ELA M 251 clone finished ! (sound file added ! )

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e.oelberg

here are some pics of the mic I just finished, it's an ELA M 250 clone, the relay based pattern switch has no Figure of 8 but 2 cardoids, front and back ... they sound a little different, but maybe I'll change it for figure of 8. Nielsk did a similiar relay based 251 ! Pin 2 (Pattern) and 7 carry 5 Volt for the relays.
Very quiet mic, VERY good sound btw

here is a small recording of a great singers voice, yesterday made in my studio, no EQ, Compressor nothing yet....  Pres are PGA2500 by the way,
AD Prism
I think Tim Campbells CT12 sound incredible !
listen

voice: ELA M 251

git: gefell m582 m62
cello: gefell m582 m62

nicholas

Lovely !!!!!  :) Very Very nice....Now for the questions ...What capsule did you use? where did you get yr T14/1...I see your dc blocking cap is 3.3uf in some schematics for the Ela with the 6072 & T14/1 they use a 1UF do you know what thats about.....Ive just been auditioning different value & brands of caps & transformers in my somewhat uglyer Ela 251.Oops forgot ta ask Is that black thing a 30 M resistor where did you get that ? I had to use 3 x 10M cheers

Thanks for sharing your great work.

gary o said:
Lovely !!!!!  :) Very Very nice....Now for the questions ...What capsule did you use? where did you get yr T14/1...I see your dc blocking cap is 3.3uf in some schematics for the Ela with the 6072 & T14/1 they use a 1UF do you know what thats about.....Ive just been auditioning different value & brands of caps & transformers in my somewhat uglyer Ela 251.Oops forgot ta ask Is that black thing a 30 M resistor where did you get that ? I had to use 3 x 10M cheers

Thanks for sharing your great work.

The transformer is from Haufe, you can order it directly from them. I had a smaller cap in there before and I like the bass response better now, I had a 2.2 mundorf cap, WIMA 3.3 sounds better. The capsule is Tim Campbells remake of a brass CK12, I can't tell you how it compares to a Original CK12, but I can tell you that it sound fabulous !

nicholas

Thanks Nicholas ....A relay of coarse mine is just cardoid...I read somewhere that the smaller cap was so not to saturate the little T14/1 s core......I have a little T14/1 from a AKG C28A I tried different caps none o which sounded bad I even tried an old 4uf oil can, it sounded best to me ...but was bigger than the mic ha....Sadly I have no too ...but glad your capsule somes great...do you mind me askin how much did capsule cost ?.... Im using a Violet lollipop Vin 67 at the moment {capsule meant to sound like a U67) so mines a bit of a mixture but sounds good to me.

Cheers

in the c12 is a 0.47.. I don't know.. in this case the 3.3µF sounded best to my ears. The capsule cost about 250 €, I think it very much worth it.

Thanks for the resistor Nicholas very kind of you ....Im ok tho thanks...yeah in the C28A there a 3.2uf C28A Im told is same circuit as C12 tho as you say dc blockin cap in C12 is .5uf I think i read that the Ela in impedance converter type circuit which is different from C12 c28 In this link below dont know if you read it before but very interesting...

http://www.saturn-sound.com/Curio's/elam_microphones.htm

the mic body is one of the austrian ones which were for sale at the black market. I gave them to gleier galvanik and they gave them the usual Neumann finish

nicholas

Very nice!
Is the capsule dual backplate?
I like the PS box, too, a very good looking package
The sound file would not play for me?
It would be great to have a way to compare the different capsules, I used a Peluso in the 1st one, I have a pull from a C12VR I am going to try

yes, it's basically a replica of the brass ck12. The soundfile is .aif 24 bit so if you pc guys have problems load it in quicktime,

nicholas

I'm so glad to hear that you're happy with the capsule.

There are a few other people from the forum who've bought capsules from me that I'm still waiting to get some reactions from.

It's been covered in another thread but, The capsules cost 2000 danish kroner without a mounting bracket. Shipping to the U.K. by registered mail is about 100 danish kroner.

The mic sounds very nice, indeed; big yet natural.

I hear quite a bit of noise, though. Is that ambient noise or the mic itself?
The Haufe transformer looks tiny in comparison to that fat 3.3u cap. Is it really that small? And how much did it cost?

Rossi said:
The mic sounds very nice, indeed; big yet natural.

I hear quite a bit of noise, though. Is that ambient noise or the mic itself?

... thats the macbooks fan running low, keep in mind that this has been sung VERY soft, to get an idea of the SNR. We were pretty hungry at this point in the studio so after a few seconds singing you hear this very typical "hungry belly sound".

I changed the cap again, now its a russian MP Cap 0.47.... now very small, the bass was saturating too fast. I'm not really convinced by the haufe T14/1 Bass response, it's a new one, I ordered it at Haufe for 45€. The russian MP Caps do sound fantastic btw guess they are filled with PCB, I wouldn't open one, but they look very solid.

nicholas

Latest posts

Back