Leevers Rich amp modules 5 in a rack,...now with added pics...info needed

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary o

Got 5 amps in a rack case Leevers Rich....two have meters & 1x EF86 1X ecc81 transformer BIg others are 2X ECC83 & 1 X ECC81 smaller transformer Think they came from cinema...very well made il post pictures later gotta go & sing for my money now, 2 gigs in a row all I wanna do is fiddle with these...be great if anyone has any info on these...Cheers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCx7UQEIA5I

found this i seem to have the five units under the tape deck.

heres a pic

Interesting BBc used these as had better high frequency than EMI s.

Id like to find schematics .....& wonder what to do with them ....

found this nice little site

http://www.vintagerecorders.co.uk/VR_View_Page.asp?IDS=27

a nice couple a guys over at tape recorder forum came up with this info

you appear to have is the amplifier nest from a Leevers Rich F16/8 Mk2 Film recorder. This was a machine produced for sound duplicating from a 16mm mag or optical master onto 8mm mag striped copies, built around 1963. It could run at normal or double speed hence the 24/48 frame switch.The electronics is basically the same as for tape, even the equalisation standard for 16mm was100us, same as old CCIR 7.5 ips. The replay amps will work easily enough if you provide 290 volts HT and 12.6 volts DC for the heaters. The heads were low impedance (8 mH). Since you don`t have the PSU you also don`t have the Erase / Bias oscillator and you probably don`t have the record equalise panel either so recording is going to be hard work.

bit more detail - You have three 40P5 replay amps and two 40S5 record amps. The replay amps should all be the same other than differences in EQ components between 8mm and 16mm types. The input is through the "kinda din" sockets which are actually a Mcmurdo type, probably no longer available. Note that if you bypass these they have a shorting contact so you must take them out of circuit. The main output is on the back of the nest,from the jack sockets and also from the 24 pin painton socket you should see. Output level is up to +24 dBm into 600 ohms (balanced) ( up to 8 volts) or remove the padding resistors and they will feed 200 ohms. The socket on the front is 10dB below the main output level and can be used to feed headphones. It is from a separate winding on the O/P transformer and will not affect the main O/P. The small pot on the back is to set the direct gain so that you can do a direct comparison between input and output using the direct / monitor switch while recording.
The 40S5 record amp does not have a Mic input, it is line in only. ( the Mic version is a 40R* and has an extra valve, they are quite rare) The main input is 600 ohm bridging (balanced) through the jacks at the rear and again through the painton connector. The socket on the front is a break jack which gives a high impedance input bypassing the balance transformer. The big square transformer is as you suggest actually an O/P choke, the main output goes through the 12 pin unitor socket and would feed the record equaliser panelwhere there is a matching transformer to drive the record head. There is also an output for the direct feed into the replay amp and an output to feed anothe VU meter in parallel with the one on the front of the amp. The meter is set by the small pot on the back of the amp.

The input transformer on the 40S5 amps is a 1 : 1 line bridging transformer, normally loaded with10k - 100k It is large because it is capable of taking levels of up to +30dBm.
The input transformer on the 40P5 amp can be smaller since it only has to handle a few millivolts from the replay head. I can`t remember the ratio but it would probably also be suitable for 50 - 200 ohm Mics. You are correct about the O/P stage, a push pull circuit with a long tailed pair phase splitter, advanced for the time and very good performance.
Leevers Rich transformers were made to their own specifications by a number of different manufacturers, at this time probably Gilson and James, as far as I know they went out of business about 1973

Latest posts

Back