Modding a Roland VS2400CD, op amp upgrade questions.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echomancer

I've decided that the biggest advantage I could get in my sound right now would be to upgrade the stock NE5532's(mic pres / DIL package) and JRC4570(for main output, SMDs) in my Roland VS2400CD. I had a few questions about Op Amp choices, and was hoping you knowledgeable guys could throw some info around.

First, I'm particularly interested in the Burr Brown OPA2134 and OPA2604 as replacements (i've heard audio samples of both, and they are simply BRILLIANT compared to my stock 5532s!!!). I know the slew rate of the 2134 is 20 V/us and 25 V/us for the 2604. Is this fast enough for an audio op amp?

Can you recommend some other op amps as replacements to the 5537s and 4570s? What about the BB INA103/INA163, are those 5532 compatible replacements?

I'm also wondering what would be an insanely accurate amp to stick in there. I ask this because I want some channels to be as accurate as possible for when I run the line outs of my DIY amps (Green will be my first) into the VS, to maintain sonic character as closely as possible.

Finally, would there be any advantages to replacing the caps around these amps w/ higher quality polyXXXX types? What about my mains transformer, should I purchase a cleaner one?

If I do this, I plan on doing half my channels in OPA2134 and half in OP2604 so I can have varried inputs which will (hopefully) be useful when it comes time to actually layer and mix all my source signals.

Thanks for the input guys!

Back