CAPI-Gear; New CA-0252 (2520 Type) Opamp Kits and DIY Parts Galore!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I propose the GAR2520's, they look and sound great, just like these pics  ;D

511x_rack_close.jpg

vp312_pcb.jpg

vp312_pcb2.jpg

vp312_pcb3.jpg

I've just completed 8 x VP312's today. The VP312 in part exists after Jeff, Gary, Myself and Dan started throwing around ideas for building up a 'classic' 312 type mic pre, I was happy to use the VP25 as building block, but Jeff, being the 'PCBaholic' that he is decided to lay out a NEW one, go figure  :p

Gentleman this 'Ashton Audio' product is very much a part of ALL your combined efforts and to those wanting to build a 312 type circuit and have the flexibility of switchable rails for additional opamp choices, these ROCK (& ROLL), thanks to Gary and Jeff for giving mere mortals like the chance of owning something usually reserved for, well, non-mortals, LOL.

Cheers

Matt

cool.

does the GAR2520 work at 24V?

I might have lost some tracking / information.

however, I see a phantom power LED at your units, good guy ;D

Hey Volker,

Not to my knowledge, the GAR2520 is safest below 18VDC, but the switch allows for use of higher voltage/headroom opamps from the likes of JLM Audio, John Hardy etc.

Yes, +48V LED's there, though wire point to point as you can may be able to tell  :p This of course will be addressed 'on board' with the VP312DI  ;D

Cheers

Matt

[silent:arts] said:
cool.

does the GAR2520 work at 24V?

I might have lost some tracking / information.

however, I see a phantom power LED at your units, good guy ;D

Beautiful Matt !! :) :) :)

Love the RED panels and the flat handled 48v switches..  NICE

Thank you for your kind kind words on the DOAs.

Volker ... keep them at 18v or under.  At 16v they
hardly get warm.

GARY

Hey guys,

I just just finished a build for a friend. It's a pair of my new VP312 preamps. He does a lot of traveling, working in various studios, mostly to Nashville. He thought the 51x concept was great but needed the VP312's to be straight up 500 series compatible. It's a simple mod and permanent. I call it the VPR mod.  ;D

It's quite simple.
-Hack saw off pins 16-18.
-Leave out diodes CR1 and CR2.
-Jumper connect the bipolar 16V rails where the PCB switch would go.
-Done.

Time to enjoy!

VPR-500-mod.jpg

BTW, that's a gar1731 DOA you see the side of there. Smooth as silk! 8)

Cheers, Jeff

pacemaker said:
any news from the faceplate maker ???
regards,
pacemaker
Yes. I picked up a plate yesterday to approve the finish. He has the sheen exactly the way I want it...finally. Dead flat, no sheen. He was suppose to shoot the rest of the batch yesterday afternoon. It is too early to check with him this morning as he won't be in. But, per what he told me yesterday, baring no unforeseen problems, I will pick all of them up this afternoon.

I did get some nice pics for the site with the sample plate. I did not have time to get them sized and posted to the site yet.

BTW pacemaker, I plan to complete my testing of the VP312DI this weekend. If all goes well, I will get the parts and bits ordered next week. It will probably be around 5 weeks until they are in stock at the store.

FWIW, I have figured out a way to eliminate the delay problems with the finishing of the faceplates process. I should not have this kind of issue in the future. Constantly refining the process 'round here.  ;D At least trying to anyways.

Cheers, Jeff

Well guys,

Not so good news for those waiting on my new line of faceplates.  :-[ :-\ :( :mad:

I kinda switched my process a little bit. Long story short, I ended up using a different shop to put the clear on the plates. I told the owner exactly what lacquer should be used for the dead flat look I am after. Even gave him a picture of the label and told him where to get it. They knew better (not) and used their own stuff. When I opened the box yesterday I almost fell over. They look like they are covered in a thick milky white material. Way too much flattener was apparently added to the product. They look like absolute shit to be honest. In messing with them today, the only solution is to completely strip them down to bare aluminum and start from scratch with having them screen printed again.

I guess I can 100% related to the problems that Peterc has been having with his metal and finishing down in South Africa.

I will keep you posted.

Cheers, Jeff

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the compliments! Also Jeff, sorry to hear about the panel woes  :-[ While speaking of panels, and not to add any salt to raw wounds, but I really have to thank Dan (DDT) for my red panels. They were JUST what I wanted, quick turn around and perfect, no blemishes at all, there is something about that 'Praguian' aptitude and skill set!

Cheers

Matt

matta said:
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the compliments! Also Jeff, sorry to hear about the panel woes  :-[ While speaking of panels, and not to add any salt to raw wounds, but I really have to thank Dan (DDT) for my red panels. They were JUST what I wanted, quick turn around and perfect, no blemishes at all, there is something about that 'Praguian' aptitude and skill set!

Cheers

Matt

... Thanks very much, Matt!

It does take a very long time to build up a good working relationship with a crafts shop, until they know you and you know them, but I'm still biting my fingernails sometimes when waiting..  :)

Cheers,
Dan

Just got my (well...I should "our" as someone else paid the bill) 312 pcbs the other day. HOLY HELL, these are the sexiest and most professional pcbs I have ever seen. Words can't express how these look and feel in real life. Impressive... ;D

Thanks for the kind words Bryan. Enjoy the build!  ;)

I have finally got around to listing Volker's 51x Card Edge Adapter's on my site. I currently only have 8 pieces in stock but...Volker has a huge, mother-load amount in transit to me right now. the product link is here.

Cheers, Jeff

they didn't arrive yet? :eek: :eek: :eek:
those postal service sucks! ::)

if you are in the EU, and are not buying anything else from Jeff (I would suggest you do),
they are also available from Sahib or me ;)

[silent:arts] said:
they didn't arrive yet? :eek: :eek: :eek:
those postal service sucks! ::)

if you are in the EU, and are not buying anything else from Jeff (I would suggest you do),
they are also available from Sahib or me ;)
No, they did not arrive yet.  ???

It absolutely makes no sense for anyone outside of North America to get these from me unless they are being added to a larger order.

Thanks Volker.  ;)

Regards, Jeff

Hi guys,

I have received Volker's Card Edge Adapter boards for the 51x. He sent 100pc so I have plenty in stock now. You can find the product link a few posts up from here.

Cheers, Jeff

Yes Noob, the VP312 will be offered as a kit soon. I have really gotten burned by my last paint shop. They screwed these plates up so bad that they all have to be 100% stripped, re-polished, re-screen printed and then cleared with the proper lacquer. They have set me behind by a month not to mention the cost. So, I am trying to hurry but it must be right or why bother. Please be patient guys. It will be worth the wait.  ;)

OK for some good news,
WE NOW HAVE VOLKER'S 51x PSU PCB'S IN STOCK AT THE STORE AND AVAILABLE FOR INDIVIDUAL PURCHASE!!!

Here is the product link.

Cheers, Jeff  :)

Back