CAPI-Gear; New CA-0252 (2520 Type) Opamp Kits and DIY Parts Galore!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everybody,

I have had a shipping glitch for International orders over the last day or two. Apparently the USPS made some changes to their automated servers which my oscommerce software could not understand (the bastards!). I was made aware of it this afternoon. Anyhow, all systems are go for that now.

Cheers, Jeff

Alrighty...2623-1's are in route (Thanks Ed!). I should have them by this Thursday.  :)

That will put VP26 preamps back in stock...and allow me to finish the VC528 demo units. Woohoo!

I will not post anything about 51x PSU cases until I have them in front of me. I am patiently wait along with you guys... :-\  Thanks for that BTW.  ;)

Cheers, Jeff

Hey all,

2623-1's have finally arrived. That makes the VP26 kits "in stock".

T-pads are low but I have more due in next week.

Cheers, Jeff

Hi guys,

I finally got around to doing a few things at the store.

I added a 6pc set of the Mill-Max pins we use for the opamp builds as well as the HiZ Plug-Ins. Those can be found here. http://classicapi.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=71_77&products_id=215

Also, I have my new stock in for the powdercoated black 51x blank panels. These are laser cut not punched like the last batch. The overall width after the powdercoat is 1.49" so 11 will fit side by side no problem. These are also a bit more vintage sounding.  ;D  The price went up a little but the value is still the best one out there IMHO. Here is a link. http://classicapi.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=87_88&products_id=152

Cheers for now, Jeff

I forgot to mention that my t-pad stock will be here on Monday. Bourns gain pots came this past Friday.

My standard C&K toggles for the VP26 are very low but due in here on Wednesday.

Ed has just told me that 2503 stock will be shipping to me late next week.

best, Jeff

I've noticed that on the SL-2520 there's no ground pin (at least on the photo). How can that be?

There is no connection to ground on Scott's amps. From what I know, there was no (is no?) connection to ground on an original 2520 either. Only to a copper shield that was above the components in the thermal epoxy.

Gary only uses the C pin for some local power rail decoupling.

Cheers, Jeff

Jeff, thanks for a fast answer.
While we're talking about 312, one more question. I noticed that you're using 2623-1 transformer in your kits instead of 2503. Is the difference between them only in the number of windings (3 vs 4) or is there anything else?

Also, if I make an order for some parts and SL-2520, would you ship them together or are the DOAs shipped separately (and thus imply double shipping cost)?

Ilya

Ilya said:
Jeff, thanks for a fast answer.
While we're talking about 312, one more question. I noticed that you're using 2623-1 transformer in your kits instead of 2503. Is the difference between them only in the number of windings (3 vs 4) or is there anything else?

Also, if I make an order for some parts and SL-2520, would you ship them together or are the DOAs shipped separately (and thus imply double shipping cost)?

Ilya
Hi Ilya,

I only use the EA2623-1 for my VP26 kits. The traditional EA2503 is included with my VP25, VP312 and VP312DI kits. The EA2623-1 has two secondary windings while the EA2503 has three. Besides the overall size, they sound a little different. To my ears, the EA2623-1 slightly compresses and is closer to being "gritty" when compared to the EA2503. The VP26 is a recreation of the input channel mic pre from a mid 1970's API console. The AP2623-1's were used there nearly throughout. I have no 312 cards in my console only 325's. My friend Dennis in Sweden has had 2 different 2488 desks and neither had a 2503 in it. Only 2623-1's!

As for the SL-2520's, I only sell them as "add-ons" to my kits or with a preassembled preamp. If you are just buying misc parts from my store, I recommend buying the SL-2520's directly from Scott. Kindly ask him to send your opamps to me and I will send them with your store order. Make sure you tell me that in the order comments when you are checking out at my store. Scott has been shipping to me a lot lately so it will be no problem. We just did the same thing for a customer in Venezuela.

If you are buying some preamp kits, his red or blue dots can just be added onto your order. I usually try to have them in stock here for quick shipment. That has been a challenge lately though!

Hope that helps!
best, Jeff

Hey guys,

Toggle switches came in today so the VP26 kits are back in stock!

Cheers, Jeff

A stupid thing but I just ran across 4 EA2503's that I hid for a rainy day. New untouched of course. It's not raining but they are in stock at the store if anyone needs a few.  :)  Still waiting on the bigger order.

I also got in 8 of the cheaper 388 series t-pads if anyone needs some of those. They were a BO'ed part of my last order from a while back.

Best, Jeff

Hey guys,

The official version of the 51x PSU Components Kits are now in stock. These are high end, no compromise kits featuring goodies like only Panasonic 105 degree electrolytics. Complete product details can be found here.

Here is the full BOM with manufacturer part numbers.

Cheers, Jeff

I wish there were a step-by-step for the 51X Power Supply Bundle. I'm embarassed to admit it seems a bit intimidating to me, with my little experience. I had no problem with the rack, and I can build just about anything with instructions but the power supply will leave me closing my eyes and crossing my fingers when I hit the switch for the first time. :-[

@spiritworks
It's not too hard!  Just read through the support thread (especially the regulator/heatsink stuff). 

@Jeffy
Nice work on the PSU components!  Sourcing that stuff was definitely a PITA.

Mike

Spiritworks: It is pretty easy once you get into it. The things you need to watch for are mostly toroidal wiring. Sil-pads for the reg's too but it's pretty straight forward. Double check 4 times before flipping the switch the first time.  ;)

FWIW, I know our friend 'Chung is down for a few of these kits. Knowing him, he will have a very detailed, step-by-step with fantastic pics along the way!  :D

Hairballs:  :-* Thanks man!

I didn't find any of what I'm used to seeing as the sil pads that isolate the regulators from the heatsinks in my 51x PSU kit. Did these ship with the components for the PCB or am I just looking in the wrong place. No big deal, they are cheap as hell on mouser, but I was hoping not to have to wait for parts.

The whole PSU kit is AWESOME! I sat down last night and managed to get it halfway together before I had to give up. I'm counting on one or two more sittings. Can't wait. Stupid work always gets in the way. 

Brolik said:
I didn't find any of what I'm used to seeing as the sil pads that isolate the regulators from the heatsinks in my 51x PSU kit....
Yes correct. They are part of the components kits.

Best, Jeff

Latest posts

Back