CAPI-Gear; New CA-0252 (2520 Type) Opamp Kits and DIY Parts Galore!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys,

A few updates on a few things...

:) Ed has another batch of 2503's in the works. I will hopefully have them no later than 2 weeks.

;D I have knobs on order that will work for Peterc's 553 style eq. They are the 1/2" pointers with the 1/4" thru hole.

;) We are now on to Rev A.2 of the VP26 PCB and Rev A.1 of the VP25. This means no more input polarity fix!

Cheers, Jeff

Hey ya'll

I am down to 4-2622 input transformers at the store. No need to worry as Ed has more stock as his place. They will be to me shortly. So, if I do run out...it will only be for a couple of days.  8)

I also wanted to mention, I am working on a very detailed assembly instruction manual for the VP2x mic preamp kits. This probably won't mean much to the cats around here as most can all read a skiz and work from a BOM. I have some exciting news coming in the future for these kits and the detailed assembly manual is very important for that. Anyhow, more to come on that front later.

Oh, I am about to order a boat load of 500 series blanks for the GDIY racks. I plan on raw aluminum and a matte black powder coat. The powder coated plates should sell for $7.50 I do believe. This is considerably less than API, BAE or any of the other places out there. The raw ones will be a bit less of course. Prices still need to be finalized. This will be a nice, low-cost thing for one off DIY 500 pieces and what have you.

Cheers!
Jeff

Hello,

I have a few updates on some ClassicAPI store stock.

EA2622's are currently out of stock but are scheduled to arrive tomorrow which is Friday, October 16th.

JLS-Inv-ACA's are back in stock.  ;)

Aluminum L-brackets for the VP2x kits are getting low, 6 or 7 pieces left right now. New stock is on order and expected in about 2-3 weeks.

EA2503's are on order and were suppose to ship to Ed by tomorrow Friday, October 16th. That was the last we heard. Ed is gonna order a 2nd batch immediately after we get this one. That way, he will always have 100pc "in the can" so we never run out.

VP25 PCB stock has been updated to reflect the latest shipment.

Best regards, Jeff

Hi everybody,

I have some store updates to inform you all about.

I have received some knob stock for a few items. The most important being the 1/2" Pointer knob with the 1/4" thru hole. This is what Peterc is using for his wonderful 5003 EQ"s. See Peter's pics here. Product link at the store is here.

I have also added a few new products. Guess what they are for!!  :D :D :D

Neutrik panel mount XLR males. Yes, for the GDIY racks!

Neutrik panel mount XLR females. Again for the GDIY racks!

15 position (30 pin) card edge connectors. For many different things…including the GDIY racks!

18 position (36 pin) card edge connectors. Yes, mainly for the GDIY racks!

I am hoping to have my next order of EA2503’s in by the end of next week.  ;)

Cheers all, Jeff

Good news guys...Ed's 2503's are back in stock at the store! Ed is gonna order another 100pc right away so we hopefully never run completely dry again.  :)

I am low on the aluminum L-brackets for the VP2x kits but my replenishment stock is due into me next Friday, November 6th. I am having the left side brush finished now to make them look a little better. It is not seen when installed in a rack but I feel better about it.

Cheers, Jeff

Hey guys,

I have just ordered a ton of 500 series blank face plates for store stock. I will be carrying them powdercoated in a matte black and also in raw for those who are building their own custom modules or what have you. They will be laser cut from 6061-T6 aluminum and will have proper countersunk holes in true 51x Alliance fashion. Oh, they are also compatible with that other 500 series alliance out there...VPR I think it is?  8)

I should have them in about 2 weeks or so. I will get pricing up on the site soon. They will be very cost affordable as usual with some qty discounts like with my other stuff. Far less than the $22 or whatever that API charges for theirs.

I have also ordered #4-40 X 3/8" phillips, oval head screws in a black oxide finish. These will be provided with the GDIY racks. I will also offer these separately as there seems to be a need for them. Probably in 25, 50 and 100pc packages. These are the identical screw that is supplied by API for their racks, consoles and so on.

That is all for now. I will update when I finish the price structure for the panel blanks.

Regards, Jeff  ;)

Hi everyone,

I have just received some more gar2520 parts from Gary. I have updated the store stock to reflect this.

I have also received my replenishment supply of the VP2x L-brackets. They are super nice with a brushed finish on the exposed left hand side.
L-bracket-outside.jpg

L-bracket-outside-close.jpg

Also, the countersunk hole tolerances have been tightened up. The shop is also cleaning the inside of the bracket around the 4 countersunk thru holes to ensure a nice flat surface.
L-bracket-inside.jpg

Cheers, Jeff  :)

Hey guys and gals,

I have added a few new items to the online catalog.

1st are 25pc packs of the #4-40 3/8" black screws for 500 series modules.

2nd are raw 1 space aluminum blanks for the 500 series racks.

And 3rd are matte black powdercoated blank panels for the 500 series racks.

All of these items can be found in the "Rack Accessories" sub category...under the "GroupDIY 51x Kits" category of my site.

Regards, Jeff  :)

Jeff and I are proud to announce that FULLY ASSEMBLED, BURNT IN AND TESTED

gar2520 DOAs are now available as an option with the following:

VP25 Whistles & Bells Bundle (Finished)
http://classicapi.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_47_55_57_65_79&products_id=125

VP25 Whistles & Bells Bundle Plus (Finished)
http://classicapi.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_47_55_57_65_79&products_id=126

VP25 Whistles & Bells Bundle (Raw)
http://classicapi.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_47_55_57_65_78&products_id=124

VP25 Whistles & Bells Bundle Plus (Raw)
http://classicapi.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_47_55_57_65_78&products_id=123

VP26 Whistles & Bells Bundle (Finished)
http://classicapi.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_47_55_56_58_81&products_id=129

VP26 Whistles & Bells Bundle Plus (Finished)
http://classicapi.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_47_55_56_58_81&products_id=130

VP26 Whistles & Bells Bundle (Raw)
http://classicapi.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_47_55_56_58_80&products_id=127

VP26 Whistles & Bells Bundle Plus (Raw)
http://classicapi.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_47_55_56_58_80&products_id=128

Assembled.jpg

GARY

A little parts update...

I have more VP26 boards that were supposed to be delivery to me on the 24th, according to FedEx tracking info. Due to an "exception", they did not make it. So, it looks like I will receive them next Monday the 28th.

FWIW, the FedEx definition of "exception" = someone dropped the ball again. I really dislike using FedEx for anything. I have been in the same spot for 13 years and they still can't find me.  ??? ???

Anyhow, all is good. Happy Holidays and thanks for all of the support this past year!  ;)

Hello!Jeffrey
I have ordered some stuff on classicapi.com
Order Number: 667
just for info !
please write me back when ship
thank you! :)
ingo.

dingo said:
Hello!Jeffrey
I have ordered some stuff on classicapi.com
Order Number: 667
just for info !
please write me back when ship
thank you! :)
ingo.
Hi Ingo,

Yes, your order is packed and ready to go. I will be labeling shortly and drop at the PO tomorrow AM. I will send you an updated "order process" saying shipped and include the USPS tracking ID once I label it.

Cheers, Jeff

FedEx finally made it with my VP26 PCB's today. So, I have another 60 on hand.

VP25 boards are running low but they have been ordered already too.

Cheers, Jeff

Hey guys,

First off, Happy New Year!   :)

I have been working on a complete assembly guide for the VP2x mic preamp kits. I have finally got it done after countless hours of work. It was a major ta-do. I still can't believe how long I have spent on it. Anyhow, the Guide contains step by step assembly instructions and tips. It covers nearly 50 pages and contains over 70 pictures, some with detail notes. It is more geared toward a newbie DIY'er but I hope there is a little something for other more experienced builders too. Some of the little quirks that go into the physical assembly are well covered in it. So, download at will and let me know what you think!

VP2x Assembly Guide.pdf

Cheers, Jeff

1st Class Jeff.

Very Nice :) :)

Just about any beginning DIY guitar cord solder guy with this manual
should be able to build a VP2x with GREAT success.  Lots of good
tips for us old timers too!!  No one should be afraid to try
this assembly as the manual is bullet proof. Looking forward to building mine.

GARY

jsteiger said:

Looks nice, and I'll believe that a lot of effort has gone into it.

Why do you suggest soldering the components on both sides of the board? For new PTH boards I've never heard of that practice, or seen it used by assembly houses. IME if the holes are large enough then solder will wick through to give the same effect, and even if that doesn't happen the plating of the barrel is plenty conductive for all but the highest current applications. I'd worry that having novice solderers heat the parts twice could lead to higher heat stresses, with associated failures.

[I can understand soldering on both sides when reworking boards, as the hole plating can get damaged during desoldering]

JDB.

jdbakker said:
Looks nice, and I'll believe that a lot of effort has gone into it.
Thanks for looking JDB.

Why do you suggest soldering the components on both sides of the board? For new PTH boards I've never heard of that practice, or seen it used by assembly houses. IME if the holes are large enough then solder will wick through to give the same effect, and even if that doesn't happen the plating of the barrel is plenty conductive for all but the highest current applications. I'd worry that having novice solderers heat the parts twice could lead to higher heat stresses, with associated failures.

[I can understand soldering on both sides when reworking boards, as the hole plating can get damaged during desoldering]

JDB.
Well, I will say that most of the newer gear I own is all SM, and that is really only a few pieces. A couple of modules I have are TH with PTH's. Without desoldering something on them, I am not sure how oversized their component holes are. There is definitely a good complete joint on each side. How it was done is an educated guess. My educated guess is that they are pumping out as much product as they can which absolutely correlates to "you better only solder one side or you are fired"!! Time is money of course.

But for me, my boards have pretty good sized pads, larger than most PTH boards. I think it gives a person with lesser experience a better feeling of making sure it is right. I have also become to prefer soldering everything from the top that I can. No flipping the board and bending all the leads yada, yada. Of course when I do flip the board to trim the leads, I like to touch up the joints so they all look nice. It just takes a second and 19 times out of 20 requires no additional solder. I do specify this in the guide. It's not a complete solder everything twice thing.

Anyhow, knowing that the big production assembly houses aren't doing it...is probably a good enough reason to do it!

Cheers, Jeff

Back