CAPI-Gear; New CA-0252 (2520 Type) Opamp Kits and DIY Parts Galore!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jsteiger said:
Just not enough hours in the day. I may need some help on that if anyone has some ideas!

Cheers, Jeff

In all seriousness, if you can design and build a modular console, how can you not have figured out how to clone yourself? I mean before you know it we will have a DIY DeLorean and will be visiting the past and present in no time, CJ will have to still blow torch the Flux Capacitor for us though so we can reverse engineer it... but just give us time...

Again Jeff, Kudos, I stand in amazement as to how you do this all!

Cheers

Matt

so I'm a little confused, typically, and in this case in re the DI input. Will it be on the faceplate, will it require a combo jack on the backplane, is it still largely hypothetical?
thanks
p

the design for the HiZ version I have seen from Jeff has a jack on the faceplate.
placed ergonomically at the right place.
I still don't understand why some of the other pres have the jack at the top, the cable is always covering the gain and the other controls ...

fluxivity said:
so I'm a little confused, typically, and in this case in re the DI input. Will it be on the faceplate, will it require a combo jack on the backplane, is it still largely hypothetical?
thanks
p
Hello fluxivity,

No, nothing hypothetical about it...anymore.  ;D

I have the proto board here. I just need to stop messing around with modular console design and stuff so I can get her built and tested!  8)
VP312DI-PCB-scan.jpg

As Volker has mentioned, the 1/4" jack is on the front. It is a mono tip/sleeve jack not a combo. Nothing on the backplane changes. This preamp will work and be fully functional in any 500 or 51x rack. Of course there are major benefits to using it in a 51x rack. It is the exact same preamp circuit as the VP312 or any old 312 card. Switchable voltage rails are a big plus when using the 51x rack. The HiZ input is auto-switching by using the normal connection on the 1/4" jack. Insert the jack, breaks the normal which deactivates the relay.

HiZ modular "plug-in" technology is being employed at it's finest! The HiZ signal enters the preamp circuit just before the input iron for some added loveliness.

I have also chosen to put the jack at the bottom of the module.
[silent:arts] said:
...Jeff has a jack on the faceplate.
placed ergonomically at the right place.
I still don't understand why some of the other pres have the jack at the top, the cable is always covering the gain and the other controls ...
Take a look at some of the modules shown at VK. The A-De** one has the DI jack at the top. Poor layout unless you enjoy having a cord draped in front of the module controls.

Anyhow, faceplates and L-brackets have been ordered, today as a matter of fact. The metal shop will be about 3-4 weeks out. Here is my final faceplate artwork for the VP312DI module. The finish will be just like the rest of my modules. Non-direction DA with screen print then a clear industrial low sheen lacquer over all of it.
VP312DI-artwork.jpg

And yes...that is a 3mm LED indicator for the 48V phantom. I have finally given Volker everything he has been asking for. DI and phantom LED.

I just need him to tell me his LED color preference! 8)

Cheers, Jeff  ;)

jsteiger said:
And yes...that is a 3mm LED indicator for the 48V phantom. I have finally given Volker everything he has been asking for. DI and phantom LED.

I just need him to tell me his LED color preference! 8)
;D ;D ;D
not true, I wanted an option for a rotary switch for the gain :D :D :D
phantom power LED needs to be red for sure.

very nice work my friend :-*
need to order some parts to stuff the HiZ PCBs for testing tomorrow ...
so much time, so little work it is, but you know this ::)

no, the other way ;)

...not true, I wanted an option for a rotary switch for the gain :D :D :D
Ah crap that's right. Oh well. Sorry Volker. I guess we all make some sacrifices!  ;D :-* :'(

need to order some parts to stuff the HiZ PCBs for testing tomorrow ...
I need to do this too. I have my Jensen. I sent them my left testicle, they sent me a JT-DB-EPC. Better be worth it or I want my ball back.  :eek: I have a lot of things on hand but not all things. I have to make some BOM's and get my needs organized. Do you happen to have a BOM for any of these? I'm not sure how your software works but probably huh?

This is gonna be a fun year!!  :D :D :D

Cheers, Jeff

jsteiger said:
... I have to make some BOM's and get my needs organized. Do you happen to have a BOM for any of these? I'm not sure how your software works but probably huh?
will export the standard Target BOM and mail it to you

jsteiger said:
will export the standard Target BOM and mail it to you
Lay it on me...I am ready.  ;)

you will receive it today, give me some time ...
house full of children right now, neighbors smallest had to go to the hospital, parents are there too, the other children are all here. I'm often the in house "Kindergärtner" ;D ;D ;D
but this makes fun too, I like children.
the only thing is you can't get your work done :-\

I got my new series of VP plates in today from the printer. I just dropped them for the paint shop to clear coat. They look cool. I super happy with them so far. He is gonna shoot them today or tomorrow. Depending upon when, he may let them sit out and cure over the weekend.

Best, Jeff

Ordered some stuff to go with my rack, had a hard time with paypal checkout. It didn't like my address but wouldn't tell me what it don't like.

No worries, just hope I didn't make any more work for you.

Kevin

Hi Mike !
any update on the VP312 kits ETA ?
Thanks for this amazing project,
best regards
Pacemaker

pacemaker said:
Hi Mike !
any update on the VP312 kits ETA ?
Thanks for this amazing project,
best regards
Pacemaker
I am awaiting the front panels from the paint shop who is doing the clear coat. He originally told me this past Monday. They must be busy with "real" work and going to do must stuff as a filler. I do have all other parts in stock.

Long story short, it will literally be any day now, possibly as soon as today.

The only issue now is I am very low on EA2622's. Ed has another batch in the works but I have not heard the ETA yet.

Cheers, Jeff (not Mike. Maybe you confused me with Hairball Mike? That is an insult to him!)

thanks for the update,
and sorry Jeff for the mistake,
was writing to Mike at the same time about the EA1066,
Any estimation of the kits price ?
Regards,
Francois

gar2520 kits are back in stock!!! Thanks Gary!  ;)

Today my paint shop told me the new VP faceplates would not be done until this Friday. I think he said that so I would stop calling him everyday.  :'(

Cheers, Jeff

Hey jeff,
i wanted to know if you will proposethe SL2520 opamps with the VP312,
also do you know when the DI312 will be available,
i really would li ke to order 4 full kits with faceplates and scott's opamps,
Christmas in march ?

Latest posts

Back