PGA2500 KITS: AVAILABLE. BLACK PCB, SUPPORT THREAD.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, you mean 6PCB's left that i will have to solder the PGA by my own right, and maybe another batch for next year for full kit, but no PCB pre-soldered?

Ok, well smd is not a technique i'm very used to, solder paste maybe can do the trick, with oven technique but a little too much for a novice i think  ::), i have a micro solder iron that could do the job, any advice?? how are you mounting it?
I'll be using 63/37 no clean. For doing the job right, i will need to put some solder first on the PCB and then put the Chipset and heat the legs no???, but what about the heat applied for a while until the 28 legs are soldered correcly??  will this cause a problem? I know the quicker the better but just asking... Thanks for helping out...
I was searching for a crystal clear type preamp, and this project is really cool, could build a nice 4 preamp in a 1U in the future, i just want to purchase PCB's before they are gone but haven't thought on soldering the chipset by my own, maybe it's time to try this, but let me think about it and will get back to you shorty, waiting for your advice...

Tony, the key is just a good iron with constant temp., 0.4mm solder, good liquid flux and magnification lense. 
Search YouTube or Google for SMD soldering video.
After some time you will find soldering 100-pin SMD chip with 0.5mm step takes same time as soldering 10x 1/4W resistors.

Yep i was doing search right now, i think it's time to start SMD and i can test my skills before also on some smd resistors etc....
Ok so what would be your total price of 4 PCB's and PSU plus shipping to France then, without microcontroller. Thanks Igor!

Ahem... I guess you mean PGA2500 chip. I don't think you want enter into the mess with programming your own controller :)
The price already include microcontroller's price. It is same with or without.
This is BUILD SUPPORT thread. All questions about pricing, etc-here:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=29771.0
or by pm.
Let's keep building thread clean, just think about reading 150 posts to find info you need. Thanx!

Can anyone in this thread tell me where they got their PGA2500 chips?

They are out of stock at RS and Farnell in the UK, and Digikey and Mouser in the US, and not available until next year by the look of it.

Igor - know any reliable sources ? ;)

rob_gould said:
Can anyone in this thread tell me where they got their PGA2500 chips?

They are out of stock at RS and Farnell in the UK, and Digikey and Mouser in the US, and not available until next year by the look of it.

Igor - know any reliable sources ? ;)

The earliest you'll get any in the UK is the end of January 2010. then only if you ordered in October.
It is the same tale for any of the large UK distributors. They are being rationed too, 6 chips per customer.
This of course puts your order in the higher price band too, currently £22 each !!!!  Good job I bought 12 a while ago.

Hi Igor, sorry to bother for this, but im having a hard time finding the 2 Row 8 Pin connector with housing  (SP1) for ribbon cable, do you have the Farnell Reference? I've searched on Farnell, Digikey... but can't get my hands on something that will fit. Thanks in advance.

Yes, this will do the job, just check twice the pin orientation before connection :)

Oh i forgot to ask you something, i've also had a hard time finding the 50uf capacitor for C25/C26, i went for 56uf, i tought that with the tolerance this will be no trouble, but i just want to make sure, maybe i'm wrong? (i'm still a rookie in electronics) but i see that from the schema, these are related to the Common Mode Rejection pot, so changing the value could mess up this part ??? I said to myself electronic is not an exact technologie so.... Thanks Igor

PS: I'm still a rookie, but i have basic electronic skills, good hand and soldering skills and a lots of patience so i don't think this building will be too hard, like everything else beeing careful gets the job done,  so don't worry i'll check everything on my work and infos on prodigy to get my answers, i know that you're a busy man. Thanks a lot Igor

Tony, it's OK. These caps can be 47uF as well, like:
http://il.farnell.com/panasonic/eca1vam470x/capacitor-47uf-35v/dp/8767246
(for example, these caps are cheap, but have good performance).

Back