awesome work!

Mike
Thanks Mike. The racks are getting close I believe. You must have 2. :)

Sorry for the mixup!
Yes the studio had a 500VPR with 6  api512c pre amps.
We put 2 of these into the rack to compare and did some vocals.

In comparison the 512c preamp seemed to be notching out something mid range and almost sounds pinched off.
This pre amp was much more clear. You could immediately tell that it captured the signal better.
The difference was not slight/small it was very noticeable. So much that the studio may sell off some of the api pres.

-Chuck

ChuckD said:
Sorry for the mixup!
Yes the studio had a 500VPR with 6  api512c pre amps.
We put 2 of these into the rack to compare and did some vocals.

In comparison the 512c preamp seemed to be notching out something mid range and almost sounds pinched off.
This pre amp was much more clear. You could immediately tell that it captured the signal better.
The difference was not slight/small it was very noticeable. So much that the studio may sell off some of the api pres.

-Chuck
Thanks for clarifying Chuck. What DOA did you load up in them? What mic was used?

IMHO, the mids and low mids are very nice and "complete" sounding while being tight and focused at the same time. I have noticed this over the vintage 312's as well. Not a huge difference with the 312's, but definitely a difference.

The Opamp I used is a DIY Forsell JFET type using Linear Systems LSK170 jfets.
The Mic I am using is my own design (loose use of the term design) ... You could say a MK7 -ish with some 'tweaks' and a different transformer.

-Chuck

Stock update: The first batch of EA2622's is officially gone.

I have already received my notification from Ed that batch number 2 is in transit. I should have them this Friday or worst case, next Monday.

Regards, Jeff

Arno said:
What ??? shipped in less than 2 hours !!

*thumbs up*
Yeah, I know...sorry for the delay... :p

I guess, you paid for "Expedited" Arno, you got it!  8)

Latest posts

Back