Egnater Rebel 20...Wow!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emperor-TK

I know this isn't an amp forum, but that isn't going to stop me from singing about this little beastie.  ;)

I went over to the local Banjo center the other day to get some guitar strings and figured I'd plug into one of these to see if the hype was real, or if it was based solely on Egnater's advertising budget.  20 minutes later, I was walking out of the store with one, having spent a decent chunk of the money that I had earmarked to spend on a 65Amps head after the New York Amp show in May. I haven't been inside yet, so I can't offer any details on the circuit or the build quality.  Part of me doesn't even want to look so that my analytical side spoils all my fun.  The 80W "custom voiced" 12" Cellestion sounds great too, and I generally hate the sound of high wattage speakers.  This could be one of my favorite sounding amps I have ever owned, and there have been many over the past 25 years.

I wonder if this amp knows that it was made in China?

Does anyone want to buy a '73 100W Marshall head (seriously)?

http://www.egnateramps.com/Rebel20.html

Interesting I wonder if the mix knob shunts the grids to ground(DC or AC) of each output pair to turn off the pair.  So maybe a Dual 500K pot with the wipers at ground(if cathode biased output stage) or at a - VDC fixed node(fixed bias) and the outside of the pot to the G1 connections of the 6v6 and el84s and a nice 8k to 10K primary output transformer.  I would guess cathodyne PI like a deluxe and not to overdrive the el84s too much.

If you like it I would guess the output transformer is a good size for a 20 watt amp.

I would like to relive my youth  , if
the Marshall's not like ten hundred dollars ,
if it's clean you should do o.k.
what did the rebel put you back ?

It's a 100w superlead.  It's relatively clean, with the worst offense being a fan drilled into the side of the box by the previous owner (I purchased it circa 1992).  It has a very reversible master volume mod at the phase inverter, but without any extra chassis holes.  It's missing the Marshall logo, and is probably due for a retubing.  This was my main bass amp for years, and was the best of three early 70's Marshalls that I owned.

I haven't checked what they are worth lately, but I'll cut any lab member a deal from going rate.

After playing with the Egnater more today, this time at full open volumes, it definitely seems like this amp was voiced to be run a lower volumes (like in a music store).  Full open, it needs a good deal of treble rolled off, but still sounds great once this is done.  I'm pretty sure that in the near future, I'll be changing the treble boost switch to a treble cut.  Still, at this point in my life, I need an amp that likes to be at low volume to get the best tone.  Hence the sale of the 100w Marshall....  ;)

The Egnater was $599 for the head, $250 for the cab.

marshall1.jpg

marshall2.jpg

marshall3.jpg

marshall4.jpg

marshall5.jpg

Greg, your PM inbox was full, so I'll answer here.  I suspect that $1000 is in the ballpark, but I need to do a little more research.  I know it's not going to fetch plexi prices, but I'm not sure if the turret board makes it more valuable than the PCB versions that started right after mine was made.

did some looking around for patents on screen voltage control of output tubes

http://www.google.com/patents?id=5dciAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&dq=5550509#PPA1,M1    1996

http://www.google.com/patents?id=Jh84AAAAEBAJ          1981

http://www.londonpower.com/pscaling.htm

Emperor-TK said:
I haven't been inside yet, so I can't offer any details on the circuit or the build quality. 

TK, If you get a change to look under the hood let us know how they have the tube mix setup. I would like to mod my amp to mix between the two tube sets. It's got to be something easy.

Latest posts

Back