CAPI-Gear; New CA-0252 (2520 Type) Opamp Kits and DIY Parts Galore!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is the price going to compare to the VP25/VP26?  Once we finally get our 51X racks I'm going to need a handful of barebones API preamps..

Svart said:
How is the price going to compare to the VP25/VP26?  Once we finally get our 51X racks I'm going to need a handful of barebones API preamps..
I have not finished all of my costing yet but they will be very similar. I will be stocking the C&K PCB switches for this build, but are not required if you have no plans of ever changing the voltage. I think it will be nice to have that option for a very minimal cost. There will be a few less C's and R's so it will be close to a wash I think.

BTW, I got my stock of raw faceplates in today. I will have the new version of the VP25 and VP26 soon. I will also be stocking a nice version of the new VP312.

Cheers, Jeff

A little VP312 update...

Proto went together nice/easy and works/sounds just fine. Great actually! Especially with a gar1731. What?  :-*

I have not listened to a 24V DOA in there...yet. I have been talking with PPA and will be getting a few of his DOA's to try out. I think they will be a perfect match for the VP312 as the APP2050 and the APP2050E will both run on either the 16V rails or the 24V rails. His amps are not a 2520 clone but his own design that keeps things in a simialr family. This is very intriguing to me! I can't wait!  ;D

So, I just ordered my first batch of PCB stock. They are slated to be here on February 12th.

I am thinking about a small to medium run of custom 1RU enclosures that will be set up to house 4 of these little VP312 Black Beauties. Back panel would be silk screened and set up with 8 XLR's, of course. Also 2 allocations for power connectors, requiring an external PSU. My thought was to have people use one of Volkers 51x PSU boards and daisy chain up to 3 racks or 12 channels of pres together. This is only an idea for those folks who aren't going the 500 series direction. Any thoughts or interest would be appreciated.  ;)

Cheers, Jeff

jsteiger said:
... I am thinking about a small to medium run of custom 1RU enclosures that will be set up to house 4 of these little VP312 Black Beauties. Back panel would be silk screened and set up with 8 XLR's, of course. Also 2 allocations for power connectors, requiring an external PSU. My thought was to have people use one of Volkers 51x PSU boards and daisy chain up to 3 racks or 12 channels of pres together. This is only an idea for those folks who aren't going the 500 series direction. Any thoughts or interest would be appreciated.  ;)
while this is a nice idea personally I prefer internal PSUs in 19" gear.

if you design the case your own and there is some space, a JLM AC/DC with a little toroidal transformer could be fine.
use Neutrik PowerCon connectors for the mains, this way you could use the same holes for "remote" PSUs or internal powering.

oh, and with my PSU PCB as a remote PSU you could power at least 24 channels, running 12 at 16V and 12 on 24V ;D ;D ;D
surely more, since I doubt the module will go to the current limit.

I've been looking at getting a few channels of pre from you. The vp312 looks great, and I would be quite interested in a rackmount enclosure. Black front panel maybe? I too would use something like a JLM AC/DC and small toroid inside the rack for power.

Thanks!

Volker's idea is probably best. A rack deep enough to house the JLM supply if so desired. If someone wants to use the larger external GDIY PSU, that would be no problem, just some space inside the rack enclosure.

I am changing my 500 series faceplates to a brushed aluminum finish that will have a matte clear powdercoat after the screen printing. The steps have changed in my manufacturing process since finding a new metal shop that is more friendly to doing the larger runs. My stock faceplate for the VP4.312 will be the same brushed aluminum with a matte clear powdercoat. The new versions of the plates I have done look pretty cool. I have sent my pre-lim designs out to Volker and a few other friends and all have had nothing but positive remarks. Maybe they are just being nice.

Here they are. Again, these are not 100% finalized but the only thing that may change is the indication dot color combination due to the limited inserts available. You have to kinda use your imagination for the brushed grain part of it.

New-face-plates.jpg

Cheers, Jeff

What's up guys,

I have been busy lately. I have a screen shot here of yet another 500 series and 51x compatible preamp to show. I have just placed an order for the proto board.

This board is quite different in the fact that it has a HiZ Direct Inject option. This is something that Volker[silent:arts] and I came up with and have been cultivating over the past 6 weeks or so. We call it the "HiZ Plug-In". It is so cool and unique that we will start a new thread dedicated to it in the Lab in a day or 2. It is all very exciting!

As for the rest of the board, this is a straight up 312 circuit just exactly like the new VP312. The output attenuator is in full use here as well. The HiZ circuit is used uniquely in the fact that the DI signal enters the preamp circuit just before the input transformer instead of just before the DOA, which is most common. This will be a little more like using a standalone DI and going into the mic input. The 1/4" jack is auto switching with a 12V relay and appropriate control circuit.

VP312DI-SS.jpg

As I typing this, I am wondering about needing a pad or maybe I should enter the the pre just before the standard 20db pad. I guess time will tell on that one since the board is on it's way!  :D

Cheers, Jeff

nice!  I like having a hi-z for instruments, very good idea.

Also, I like the brushed aluminum with the black printing.  That looks slick.  The fact that the aluminum has some grain to it does not detract from it at all in my opinion.

3nity said:
IS that really a Melcor 1731 op-amp board???
Thanks
It is actually a gar1731 which loosely(or maybe we say tightly) translates to a Melcor 1731.  :D

bdubya said:
He wouldn't DARE joke about such a thing . . . . . . .
Never! This is some serious shit! No joking matter I say. ;D

cool then...my first diy API style preamps had those as DOA and souded gorgeous..
I'll take a pair.
Thanks

Jeff what's the word on the VP312!? Way cool can't wait to jump on those. I love the idea of doing 19" rack setup for those as well. As always  I appreciate what you do!

-Brice

funkymonksf said:
Jeff what's the word on the VP312!? Way cool can't wait to jump on those. I love the idea of doing 19" rack setup for those as well. As always  I appreciate what you do!

-Brice
Hey Brice,

Well...my friends at FedEx have not been very reliable as of late. The boards were slated for delivery today (Friday). The tracking says "Delivery Exception" and the date has been changed to Monday. I have a bunch of parts to enter into the admin side of the store this weekend including the VP312's.

So, the long and short of it is looks like it will be Monday!

Cheers, Jeff

Hi guys,

My friendly FedEx friends brought me some nice VP312 PCB's this morning. I have updated the stock for them at the store. Here is the product page.

I still have to finish the kits/bundles for the VP312's. I do have the DPDT C&K PCB switches in stock for the switchable voltages but have to complete the product info. I also will be carrying a Flat-Lever toggle switch for the VP312 kits. I got these at the request of Matta (Matt Allison) as they have a more vintage sort of vibe to them. I have to finish that listing as well but do have plenty of them on hand.

The new line of faceplates should be shipping to me hopefully today from the screen printer. I then have to get the clear coat on them. I am hoping to have them in stock for shipping by the end of this week. I didn't like the brushed look after all with the print and clear coat I use. So, I have stuck with the non-directional DA finish. I also tried a satin clear powder coat for the clear. It looks great straight on. Very deep looking. It has too much of a glare to it at any sort of an angle though. Very distracting and hard to read. So, I have opted to stick with the matte clear industrial lacquer. I have to list the 3 new faceplates on the site as well. Those will be needed to put the new VP312 "product kits & bundles" together.

Just not enough hours in the day. I may need some help on that if anyone has some ideas!

Cheers, Jeff

Latest posts

Back