MXL 990 mic mod...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owel

I've never done mic modding before... I have this mic.
http://www.mxlmics.com/condencer_mic/900_Series/MXL990/mxl990.htm

While it sounds fine for my home studio purposes, I wonder if there's a way to make it even better.

Any recommendations on what mic mod will be good for this one?

So that's got the same capsule as the 603s, if I'm not mistaken, which in the thread dedicated to that mic is said to be quite nice - basically a KM-84 capsule w/ a wide cardioid pattern, unless the pattern variation is specific to the pencil housing.

I was actually thinking about these mics as there's more room to cram a new circuit into it, including your choice of transformers. I don't know if there's even enough room to really do the mini tubes, but I've got no beef with a good FET circuit. Mic moding isn't something I've paid attention to, so I'm no help, but I'm into this project.

Bear

I too am very interested in modding this mic. It sounds particularly nice on many sources, vocals included, already.

There is TONS of extra room inside. Perhaps even enough for a full size tube if I remember correctly, certanly enough for a mini tube. Also, the circuit board is very spread out and very accessible so it would make a great project for mods that even beginners could do without a high degree of incidence. It is transformerless as stock.

Shane

The circuit is just like the 603S, so the same mods will work. Mainly replace the 680pf ceramic between the capsule and FET with a 1000pF polystyrene, and replace the two .22uF ceramics with Panasonic metal films. Only difference is that here you should be able to use much bigger caps than .22uFs because there's more room.

Is there a better FET circuit to do, rather than just upgrading the existing?

Bear

IMO that type circuit is a very good one with good caps and the fet biased right.

For some the LACK of a sound with good caps might be a problem.

IMO when the circuit has good parts and good bias it is very clean.

In that case a low voltage tube stage for warmth would be what they want

It can be overloaded with a sax, loud singer etc up close but untill overload it is very clean. A higher voltage tube circuit might be the answer.

IMO no need to change the semiconducters just the caps in the audio section

Latest posts

Back