need advice on face plate punching.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

versuviusx

hey i'm trying to build a face plate. the reason why is because i bought one off line and it was way to thin in width. so i went to the local sheet metal place and told them to cut it to my dimensions. it was cheap aluminum and i made sure the width would be right. i like a lot better than the mid atlantic stuff. anyways now i want to drill some holls for being able to rack them. does anyone know how to get the holes right. i won't be able to get sliding holes as that is way to expensive. i went to this guy who professional punches holes and he quoted me that it would cost like $300 for him to finish the job i needed. so i'm gonna try to do it my self to save some money. so i went to a hardware store and bought a 90 degree triangle and i'm trying to get an X,Y coordinate by measuring(for the left side) how far it is from the left and then how far it is from the top or bottom. does anyone have these measurments so i can compare? if i can get these measurments i can just use a sharpie and draw a line up and down and horizontal from left to right and then draw a point and then that is where i will start my drilling. i tried putting the face plate on my rack and then taking a pen and drawing around the holes from behind, but it's not accurate enough. the drawings of the holes don't line up. i think if i could post a pic...this would make more sense. what i plan on doing is first making a template out of the aluminum plate and then using that for the other face plates that i plan on making. that way i can save time. if anyone has any suggestions or has the measurments please post.

18 and 3/8 inches
1 and 1/4 inches
you can match drill it to the rack if it's a home made rack.
jsut clamp it to the rack and drill thru both the project and the rack at the same time.
otherwise, just lay out the above dims, spaced evenly from both sides and top and bottom.

From the canford web site
http://www.canford.co.uk/techzone/19inchrackandipprotectionPDF.pdf

Mix together with this
http://www.pacificsites.com/~brooke/Rack.shtml

And you have all you need

Latest posts

Back